Regulatory Overhaul and Review Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:50:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regulatory Overhaul and Review Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Regulatory Overhaul and Review Act (Debating)  (Read 3238 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: September 08, 2014, 02:53:15 PM »
« edited: September 08, 2014, 02:54:58 PM by Senator bore »

This is an awful bill, for reasons I posted here when deus originally posted it:
So, as promised, I'm going to say a few words on my opponents platform. If you want to read all of Deus's platform you can do so here, but I simply don't have the time to comment on all of it. The one thing that did leap to my attention and is IMO, utterly crazy, and I don't think that's to strong a word, was the proposed Regulatory Overhaul and Review Act that Deus would introduce:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now my immediate thought on reading this, was, this seems like a perfect example of Chesterton's fence. There is almost always a good reason for regulations, as we've found after almost mining accident, every instance of commercial food poisoning, every instance of misleading advertising. To want to repeal all regulations but the very few mentioned in a thread in the senate is insanity.

Even if you cleave to a worldview that places freedom as it's highest goal, you should still support most regulations because the freedom not to be sold a product that doesn't do what it says it would, the freedom not to worry about the food you bought being poisoned, the freedom not to die in the workplace are far more important than a companies (and in most cases, it will be companies) freedom to act in a crappy manner.

I, like any sensible individual, would support repealing regulations that are unnecessary, but this is patently the wrong way to do that.

As well, this bill makes section 3 unnecessary.

The problem with this bill is that, as deus and other libertarians make clear, there are so many regulations that even if every atlasian citizen spent all day looking for ones to keep, we'd still miss out a huge chunk.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 07:02:18 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2014, 07:08:23 AM by Senator bore »

Proposing an amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:29:24 AM »

I can make a good guess Tongue
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »

Why not make it so there is a general way of quickly repealing all useless laws and not just regulations?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 07:13:40 AM »

Why not make it so there is a general way of quickly repealing all useless laws and not just regulations?

What would you have in mind? Changing statute requires an act of the legislative branch.

I was thinking that people could propose any legislation passed by the senate for repeal in the same way as outlined for regulations. Although I'm to sure whether that would be legal. It would also have to be clear to senators that this was for repealing useless laws, not laws which are still in effect but have consequences people disagree with, though I think that's doable.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:34:37 AM »

Never mind then.

I think we're ready for a final vote.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »

Aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 07:16:38 AM »

I don't think that the redraft is actually necessary. A majority is normally taken to be 50+1 which would be 6-5 anyway.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 06:35:22 AM »

Abstain

The redraft doesn't bother me one way or the other.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 05:57:58 AM »

Abstain
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies