Atlas Forum LGBT Census 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:54:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas Forum LGBT Census 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Which statement describes you better?
I am heterosexual and cisgender

The preceding statement does not accurately describe my gender identity and/or my sexual orientation

Uncertain/Undecided/Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 140

Author Topic: Atlas Forum LGBT Census 2014  (Read 7807 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2014, 03:06:39 PM »

Holy sh**t, you folks are dense if you thought Hifly meant that stuff

I obviously knew he was joking, but given the guy's history I can at least understand if someone thought he was being serious.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2014, 03:20:12 PM »

Holy sh**t, you folks are dense if you thought Hifly meant that stuff
yeah i'm kind of baffled by that. have to say i enjoy hifly being around though even ignoring how funnny it is seeing people sperg out over him lol
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2014, 07:54:22 PM »

Come on,
Hifly was obviously trolling Tongue.

Yes, of course he was. That's what trolls do.

____

Hetero male.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2014, 08:23:11 PM »

Option 2 (bisexual/trans*/lean gay)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2014, 10:57:26 AM »

We're allowed to post sarcastic nonsense jokes on the forum and it's never been an issue. As far as I can see I have not violated anything.

You knew what you were doing. Given the fact you haven't deleted them, which you had ample chance to do as they were clogging up the topic, they have now been moderated.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2014, 12:14:49 PM »

I did wonder how long it would take for another one of these threads.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2014, 12:40:23 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2014, 01:15:10 PM by Nutmeg »

Couple of things:

- Option 2: gay cisgender male.

- I think Hilfly was joking. Not necessarily funny, but it came across to me as a parody rather than an expression of actually bigoted views.

These figures are astounding. What is it about this place?

I suspect it's a selection bias issue; the title is "LGBT Census." But the interwebs and also nerds/politically active people/people who like maps and data seem to tend LGBT moreso than does the population at large.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2014, 12:53:12 PM »

There's selection bias and then there's a near 50-50 ratio. Yikes.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2014, 01:16:37 PM »

Well, when I saw the thread title, I assumed the thread would contain questions for LGBT posters, not a question for all posters asking whether they are LGBT or not. So I suspect many non-LGBT posters didn't even click.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »

I am not gay and I am not transgender. However, I did not vote for the first option. That is all I will say.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2014, 03:24:40 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2014, 03:29:17 PM by Lurker »

Well, when I saw the thread title, I assumed the thread would contain questions for LGBT posters, not a question for all posters asking whether they are LGBT or not. So I suspect many non-LGBT posters didn't even click.

I believe other polls have shown a near 50% LGBT ratio though. I would have expected a place like this to be at least 90% male, so that part of forum demographics never surprised me - but the gay thing is difficult to understand. Why would LGBTs be more interested in electoral maps than straights? Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2014, 03:25:36 PM »

Vaccines clearly cause homosexuality as well as autism.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2014, 03:31:44 PM »

I believe other polls have shown a near 50% LGBT ratio though. I would have expected a place like this to be at least 90% male, so that part of forum demographics never surprised me - but the gay thing is difficult to understand. Why would LGBTs be more interested in electoral maps than straights? Tongue

The fact that our civil rights are currently a political issue and hot topic would make me expect LGBT people to be more politically oriented overall, though certainly not by the margin shown in this poll. I guess there's also the fact that people tend to me more honest about their orientation online when behind the veil of anonymity.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »

The fact that our civil rights are currently a political issue and hot topic would make me expect LGBT people to be more politically oriented overall, though certainly not by the margin shown in this poll. I guess there's also the fact that people tend to me more honest about their orientation online when behind the veil of anonymity.

I have two hypotheses.

One: Fewer gay people are interested in sports.  Politics fills the same spot in the male brain as sports, it's competitive in exactly the same way.

Two:  Maybe this is just me, but I felt like being into news, politics, reading the New York Times, etc when I was a teenage Howard Dean supporter in high school, in real America, that sort of made you  a "fag."  As a gay kid, I think you sort of say to yourself, "well, I'm gay anyway, so I'm just going to be myself, work on the school newspaper and hang out with my weird friends.  There's no use pretending I'm a football dude, or a skateboard dude or a generic dumbass who likes drinking Busch lite in a garage, or whatever would be cooler than a political nerd.  I think that partly why gay men are over-represented in a lot of careers like advertising, fashion, law, journalism, academia and media.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2014, 11:19:12 PM »

This isn't *that* far off from the usual 60-40 ratio.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2014, 01:03:07 AM »

We're allowed to post sarcastic nonsense jokes on the forum and it's never been an issue. As far as I can see I have not violated anything.

You knew what you were doing. Given the fact you haven't deleted them, which you had ample chance to do as they were clogging up the topic, they have now been moderated.

Excuse me? This is just not on.
Bacon King said that he realised that they were not serious and so he did not moderate them. Therefore, I obviously did not take action myself as there was evidently no need to. Yet you still have the nerve to say I'm responsible because "I knew what I was doing"Huh What does this even mean?
You just did this because you want me off the forum, and you've deleted one of my posts from the international discussion board which had nothing to do with this as well just as an excuse to get my death point rating up.
If they were clogging up the topic, you could have at least sent me a message asking me to delete them, instead of taking unprecedented and wholly unnecessary action.

This is not the first time you've unnecessarily deleted my posts, and every time I try to appeal you just ignore me. 
I am actually in shock that you've done this.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »

I have two hypotheses.

One: Fewer gay people are interested in sports.  Politics fills the same spot in the male brain as sports, it's competitive in exactly the same way.

Two:  Maybe this is just me, but I felt like being into news, politics, reading the New York Times, etc when I was a teenage Howard Dean supporter in high school, in real America, that sort of made you  a "fag."  As a gay kid, I think you sort of say to yourself, "well, I'm gay anyway, so I'm just going to be myself, work on the school newspaper and hang out with my weird friends.  There's no use pretending I'm a football dude, or a skateboard dude or a generic dumbass who likes drinking Busch lite in a garage, or whatever would be cooler than a political nerd.  I think that partly why gay men are over-represented in a lot of careers like advertising, fashion, law, journalism, academia and media.

Or perhaps that rather isolated, socially awkward/nerdy,  suburban, upper-middle class kids (a demographic which this forum attracts) have a higher representation of people who are openly LGBT, relative to the general population?

I know that this forum is overwhelmingly white and male in addition to all of those things I listed so I wonder if that also has an effect....
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2014, 05:52:51 PM »

The issue isn't open vs. closeted tendencies unless you think literally half of everyone is gay on the inside
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2014, 05:55:03 PM »

The issue isn't open vs. closeted tendencies unless you think literally half of everyone is gay on the inside

Right.  Either gay people are more likely to be interested in election maps or election maps make you gay.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2014, 06:18:56 PM »

Ah, but is this board (disregarding the non-American users, which admittedly might not be fair Tongue)  even close to being a representative sample of the US population?

Maybe the fact that this board skews towards youngs might be part of the issue.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2014, 06:42:42 PM »

Ah, but is this board (disregarding the non-American users, which admittedly might not be fair Tongue)  even close to being a representative sample of the US population?

So you think half of youngs are LGBT?

perhaps the homosexual agenda has finally prevailed
GaussLaw
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2014, 08:53:51 PM »

Is Atlas much more "non-straight/cis" than the population at whole for some certain reason?  I never really associated being a "nerd" with being homosexual......
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2014, 10:46:32 PM »

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2014, 10:51:41 PM »

Is Atlas much more "non-straight/cis" than the population at whole for some certain reason?  I never really associated being a "nerd" with being homosexual......

Atlas's leftward skew is probably related.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2014, 10:42:39 AM »

So you think half of youngs are LGBT?

perhaps the homosexual agenda has finally prevailed

lolno

I just think that youngs are more likely to say they are LGBT than olds. Tongue

But admittedly it wouldn't account for ALL of this forum's unusually high LGBT population.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies