Ted Cruz booed off stage at Middle Eastern Christian conference
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:36:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Ted Cruz booed off stage at Middle Eastern Christian conference
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ted Cruz booed off stage at Middle Eastern Christian conference  (Read 4441 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 09:46:07 PM »

The Democrats have  an ex-president that wrote Palestine: Peace not Apartheid, the GOP do not.

Ron Paul called Gaza a concentration camp IIRC.  And Jimmy Carter isn't influencing US policy.  Even progressives like Warren and Sanders are pro-Israel.

What does being pro-Israel even mean at this point? Can you oppose West Bank settlements and be pro-Israel? Can you support Palestinian statehood and be pro-Israel? Are you required to adhere to the Yisrael Beitenu party line in order to be pro-Israel?
KCDem

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »

Being "pro-Israel" (whatever that means) is starting to mean being pro-genocide.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 10:00:45 PM »

The Democrats have  an ex-president that wrote Palestine: Peace not Apartheid, the GOP do not.

Ron Paul called Gaza a concentration camp IIRC.  And Jimmy Carter isn't influencing US policy.  Even progressives like Warren and Sanders are pro-Israel.

What does being pro-Israel even mean at this point? Can you oppose West Bank settlements and be pro-Israel? Can you support Palestinian statehood and be pro-Israel? Are you required to adhere to the Yisrael Beitenu party line in order to be pro-Israel?
Short answer: yes, yes, no
Long answer: hell yes, hell yes, hell no

Don't tell Adelson this though. He may get an aneurysm.

Pro-Israel basically is equivalent to Pro-America, utterly meaningless. And I think it's a good idea to keep it that way.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »

Yes, yes, no.

In fact, I'd wager the majority of pro-Israel people support a Palestinian state, despite the feverish imaginations of the Hamas apologists.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »

Being "pro-Israel" (whatever that means) is starting to mean being pro-genocide.

That's basically it, sadly.  And the media along with most politicians are complicit in this.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 10:14:42 PM »

Yes, yes, no.

In fact, I'd wager the majority of pro-Israel people support a Palestinian state, despite the feverish imaginations of the Hamas apologists.

While that may be true, a significant number of them, are like Netanyahu and AIPAC, nominally pro-two state, but determined to drag their feet the whole time, and would secretly prefer a one-state.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2014, 07:32:41 AM »

That's basically it, sadly.  And the media along with most politicians are complicit in this.

How are you guys defining genocide these days? We have other words describing the nastiness of killing lots of civilians in a lopsided war that don't rise to the level of "genocide." If Israel is committing genocide in an area with among the fastest population growth rates on Earth, the term has no meaning.

It's not defending Israel's blockade and periodic attacks on Gaza to point out more people died in a single day of transports from the Warsaw Ghetto to Treblinka in August 1942 than in Gaza in the last year, in case the temptation to use the g word is to make some equivalence with the Holocaust.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2014, 08:40:44 AM »

That's how Sheldon Adelson promotes US-Israeli relations.

Permanent war with the Arab neighbors and near-neighbors of Israel is bad for Israel. Peace is the definitive achievement of national security.
CJK
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 11:55:43 AM »

What bothered me most about Cruz's remarks was his statement "those who hate Jews hate Christians" and "If you hate the Jewish people you are not reflecting the teachings of Christ."

Really? Historically, massacring and expelling Jews have been extraordinarily popular amongst Christians. The Crusaders hated Jews, so according to Cruz they hated Christians as well.

As for the second statement, the gospel of John strongly denounces the Jews. In the Book of Revelations Jesus says that Jews are the "synagogue of Satan". 

As a Christian, I am deeply offended by Ted Cruz telling me who I can and can't hate.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 11:15:16 PM »

What bothered me most about Cruz's remarks was his statement "those who hate Jews hate Christians" and "If you hate the Jewish people you are not reflecting the teachings of Christ."

Really? Historically, massacring and expelling Jews have been extraordinarily popular amongst Christians. The Crusaders hated Jews, so according to Cruz they hated Christians as well.

As for the second statement, the gospel of John strongly denounces the Jews. In the Book of Revelations Jesus says that Jews are the "synagogue of Satan". 

As a Christian, I am deeply offended by Ted Cruz telling me who I can and can't hate.

Aren't Christians supposed to love everyone, even our enemies?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »

It looks like you're writing an anti-Semitic screed.  Would you like help?

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 11:59:17 PM »

Clippy!!! Thanks for bringing back a piece of my childhood.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »

Santorum criticizes Cruz.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »

Makes sense. Santorum likes Israel but as a traditionalist Catholic, he doesn't have fever-dreams about it in the same way that evangelical Protestants like Ted Cruz do. And since the bulk of Middle Eastern Christians are some variety of Catholic (Maronite, Melkite, Chaldean, etc), he probably shares a certain affinity with them that Cruz doesn't.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 08:50:33 PM »

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »

Aren't Christians supposed to love everyone, even our enemies?

On some other forum, one poster (a self-proclaimed Christian) accused me of one of the worst crimes possible short of murder. I prayed for him and put the prayer for him in the forum so that he could  recognize what I was doing. After all, I am reasonably certain that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said plenty of prayers for those who hated him -- segregationist politicians and even terrorists.

nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2014, 01:16:34 AM »

He was condemned by his own party.. remember the DNC convention.... and Santorum vs. Cruz battle for Evangelicals is starting to be defined with stuff like this
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies