Air Force to atheist Sgt.: "Recite 'So help me god' or get out" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:51:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Air Force to atheist Sgt.: "Recite 'So help me god' or get out" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Air Force to atheist Sgt.: "Recite 'So help me god' or get out"  (Read 2074 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: September 10, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »

Well, he wants to be authentic in his oath, and true to his beliefs, and not call upon the help of someone he doesn't believe exists, so I can't fault hm that.

Congress apparently used to include an exemption for people not to have to take this part of the oath, but then took it out when they renewed the law that it is a part of. Maybe some fundie cut it when no one was looking.  The Air Force should follow the Constitution over the plain meaning of the statute, but they are not completely to blame here.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »

An oath began as a mystical thing, and I think retains a bit of that quality to it even today.  It is possible for an atheist to have a commitment that is of an almost religious quality.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 12:00:27 AM »

An oath began as a mystical thing, and I think retains a bit of that quality to it even today.  It is possible for an atheist to have a commitment that is of an almost religious quality.

What does that even mean in this context? Why should that mean this man should be forced to invoke a god he doesn't believe in?

I would think it means he shouldn't have to, as it would contradict his religious commitment.  I wonder if there could be some other source of help he can reference that is more in line with his beliefs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies