It's been 13 years (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:43:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  It's been 13 years (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It's been 13 years  (Read 1853 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« on: September 10, 2014, 05:28:45 PM »
« edited: September 10, 2014, 05:31:05 PM by Mr. Illini »

As of 8:46am ET tomorrow, 13 years will have passed since the beginning of the September 11 attacks.

I will be commemorating the anniversary by removing my avatar from my profile as a sign of unity of Americans and all peoples. I'd encourage you to join me.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »

It’s been thirteen years. I was five years old and watched towers falling, people jumping to their deaths, and the Pentagon burning. I saw humanity at its worst, and like most posters in my age group, it is burned into our memory. In fact, it is my earliest vivid political memory.

That being said, it has been thirteen years. I am over it. I will briefly pause to think about it, but as time goes on, so does life. So no, I will not be removing my avatar and I encourage everyone to do the same. Getting teary eyed over an event so long ago is exactly what Osama Bin Laden would want us to do.

I'll continue to commemorate American tragedies of this scale each year for the rest of my life. It shaped my generation and global politics since. It has absolutely moved from being a day of renewing wounds to a day of commemoration, and there's nothing wrong with that. We still rightly commemorate the attacks on Pearl Harbor, which was almost 3/4 century ago.

And just because you will abstain from changing your avatar doesn't mean you need to encourage others not to change their's. That's not in very good taste IMO.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies