opinion of removing your avatar on 9/11
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:24:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  opinion of removing your avatar on 9/11
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: opinion of removing your avatar on 9/11
no

i'm doing it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: opinion of removing your avatar on 9/11  (Read 2067 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 03:22:44 PM »

I don't get why not having an avatar is honoring people that died.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 07:00:53 PM »

At least with the D-MO avatars, people were directly showing displeasure to the authorities here and, should opebo, have looked at some threads as a guest, he would have been comforted to know that not everybody here is a unbearable prude. I doubt very much that any 9/11 victims are comforted by removing an avatar. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »

...and they'd be even less impressed with a bunch of <generic insult here> complaining about the removing of avatars.  Of all the sh**t to impotently whinge about, this is what you asshats chose?  It don't make no sense.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 08:12:32 PM »

Another poster asked for opinions. I gave mine. That is all.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 08:31:04 PM »

I have to say when I decided to remove my avatar to commemorate 9/11 I never envisioned it being something that would cause such negative reaction.

You don't have to do it, but I don't understand why you would make a thread about it or respond to said thread with negativity. Childish and disrespectful, frankly.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »

Goodbye, joke or not.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 08:37:38 PM »

Osama bin Laden was an Uncle Tom.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 08:42:13 PM »

It's your gesture, and done in a particular spirit. But it is a gesture and you have to equally understand why some people see it as an empty gesture and are calling it.

While it's a good-natured gesture - the subject matter doesn't protect it from criticism, nor should it.

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 08:45:35 PM »

It's your gesture, and done in a particular spirit. But it is a gesture and you have to equally understand why some people see it as an empty gesture and are calling it.

While it's a good-natured gesture - the subject matter doesn't protect it from criticism, nor should it.

outofthebox asked people to change their avatars to R-CA on the anniversary of Reagan's death. I saw no mocking threads about it, despite that being one death and this being 3,000. So no, I really don't understand, and don't feel like I should.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »

outofthebox asked people to change their avatars to R-CA on the anniversary of Reagan's death. I saw no mocking threads about it, despite that being one death and this being 3,000. So no, I really don't understand, and don't feel like I should.

I don't endorse the thread, nor what you perceive as mocking. But this is a democratic forum where people have the right to have their views heard.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 08:49:05 PM »

and the nonasshole (ok, less assholeish) posters have the right to think substantially less of the douchebags mocking it.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 08:50:37 PM »

and the nonasshole (ok, less assholeish) posters have the right to think substantially less of the douchebags mocking it.

..again, that's their right.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 08:51:22 PM »

I don't endorse the thread, nor what you perceive as mocking. But this is a democratic forum where people have the right to have their views heard.

And I am allowed to call them disrespectful and childish for it. I didn't ask for the mods to take it down. I just said it was a ridiculous thread with a lot of ridiculous comments.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2014, 08:53:11 PM »

those people died so reagan could live. Avatar solidarity.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »

sheesh...we get it, you're an asshole.  Laying it on a little thick tonight ain't we?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2014, 08:56:56 PM »

And I am allowed to call them disrespectful and childish for it. I didn't ask for the mods to take it down. I just said it was a ridiculous thread with a lot of ridiculous comments.

...yes, that's the point.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »

Oakvale, kindly stop.  For many of us this isnt an abstraction. We knew people who died, were hurt, or lucky to get out safe. You are free to post whatever but you must know that there are still wounds on this.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2014, 09:04:10 PM »

Oakvale, kindly stop.  For many of us this isnt an abstraction. We knew people who died, were hurt, or lucky to get out safe. You are free to post whatever but you must know that there are still wounds on this.

Yeah, I think one of the basic rules of decency is not criticizing how people grieve.  If someone wants to commemorate something tragic in their life in way that you find "pointless" or "dumb," just shut your mouth.  It's just the right thing to do.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2014, 09:10:06 PM »

I think you'd be very mistaken to take what Oakvale is saying at face value.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »

Just because he isn't being serious doesn't mean he isn't being a giant douchebag and incredibly disrespectful.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2014, 09:16:10 PM »

Just because he isn't being serious doesn't mean he isn't being a giant douchebag and incredibly disrespectful.

OK - he's not 'joking' he's actually making a very clear and serious point. And it's clearly being missed.

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »

Sorry, but as someone who knew people who died in the attack (albeit as a kid in elementary school), I'm a lot more bothered by shallow "commemorations" that take the form of self-absorbed online slacktivism. We're marking the thirteenth successive year of obligatory flag pins, for Christ's sake, and I'm fed up with reflection that refuses to look outward rather than inward for answers.

People do a lot of this kind of behavior.  Bumper-stickers, pointless facebook updates that sound like press releases, RIP car decals, flag pins, commemorative plates, RIP t-shirts, etc.  I agree that sort of thing can strike you as tacky and weird.  But, it's fairly benign.  It's not the way you deal with sadness, but it's not a big deal.  And, just because someone wants to wear a flag pin, it doesn't mean that's all they're doing.  This is just a little symbol, they might also be thinking and ruminating about what this tragedy means to them in a mature, sober way.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2014, 09:20:08 PM »

Sorry, but as someone who knew people who died in the attack (albeit as a kid in elementary school), I'm a lot more bothered by shallow "commemorations" that take the form of self-absorbed online slacktivism. We're marking the thirteenth successive year of obligatory flag pins, for Christ's sake, and I'm fed up with reflection that refuses to look outward rather than inward for answers.

I think people feel helpless and powerless over large events out of their control.  They think they need to do something. I'd prefer something more concrete in the form of action to help people in general but hey.

And I get oakvales point too. Not something on either ledger to get all worked up about, there are plenty of big issues to resolve in the world than avatars.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2014, 09:24:01 PM »

I get that, but I really don't understand why you would be more bothered by an honest attempt at solidarity as Americans than by blatant disrespectful trolling.

It was a very simple gesture to attempt to symbolize that we were not separated by party labels on that day and each year we ought to strip away those divisions once again in respect and recognition.

As I said, I never would have expected it to blow up in my face. If I offended anyone I am sorry, but I really wish it could be taken for what it is - a simple gesture of respect.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2014, 10:43:47 PM »

Happy Christmas!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies