Regulatory Overhaul and Review Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:57:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regulatory Overhaul and Review Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Regulatory Overhaul and Review Act (Debating)  (Read 3235 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: September 08, 2014, 06:59:34 PM »

Nix is correct, regulations are formed both as a consequence of Act of the Legislature, to better specify the operation/management/structure of the Act. The other is delegated legislation that does not require, due to its scale/scope, the consent of the legislature. Regulation is also usually written and managed by people who actually understand the issue the regulation deals with.

The regulatory system itself works and there's no way I'm supporting this Bill.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:48:49 PM »

You have ANY idea how many specific regulations there are? The work of the Senate would grind to a halt if they were expected to sign off every-single-piece of regulation. This is exactly the reason why delegated legislation exists. To give clear instructions to public servants to enable them to execute our policy prescriptions and legislation. Without needing to return to the Senate.

I'd prefer you give our public servants a little more credit and respect. They operate within clear limits and bounds, they do not have the right to interpret regulations themselves, they operate within them. They are not bound up in daily petty-politics as we are, their role is to do as they are instructed, regardless of political interests or views.

The current regulatory arrangements do work, there is no evidence that they do not work in doing what they are intended to do. Unless you have some generalised issues with 'regulation' as a thing. I believe I justified my position to support existing arrangements in this response.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 12:44:57 AM »

It takes the worst parts out of it I guess. No objections.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 07:15:17 AM »

If it's an Act, it needs an Act to repeal it.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 11:27:53 PM »

Abstain
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 04:12:40 AM »

I'd really like to know what the point of this Bill is now.

I don't see what it's actually going to do in practice. Which is what we are supposed to be here working on.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 11:15:06 PM »

I've just become totally apathetic on this Bill... I don't see what it's really going to do, or anything vaguely positive it's going to achieve.

Noting... that we don't actually have text of specific regulations to repeal.

Once this vote is done, I'm moving to table.

ABSTAIN 
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 11:27:19 PM »

I've just become totally apathetic on this Bill... I don't see what it's really going to do, or anything vaguely positive it's going to achieve.

Noting... that we don't actually have text of specific regulations to repeal.

Once this vote is done, I'm moving to table.

ABSTAIN  
The bill states quite clearly that it will set up a thread where people can present regulations for repeal and then have the Senate vote on whether or not to do so. I get that you try to be as vague as possible but if there's something about the bill you don't understand I'd suggest you be more specific.

Also, I don't think you can table a bill that's already been passed.

Ugh... brain melt on my part.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 06:26:07 PM »

Debate should be resumed.

So would a citizen be able to say, "I want Clause 6 removed from Statute Y from 2010" and then the Senate would vote to repeal it? Hmm.

As far as I understood the bill; this would just be for regulations, not bills passed by the Senate, but regulations passed by different levels of administrations. So I would guess no.

But again.... what regulations? Where is the list?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 06:55:06 PM »

Because it's been a waste of time and I should have picked up on it sooner.

I apologise to the people of Atlasia who actually want us dealing with things we can actually do something about.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 05:31:33 PM »

I've thought it over and come to the conclusion that the current version would be pretty ineffectual, so I'd actually like to resume debate and try to fix that, though I hope that resumption of debate won't be used for a tabling attempt by those who have no intention of trying to improve the bill.

My idea (which I will introduce in amendment form soon) is to amend the bill to allow people to introduce proposals to repeal categories of regulation rather than singular regulations. It's virtually impossible to dig up the specific names of regulations, so it would be much simpler to just enable people to propose "the repeal of all regulations mandating x standards for x product" and just have the Senate vote on that.

However, I understand that many Labor Senators may be uneasy with giving the Senate the hypothetical ability to repeal all labor regulations with a single vote, so I would be open to excepting certain regulatory domains.

And Polnut, you've got to be kidding me. I can't believe you're whining so hyperbolically about temporarily using one slot in the queue for a bill you admit will has no potential negative side effects.

Actually, no effects at all.

There's nothing hyperbolic about saying it's a waste of time and won't do anything at all.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 09:18:20 PM »

Do be careful Polnut, that can be a rather slippery slope in a game environment if you get what I mean. Wink

Indeed.

But I'm stepping back on this one.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 12:01:09 AM »

If you are uncomfortable with giving the Senate the power to repeal labor regulations in the manner in this bill prescribes I'm fine with that, just introduce an amendment.

Anyway, the point of this is just to create a comprehensive thread where we can easily discuss and vote on regulatory matters. If this is unsuccessful I will probably just introduce a bunch of deregulation bills and we'll discuss all of them separately.

That sounds oddly threatening, lol.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »

Abstain
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length