SWEDEN - September 14, 2014 - GUIDE and THREAD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:51:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  SWEDEN - September 14, 2014 - GUIDE and THREAD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29]
Author Topic: SWEDEN - September 14, 2014 - GUIDE and THREAD  (Read 96636 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: September 14, 2014, 09:37:13 AM »

Word on the street (and by street i mean precinct officers) is that turn-out seems to be higher this year than in 2010. Lines are being reported in polling stations where there's been no lines before, despite the fact that early voting is breaking record numbers once again. Taking this into account, it wouldn't be completely out of question we get 86%-87% turn-out.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #701 on: September 14, 2014, 09:39:47 AM »

Word on the street (and by street i mean precinct officers) is that turn-out seems to be higher this year than in 2010. Lines are being reported in polling stations where there's been no lines before, despite the fact that early voting is breaking record numbers once again. Taking this into account, it wouldn't be completely out of question we get 86%-87% turn-out.

Amazing. That's what's good about Scandinavia: no lazy voters, like elsewhere.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #702 on: September 14, 2014, 09:45:53 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2014, 09:52:41 AM by PASOK Leader Hashemite »

Early exit poll

Red-Greens: 44,9%

Alliance: 39,3%

Sweden Democrats: 10,4%

Feminist Initiative: 3,7%

If this is correct, there will not be a left-wing majority even if FI makes the treshold. SD to hold the balance of power.

They are allowed to release early exit polls before voting has ended ?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #703 on: September 14, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2014, 09:52:50 AM by PASOK Leader Hashemite »

Early exit poll

If this is correct, there will not be a left-wing majority even if FI makes the treshold. SD to hold the balance of power.

This should be deleted from here, bc the voting is still ongoing.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #704 on: September 14, 2014, 09:49:35 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2014, 09:53:42 AM by PASOK Leader Hashemite »

Early exit poll

I have no idea. They have done so, at any rate (Metro/YouGov)

Though the "official" exit polls won't be out until 20.00.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #705 on: September 14, 2014, 09:52:19 AM »

Is it true that in Sweden there are piles of ballots in the polling station for each party and you can draw a ballot for the party you are voting for ?

So, basically everyone knows for which party you are voting, depending which ballot you take (unless you take ballots for every party with you into the voting booth) ?

You asked this question four years ago as well Tender, I'm disappointed you do not remember.

The answer is yes and yes. People who want to keep their vote secret bring their own ballot papers or take one from every party.

Isn't this a terrible waste of paper you might ask. Yes it is, but Sweden has a very big forestry and paper industry so see it as one big subsidy every four years. Wink

I cannot remember everything ... Tongue

But thx for the answer. Yes, terrible waste of papers indeed.

It works the same way in Spain. You know which party will win in your college before the vote count starts.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #706 on: September 14, 2014, 10:15:43 AM »

Yeah, France also uses multiple paper ballots. And most people take all of them into the polling booth (as I did, out of respect for established traditions).

Wow, that's impressive. High turnout is great news regardless of whom it benefits. Smiley
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #707 on: September 14, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »

Never heard of the multiple paper ballots before, it would be very controversial to use that system here where the secrecy of the ballot is sacrosanct.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #708 on: September 14, 2014, 10:49:57 AM »

It seems kind of strange. Wouldn't it be a lot easier just to distribute ballot papers and have the voters mark them?
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #709 on: September 14, 2014, 11:05:24 AM »

Never heard of the multiple paper ballots before, it would be very controversial to use that system here where the secrecy of the ballot is sacrosanct.

Exactly. At the last Swedish election, the leading Danish electoral professor, Jørgen Elklit, wrote an article where he said that the Swedish elections could not be characterized as "free and fair" due to the multiple ballot thing, and that party representatives can be present at the polls and hand out ballot papers to the voters. The last problem is amplified by the fact that the election districts in Sweden are generally quite small in terms of population.
He sent the article to the four main Swedish newspapers, but none of them wanted to bring it, so it was only published in Denmark.
Several Danish politicians called for electoral observers from the EU or the OSCE, but I don't think these hopes were materialized.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #710 on: September 14, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »

Exactly. At the last Swedish election, the leading Danish electoral professor, Jørgen Elklit, wrote an article where he said that the Swedish elections could not be characterized as "free and fair" due to the multiple ballot thing, and that party representatives can be present at the polls and hand out ballot papers to the voters. The last problem is amplified by the fact that the election districts in Sweden are generally quite small in terms of population.
He sent the article to the four main Swedish newspapers, but none of them wanted to bring it, so it was only published in Denmark.
Several Danish politicians called for electoral observers from the EU or the OSCE, but I don't think these hopes were materialized.

Oh come on, that's ridiculous. Ballot secrecy is absolutely respected as long as voters have the possibility to keep their vote secret. If someone wants to make their vote known, I don't see what's the problem. As for the presence of party officials to oversee the voting process (provided, as I assume, that officials from all parties are present) this is actually a further guarantee of fairness.

Danes being trolls, as usual.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #711 on: September 14, 2014, 11:19:25 AM »

Oh come on, that's ridiculous. Ballot secrecy is absolutely respected as long as voters have the possibility to keep their vote secret. If someone wants to make their vote known, I don't see what's the problem. As for the presence of party officials to oversee the voting process (provided, as I assume, that officials from all parties are present) this is actually a further guarantee of fairness.

Danes being trolls, as usual.

Still, the bad optics remain.

Why having such a complicated system, when you can have our easy system as well ? With that you don't have to print 500 million ballots papers (a waste of resources, how can a greenish left-winger like you support this ?), but only 10 million and the ballot secrecy is guaranteed as well. How is Denmark trolling around here ?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #712 on: September 14, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »

While I dont think calling for electoral observers in a fellow Nordic country is appropriate its not trolling, rather a refelection of a deep cultural gap on this matter.

If some voters openly show their ballots, there can be a pressure for others to disclose their ballots, so on a principal level its problematic. I very much doubt its an actual problem in a country like Sweden, but never the less it really should be abolished.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #713 on: September 14, 2014, 11:25:39 AM »

Ballot secrecy is absolutely respected as long as voters have the possibility to keep their vote secret. If someone wants to make their vote known, I don't see what's the problem.

The problem is that if someone can make their vote public, then they can also be coerced to make their vote public. The secret ballot isn't really secret unless there's no way for a voter to prove that they cast a ballot for a particular party; otherwise, the possibility of voter intimidation is always present.

This is why voting by mail is so problematic.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #714 on: September 14, 2014, 11:27:05 AM »

Ballot secrecy is absolutely respected as long as voters have the possibility to keep their vote secret. If someone wants to make their vote known, I don't see what's the problem.

The problem is that if someone can make their vote public, then they can also be coerced to make their vote public. The secret ballot isn't really secret unless there's no way for a voter to prove that they cast a ballot for a particular party; otherwise, the possibility of voter intimidation is always present.

This is why voting by mail is so problematic.

Of course, in the era of smartphones....it seems like even perfect systems would be open to this problem.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #715 on: September 14, 2014, 11:31:12 AM »

Yeah, there is no feasible way in the modern word to force ballot secrecy anymore. So details matter little, especially in a country with a deep-rooted democratic culture like Sweden.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #716 on: September 14, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »

So, Göteborg is extending their polling hours to 21:30 because of long lines ...

Does this mean we still get the national exit poll at 20:00 or will this be postponed too ?
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #717 on: September 14, 2014, 12:22:17 PM »

Does this mean we still get the national exit poll at 20:00 or will this be postponed too ?

It won't be postponed. Smiley
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #718 on: September 14, 2014, 12:23:42 PM »

I had written a post about how vote secrecy works in France with multiple ballot papers, but I cannot find it anywhere because of the sh**tty search engine this forum is given. Maybe someone can find it.

Anyway, I'm not sure one city, even the second largest one, extending their polling hours will delay the result, since it would mean bothering all channels' schedules and they don't like that. I think we'll still get our estimate at 8PM.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #719 on: September 14, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »

Turnout is so huge that they need to extend voting time by 1 hour and a half? Does that mean it's going to be near 90%?
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #720 on: September 14, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »

Turnout is so huge that they need to extend voting time by 1 hour and a half? Does that mean it's going to be near 90%?

Well, it's only in one polling station, which is said to be the largest election site in all of Europe. So that probably explains the long queues. Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #721 on: September 14, 2014, 12:29:26 PM »

Most likely a local thing as it only involves Göteborg.

All other precincts run smoothly.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #722 on: September 14, 2014, 12:43:17 PM »

According to the Exit Poll, the top-3 issues for voters were:

* School(s) (system)
* Healthcare
* the Swedish economy
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #723 on: September 14, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »

When will we get official turnout figures? Are there no preliminary reports before 20?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #724 on: September 14, 2014, 12:45:36 PM »

This thread is now locked to separate the results discussion. Please take it over here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=198703.0

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies