Opinion of church sermons that resemble Upworthy videos
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:51:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of church sermons that resemble Upworthy videos
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of church sermons that resemble Upworthy videos
Freedom Sermons

Horrible Sermons

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Opinion of church sermons that resemble Upworthy videos  (Read 1065 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2014, 05:58:21 PM »

It just kind of hit me while I was browsing Upworthy that not only is this true of most sermons that I see which could have excerpts easily edited out and put in a video Upworthy would love to showcase, they use a lot of the same language as their headlines.

But of course Freedom Sermons, because Upworthy is a great website.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:24:32 PM »

Why would you like Upworthy? You're a fan of their empty saccharine clickbait style?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:27:25 PM »

Upworthy is a perfect example of the type of vapid nonsense that women of all ages on Facebook insist on 'sharing'.  It's what The Onion's new Clickhole site is making fun of.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:37:35 PM »

Why would you like Upworthy? You're a fan of their empty saccharine clickbait style?

It has a great progressive message.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 06:41:24 PM »

Not expositionary=HS
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 06:51:06 PM »

Church sermon = horrible sermon
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 07:21:57 PM »

Anything relating to Upworthy needs to be banished from the planet.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 07:30:55 PM »

Even if you're a progressive, can you admit that Upworthy delivers its messages in the most annoying way possible?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 08:20:45 PM »

Even if you're a progressive, can you admit that Upworthy delivers its messages in the most annoying way possible?

But you won't BELIEVE what happens next! Watch this amazing 30 second video to find out.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »

It just kind of hit me while I was browsing Upworthy that not only is this true of most sermons that I see which could have excerpts easily edited out and put in a video Upworthy would love to showcase, they use a lot of the same language as their headlines.

You really ought to ask more of your clergy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 09:31:17 PM »

Because they use attention grabbing headlines? But no, no other websites do that!
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 08:25:50 PM »

But of course Freedom Sermons, because Upworthy is a great website.
Thanks I needed a good laugh! Anyway I don't think I've seen a sermon upworthy would like to use. What denomination are you?
GaussLaw
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 10:05:31 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2014, 10:08:23 PM by GaussLaw »

Church should be about the GOSPEL OF CHRIST.  

Political pandering is not the Gospel of Christ.  I would view those churches the same way I do Osteen.  God's word should be first, not an agenda.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 10:47:33 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2015, 10:52:54 PM by Scene Music and Marijuana Gummy Bears »

So today, I think the ultimate in this was achieved, in that the speaker, a very cute 20something girl, not only gave a sermon frequently touching on a very Upworthy-esque topic (her struggle with an eating disorder), and even had a format similar to the type of TED talks Upworthy likes to highlight, starting out talking tearfully about something a homeless Romanian guy told her while she was studying in Spain during college and then leading up to that, but that it was also in a spoken format that greatly resembled Tweed's "The Group" post, an obvious Atlas top 10 post. If you're not familiar:

ok, Inks, I won't curse you out.  just don't do that anymore.  because you want the numbers to look a certain way.  we all do.  but hey, it doesn't work out like that.  let me tell you a story, Inks.  back in the summer I hung out with this group.  we called it, The Group.  we hung out from mid-afternoon everyday to past midnight.  but then this girl came in.  well, she was there anyway, but she ed sh**t up hardcore.  and one of my friends was in love with her, but it was painfully obviously he'd never get with her.  then another of my friends fell in love with her around August 10th.  and she actually liked him.  but there was a problem.  my two friends that were in love with the same girl, they had been best friends forever.  literally.  so the friend that.  oh who cares.  the point is, it ed sh**t up.  and now The Group is no longer.  and I've tried to wink towards my past, but winking towards it doesn't work.  I've become obsessed with it.  and I want The Group back, but it's no longer.  I want the numbers to look a certain way.  but they don't.  sorry Inks.  it happens.  so don't mess with my entries and I won't mess with yours.  it's better that way.

So basically imagine lots of that, with a lot of Jesus and God reference scattered throughout as well. Very rambling, not at all prepped (no notes), obviously not rehearsed...and thus perfect. She even used the phrase "The Group" referring to her college dance team she was a part of. So lots of talking with her sobbing and choking back tears half the time, and then just pointing out how Jesus healed her of all her pain and freed her of all her chains and how Jesus can conquer all. It was so great I actually stopped hacking the church portal in Ingress because I was so intrigued. We may have achieved peak hipster Christianity, and it is WONDERFUL.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 10:54:16 PM »

Again, reference LXXXVIII to "The Group"! Doesn't it get old? "Hacking the church portal in Ingress"? Same old same old? Hipsterism is dead.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 11:00:40 PM »

"The Group" never gets old. It's easily a top 10 Atlas post.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies