Opinion of people who purchase vinyl records nowadays
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:30:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of people who purchase vinyl records nowadays
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: yadda yadda yadda
Freedom Fighting Hipsters

Horrible Hipster Douchebags

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Opinion of people who purchase vinyl records nowadays  (Read 1930 times)
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:38:52 PM »

Option 1, myself included. I love the look/feel of vinyl. Especially coloured vinyl. Not exactly the most approved of hobby in modern times, however.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:44:57 PM »

Option 1. Vinyl is awesome. I have a few records but still can't find a turntable. My best friend's collection is massive. He has everything. Whenever I come across records, I usually buy him one. I usually go for weird stuff like Chuck Mangeone, etc.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:16:14 PM »

Opinion 1.

No reason to call someone a hipster if they like vynl. I do, but I don't have a turntable for it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:05:21 PM »

As someone that owns a record player, and several records (though I haven't purchased one since the 90s....well before (and after) it was "cool"), I think the fad is silly.  Yeah yeah, I get the "feel" and I get the analog vs digital argument.  The vast majority of people preaching the trend are hipster douchebags.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 11:13:54 PM »

I like vinyl.  It makes you take in music in a different, interesting way.

Unfortunately, the US has terrible record stores in general.  Japan and Western Europe are such a better vinyl collecting cultures for whatever reason.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 11:34:29 PM »

Most people can't hear the difference, so I lean option 2.  Besides, if you really want to go authentically old school, you really ought to abandon transistors for vacuum tubes in your amplifiers.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 11:45:59 PM »

Most people can't hear the difference, so I lean option 2.  Besides, if you really want to go authentically old school, you really ought to abandon transistors for vacuum tubes in your amplifiers.

It's not just the sound of the record.  It's the difference in format.  You're just more inclined to listen to an album more intently and take it in instead of frenetically flipping through itunes on your iphone or pc.  It's also just a cool machine, there's a novelty and ritual to putting on a record.  It recalls a time when music wasn't this disposable, drivel financed by a handful of massive corporations and producers for a stable of photoshopped, autotuned replicants for a global audience with all the discernment of a 12 year old with a chronic case of ADD.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 11:49:06 PM »

It recalls a time when music wasn't this disposable, drivel financed by a handful of massive corporations and producers for a stable of photoshopped, autotuned replicants for a global audience with all the discernment of a 12 year old with a chronic case of ADD.
Which era of prerecorded music didn't have all this in the butt loads?  (minus the autotune obviously and to a slightly lesser extent the global bit)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 11:54:32 PM »

It recalls a time when music wasn't this disposable, drivel financed by a handful of massive corporations and producers for a stable of photoshopped, autotuned replicants for a global audience with all the discernment of a 12 year old with a chronic case of ADD.
Which era of prerecorded music didn't have all this in the butt loads?  (minus the autotune obviously and to a slightly lesser extent the global bit)

Is there anything in the Top 40 today that would appeal to an adult who actually likes music?  How much of the Grammy winners are unlistenable drivel?  Sure, there was about 70% pop drivel on the top charts in 1982.  But, now it's about 100% and the everything sounds like bad hip-hop mixed with house music remixed with something from 1992. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 12:01:16 AM »

Sure, Top 40 is more full of garbage than, perhaps, ever, but that doesn't mean the music industry in all eras hasn't been full of "disposable, drivel financed by a handful of massive corporations" for a bunch of idiots.  Or that there isn't plenty of great music being made today.

Only people that don't really like music listen to top 40 and that's always been the case.  You can usually tell who they are because they'll say stupid sh**t like "I listen to all kinds of music" followed by a list of 3 or 4 popular genres.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 12:05:17 AM »

Sure, Top 40 is more full of garbage than, perhaps, ever, but that doesn't mean the music industry in all eras hasn't been full of "disposable, drivel financed by a handful of massive corporations" for a bunch of idiots.  Or that there isn't plenty of great music being made today.

Only people that don't really like music listen to top 40 and that's always been the case.  You can usually tell who they are because they'll say stupid sh**t like "I listen to all kinds of music" followed by a list of 3 or 4 popular genres.

No, you're right to an extent.  There's tons of great music released today, it's just a different business model with more touring revenue vs. selling albums.  But, there is a significant difference in how quality music is sold in 2014 vs. 1970, 80 or even 2000.  Part of that is just the digital or internet format making music more disposable.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 12:06:29 AM »

Yeah, I think we're basically on the same page.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 09:59:27 AM »

I do, but I don't have a turntable for it.

Surprise

Why not also buy five-and-a-quarter-inch floppy discs as well?  You could use them as coasters, and your records as frisbees.

Whatever.  Option 2.  However excellent or lame a song is, fitting onto a bit of metal the size of a pinhead is always preferable than fitting onto a brittle piece of plastic too big to conveniently carry.  I have plenty of records from the old days, and a working record player plugged in and ready, but I can't say I've used it in years.  Why would I when any song I'd like to hear from my collection I could hear more conveniently, and in better quality, with the push of a few buttons.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 10:05:09 AM »

It's not just the sound of the record.  It's the difference in format.  You're just more inclined to listen to an album more intently and take it in instead of frenetically flipping through itunes on your iphone or pc.  It's also just a cool machine, there's a novelty and ritual to putting on a record.  It recalls a time when music wasn't this disposable, drivel financed by a handful of massive corporations and producers for a stable of photoshopped, autotuned replicants for a global audience with all the discernment of a 12 year old with a chronic case of ADD.

Novelty?

In any case, if you want commitment to the way an artist puts together an album, listen to a tape rather than being able to pick which tracks you'll listen to.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:34 AM »

Novelty?

In any case, if you want commitment to the way an artist puts together an album, listen to a tape rather than being able to pick which tracks you'll listen to.

It's a novelty because it's an old analog technology. 

As for tapes, they don't make tapes anymore.  I suppose you could record them yourself, but that's a real hassle.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 10:16:29 AM »

Tape?  When I was in rock bands in college and grad school, we recorded the tracks digitally whenever possible.  Initially all we had was tape, but once digital became affordable, I never felt any nostalgia about tape during that period, and was glad for the convenience.  Would Ludwig von Beethoven have scoffed at software, had it been available to him, which could save and transpose as he developed new keyboard riffs?  I have a hard time imaging that he would have turned it down in favor of constantly scribbling on parchment with a quill by firelight.  
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 10:19:35 AM »

buying vinyl has been mainstream since the bush years
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 10:27:36 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2014, 10:57:24 AM by angus »

buying vinyl has been mainstream since the bush years

I think it's probably more like "since the Harding years" or maybe even "since the Wilson years."

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a group of retrophile hipsters existed during heyday of 20s jazz who went around insisting that the hollow phonograph cylinders were the only way to go, and that all the modern jazz records are just soulless garbage devoid of ritual or pleasure.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »

Option 1. 
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 12:30:39 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a group of retrophile hipsters existed during heyday of 20s jazz who went around insisting that the hollow phonograph cylinders were the only way to go, and that all the modern jazz records are just soulless garbage devoid of ritual or pleasure.

Cylinders did have the advantage of having a constant linear speed as the needle went over the groove.  Platters didn't have that, so the sound quality degraded as one neared the center.  Indeed, because of that, there were a few disc recordings where it was considered important that the sound quality be at its best at the end of the record rather than the beginning that were recorded with the groove starting at the label and working out to the edge instead of the usual starting at the edge.  Of course, platters are far more convenient and the otherwise unusable center space gave a place for a label to identify the record when it was on the machine out of its container.  (Incidentally, the term "canned music" was coined in reference to the "cans" cylindrical records came in.)  Still, it wasn't until the sound quality of discs improved to the point that most people couldn't hear the difference that discs overtook cylinders in popularity.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »

I love my vinyl records...........FFH
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 02:12:57 PM »

Cylinders did have the advantage of having a constant linear speed as the needle went over the groove.

You're my new favorite retrophile hipster douchebag.   Wink + Tongue
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a group of retrophile hipsters existed during heyday of 20s jazz who went around insisting that the hollow phonograph cylinders were the only way to go, and that all the modern jazz records are just soulless garbage devoid of ritual or pleasure.

Cylinders did have the advantage of having a constant linear speed as the needle went over the groove.  Platters didn't have that, so the sound quality degraded as one neared the center.  Indeed, because of that, there were a few disc recordings where it was considered important that the sound quality be at its best at the end of the record rather than the beginning that were recorded with the groove starting at the label and working out to the edge instead of the usual starting at the edge.  Of course, platters are far more convenient and the otherwise unusable center space gave a place for a label to identify the record when it was on the machine out of its container.  (Incidentally, the term "canned music" was coined in reference to the "cans" cylindrical records came in.)  Still, it wasn't until the sound quality of discs improved to the point that most people couldn't hear the difference that discs overtook cylinders in popularity.
I noticed that type of distortion as well to a point on some of the 78RPM records that I have from the accoustic recording era and the early electric recording era. On many of mine, it almost sounds like a swooshing sound. From what I can tell, many record labels did not solve that issue until well into the 1930s, but by that point in time, the production of cylinder recordings was pretty much over (I believe that the last cylinder recordings were issued by Edison records in mid-1929).

On a side note, I noticed that many of my 78RPM records from the late 1950s (around the time that they were finally phased out) sound a whole lot better than their 45RPM counterparts. Several examples of records that I have from the late 1950s that sound better on 78s than on 45s are "Twilight Time" by The Platters, "Little Star" by The Elegants, "Tonight Tonight" by The Mello-Kings, "Walking After Midnight" by Patsy Cline and "Johnny B Goode" by Chuck Berry. By that time those songs were released, the 78RPM format was basically over for the most part, with the exception of jukebox operators and the small number of people who still had older phonograph equipment built prior to the introduction of LP's and 45's in 1948 and 1949.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 08:24:53 PM »

The nice thing about records is the large size cover art. I grew up buying CDs in the 1990s and it was so much smaller.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 11:47:27 PM »

On a side note, I noticed that many of my 78RPM records from the late 1950s (around the time that they were finally phased out) sound a whole lot better than their 45RPM counterparts. Several examples of records that I have from the late 1950s that sound better on 78s than on 45s are "Twilight Time" by The Platters, "Little Star" by The Elegants, "Tonight Tonight" by The Mello-Kings, "Walking After Midnight" by Patsy Cline and "Johnny B Goode" by Chuck Berry. By that time those songs were released, the 78RPM format was basically over for the most part, with the exception of jukebox operators and the small number of people who still had older phonograph equipment built prior to the introduction of LP's and 45's in 1948 and 1949.

The 45 and 33⅓ RPM formats took advantage of better playback equipment to get acceptable sound quality on records whose principal advantage was longer playtime.  That longer playtime was not only because of the slower speed, but the grooves on the new formats were narrower and thus could be more closely packed.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies