What do you call the first and last slices of a loaf of bread?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:14:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What do you call the first and last slices of a loaf of bread?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well that would the...
end

crust

heel

butt

nose

uh, I dunno?

other answer

awful bits I throw away

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: What do you call the first and last slices of a loaf of bread?  (Read 4694 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2014, 08:15:43 AM »

My partner looked at me like I was from another country when I called those slices the "heels." I began thinking perhaps it was just a weird thing my family said. It certainly isn't. She calls them the crusts, which makes sense. I have no idea why we call them heels.

End Crust Heel Butt Nose Nothing Other

!!! Bonus Question Wow !!! If you never eat these slices please also vote for the last option.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:19:31 AM »

My partner looked at me like I was from another country when I called those slices the "heels." I began thinking perhaps it was just a weird thing my family said. It certainly isn't. She calls them the crusts, which makes sense. I have no idea why we call them heels.

End Crust Heel Butt Nose Nothing Other

!!! Bonus Question Wow !!! If you never eat these slices please also vote for the last option.

Crust I guess.  I just call it the good part.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »

The end pieces are the best part of the loaf.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 08:30:54 AM »

Ends
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 08:59:57 AM »

Heel

and I use them as hot dog buns or feed them to the dogs...unless it's winter, then they go to the birds.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 09:05:06 AM »

After thinking about it for more than five seconds, calling it the heel makes perfect sense if you're not talking about the generic, square shaped loaves.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 09:11:29 AM »

Crust or end piece.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 09:20:24 AM »

I call them "rumps", but I'm probably the only one. Not that it matters what they're called, since I always end up feeding them to the birds anyway.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 09:35:19 AM »

bird feed
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 09:37:50 AM »

Scheaschz (in local dialect)

(if you want to listen how it is pronounced, click on the audio-file in this link, next to the word Scheaschz, 3rd from the bottom)

"Scherz" in the regular Austro-Bavarian writing.

"Scherz" is generally used to refer to this in the Austrian/Bavarian dialect areas. A Northern-German would probably use something else (we need to ask Franzl, because I actually have no clue what they use there).

In fact, "Scherz" here means 2 things: the bread-related end-stuff and "joke".

In English, I'd probably use "tail-(end)".
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »

End pieces
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 10:49:49 AM »

"Rampfdl" in local dialect, but unfortunately I don't have such a fancy file like Tender has...

Pronounce it like the "ra" in "ramen noodles", and good luck with the "mpfdl" (the p isn't pronounced heavily, but it's still audible... It's hard to explain it Tongue)

In High German I'd say "Ende" or something like that, but I have no clue what they call it...

I do know Tender's word, but no one uses it here, even though we're just ~100 kilometres apart Tongue

In English I'd probably say "end" or "end piece" or something like that

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 10:57:44 AM »

I voted for end, although I usually say the "end piece."  I also voted for heel because I've heard that one as well. 

I rather enjoy them, actually, and I save the first one till I get to the other end of the package and use them together.  Toasted, of course, with tuna, copious mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, and sliced fresh jalapeño from my garden.  For grilled cheese, the variety with no mayonnaise or other condiment, to be served with tomato soup, I turn them inside out and use the outer side hold together the melted cheese.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 11:46:08 AM »

It's the heel, and I typically do not eat them. That said, I had never thought of feeding them to the birds and will do that from now on. I have mostly thrown them out in the past.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 11:56:19 AM »

I've been inspired by this thread to learn more.  A few (unconfirmed) tidbits:

Apparently if a woman prefers the endpiece when she's pregnant then she's going to have a boy.

Among the German-speaking (PennsylfaniDeutsch) residents of Lancaster County, it is called Schpitzel.

Centuries ago, when a new loaf was taken from the oven, bread was often sliced lengthwise (perpendicular to the way it is commonly sliced now), and the first slice from the top of the loaf was given to the person of the highest social standing.  Hence the term 'upper crust' to describe such a person.

Grunchsteak, humpfermumber, krunka, and bottom are also words used to denote the endpiece.

M-W.com defines heel as "one of the crusty ends of a loaf of bread" which would imply that "crusty end" is another expression for this part of the loaf.

Otto Frederick Rohwedder of Davenport, Iowa invented the first loaf-at-a-time bread-slicing machine in 1912.  He called them, quite simply, "crusts."  

In 1943, the federal government imposed a ban on sliced bread.  The ban was imposed on January 18 as a wartime conservation matter.  Only bakeries complied, but some other distributors did not.   New York Area Supervisor of the Food Distribution Administration John Conaboy wrote in February that "to protect the cooperating bakeries against the unfair competition of those who continue to slice their own bread, we are prepared to take stern measures if necessary."  After many complaints, the ban was rescinded on March 8 of the same year.  No word yet on how Conaboy might have referred to the endpieces.

We actually do feed ours to the waterfowl sometimes, although I prefer to give them Graham Crackers when we have those.  The local geese, swan, and ducks seem to enjoy them, but as far as I can tell they use the same word to describe both Graham Crackers and endpieces.  

I should probably get back to work now...

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »

The ends.  All slices of bread have crust.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »

"Rampfdl" in local dialect, but unfortunately I don't have such a fancy file like Tender has...

Pronounce it like the "ra" in "ramen noodles", and good luck with the "mpfdl" (the p isn't pronounced heavily, but it's still audible... It's hard to explain it Tongue)

In High German I'd say "Ende" or something like that, but I have no clue what they call it...

I do know Tender's word, but no one uses it here, even though we're just ~100 kilometres apart Tongue

"Rampfdl" ?

Never heard of that one.

And you are not even in the Alemannic-German speaking area, which means we should have more or less the same name for that thing ... Wink
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 12:10:53 PM »

"Rampfdl" ?

Never heard of that one.

And you are not even in the Alemannic-German speaking area, which means we should have more or less the same name for that thing ... Wink

Haha, yeah that's a word unique to my immediate area Tongue

I have no clue how they call it down in the Unterland, probably same as you there.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »

In 1943, the federal government imposed a ban on sliced bread.  The ban was imposed on January 18 as a wartime conservation matter.  Only bakeries complied, but some other distributors did not.   New York Area Supervisor of the Food Distribution Administration John Conaboy wrote in February that "to protect the cooperating bakeries against the unfair competition of those who continue to slice their own bread, we are prepared to take stern measures if necessary."  After many complaints, the ban was rescinded on March 8 of the same year.  No word yet on how Conaboy might have referred to the endpieces.
Any idea for the purpose of the ban?  I can't think of a (good) reason.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »

In 1943, the federal government imposed a ban on sliced bread.  The ban was imposed on January 18 as a wartime conservation matter.  Only bakeries complied, but some other distributors did not.   New York Area Supervisor of the Food Distribution Administration John Conaboy wrote in February that "to protect the cooperating bakeries against the unfair competition of those who continue to slice their own bread, we are prepared to take stern measures if necessary."  After many complaints, the ban was rescinded on March 8 of the same year.  No word yet on how Conaboy might have referred to the endpieces.
Any idea for the purpose of the ban?  I can't think of a (good) reason.
It would enable the slicers at commercial bakeries to be recycled for other things than need steel.  Also would have enabled the tooling used to make and maintain the slicers to be repurposed or recycled.  Probably wouldn't have yielded all that much metal and a number of those wartime recycling drives were more effective as propaganda than actual useful material.

And the ends have more crust than the inner pieces.  I generally call them the crusts, but I have heard heels often enough that it isn't strange.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 01:31:40 PM »

Depends on the person I talk to. The word I picked up from my parents is Bödeli, derived from Bode (Standard German Boden "ground, floor, bottom") with the diminutive suffix -li. However, this is a dialectally restricted and somewhat outdated word so I guess I tend to use the neutral Aschnitt when talking to people around my age or not from my dialect area.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 01:34:46 PM »

I have never heard of anyone calling them anything other than the 'Crusts'. 'Ends' makes sense, but heels? Oh you Americans and your language...
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »

I love how there's already been like six German words for the end piece mentioned in this thread
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »

I love how there's already been like six German words for the end piece mentioned in this thread
Knowing the Germans (or Austrians), there's probably a very specific usage for each of them.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »

Heel (normal, etc, etc).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: