The GM Assistance/Keeping Things Moving Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:58:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The GM Assistance/Keeping Things Moving Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The GM Assistance/Keeping Things Moving Act (Debating)  (Read 2086 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« on: September 09, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »

I'm not sure if an elected Game Moderator is a really good idea, we could have individuals who could do a magnificent job but be denied the positions due to little political support. Furthermore, it is crucial to avoid the position from being politiced as much as we can, an if it was elected I fear the neutrality that's currently left in the position might go away.

I do support this (perhaps we could clarify the language if we have several assistants and the GM resgins, or formally create a Deputy GM), but I am interested as well in the possibility of enacting a reform of the cabinet to make it more flexible, and not only in regards to the GM. As Cynic suggested we could split the SoIA position and formally allow for all the cabinet members to legally appoint deputies (Something we already do with the AG, and for example, the SoEA could appoint a Deputy to control the Defense Department if there was someone interested).

Or, we could take a third option and go with SirNick's proposal during the past presidential election, create a GM team to split the work (perhaps one for foreign news, one for domestic news and a third person to calculate). Creating more positions is in a way a problem, but if the positions are more attractice it would be easier to find people willing to fill them.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:31:49 PM »

Should we clarify that any appointed assistants would have to undergo the confirmation by the Senate?

I think that would be a good idea, even it might take additional time for the assistant to serve we already have confirmations for the Deputy Attorney General (which is pretty much a position based on updating the wiki).

I don't know if I'm correct with my assumption, but maybe we would find more people inclined to do the job of a split GM if there was some exemption from the dual officeholding here? I guess there are a few people who would like to do one of the offices created (I guess domestic news/international news/numbers would be the best way to split it), but of course don't want to give up their elected office... Of course it would be impossible to be both the sole GM and hold elected office, but with the GM being split?

That would increase the turnout, but there's always the issue of using the position for personal gain. On the other hand, some of the moves by Griffin and Simfan (the Aliens from China story and the new calendar) were rejected by the public and eventually ignored or defeated, so if the rest is willing to take such a step as a last resort measure (assuming we will go with assistants or deputies first as Cynic said) I wouldn't oppose it.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »

What will the term for the GM helpers be? I think we should stick to either deputy or assistant, but I don't mind which.

I reccomend Deputy, after all it is an official cabinet position and it emphasizes that it will have powers (granted, those will be determined by the GM, but since the assistant is supposed to replace him for a time it's better to make it as official as we can to avoid a loophole).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 06:26:37 PM »

I'm ready to move this to final vote if we're finished?

I think we're almost finished here as well, but I do have a small concern. Should we have two Deputy GM's and the GM were to resign, who gets to be the nominal GM? Section one says "Deputies" and section two says "Deputy", so we should probably clear that detail.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 10:12:10 AM »

I'm ready to move this to final vote if we're finished?

I think we're almost finished here as well, but I do have a small concern. Should we have two Deputy GM's and the GM were to resign, who gets to be the nominal GM? Section one says "Deputies" and section two says "Deputy", so we should probably clear that detail.

The position really should only be for one deputy, but the ambiguous wording comes from the fact that we could potentially have a news agency named GM and news agencies in the past have sometimes been multiple people. In that case, I would assume it would be for the agency to work out. In all other instances, the GM really should only appoint one assistant.

Well, that sounds reasonable, and those who help a news agency may not need a formal title as a Deputy GM would. Should we amend Deputy GM's to just a single Deputy or go with the final vote?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 12:20:32 PM »

The sponsor has offered an amendment, Senators have 24 hours to object.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 09:16:37 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sorry, I forgot to notify that the amendment had been adopted.

Very well, Senators, a vote on The GM Assistance/Keeping Things Moving Act is now open. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 04:24:20 PM »

I urge the Senate to hold off on this bill until a new GM has been confirmed.
I guess I will motion for a delay of this final vote then, until we have a GM.

Btw, SirNick is back, so you could appoint him, DemPGH?

Such a delay will not be considered friendly by me.

In all fairness, Cranberry can only motion to extend the vote for 72 extra hours via injuction and with the support of another Senator, the only real way to halt the vote depends on Vice-President Tyrion as President of the Senate (and the procedure is a bit complicated).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »

I suppose we have reached a majority of 5-0, but I prefer to wait until at least six Senators have voted, so I plan to close the vote tomorrow.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 07:28:25 PM »

Right, this has enough votes to pass. Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 10:13:44 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2014, 01:36:22 PM by Senator Lumine (PPT) »

Aye (sorry, I was sure I had voted).

With seven votes in the affirmative and three not voting, the GM Assistance/Keeping Things Moving Act passes the Senate and is now presented to the President for his signature, redraft or veto.

Aye (7)Sad Senator Cynic, Senator TNF, Senator Cranberry, Senator Bore, Senator Yankee, Senator Deus and PPT Lumine.
Nay (0)Sad
Abstained (0)Sad

Not Voting (3)Sad Senator Cassius, Senator JCL and Senator Polnut.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies