How much money would you need to call yourself rich?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:31:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How much money would you need to call yourself rich?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How much money would you need to call yourself rich?  (Read 2968 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2014, 09:44:57 PM »

Inspired by the "Are you a young rich white liberal?" thread.

I say that anything above $350k a year is "rich", but this also depends on your location.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:14:17 PM »

It really depends on location and family size. I'd probably say $150k for an individual and $300k for a "typical" family of 4.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:16:07 PM »

For the wealthy, placement on the basic class hierarchy and open parasitism (i.e. unearne income) matter far more than "earned" income.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 10:40:30 PM »

For the wealthy, placement on the basic class hierarchy and open parasitism (i.e. unearne income) matter far more than "earned" income.

Most wealthy people have actual jobs/careers, Snowstalker (unless you think the likes of Mitt Romney or the Forbest 400 are representative of most people).
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 10:59:09 PM »

Not having to work is the key distinction to me.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 11:01:53 PM »

Most wealthy people have actual jobs/careers, Snowstalker (unless you think the likes of Mitt Romney or the Forbest 400 are representative of most people).

They nonetheless live primarily off what is produced by the labor of others.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 05:20:15 AM »

Over twice the median income.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 10:46:49 AM »

$200,000+
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »

"Rich is when your money works for you, not when you work for the money." - Clair Huxtable
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 11:30:39 AM »

So do cashiers at McDonald's.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 11:42:12 AM »

If you no longer need to work, you are rich.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »

$250,000 a year+
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2014, 12:01:02 PM by Bacon King »

Define "need"?

I recently inherited several acres of land in rural south GA, including a small prefabricated shed. The shed could be converted into a livable shelter, and enough seeds planted to sustain someone indefinitely, for less than $200. Does this make me rich? Can I become rich by spending some of my savings in this way?

Edit: and if we want to get technical about the definition of work I could barter my property's timber rights to the neighbor in exchange for one of his migrant laborers doing the like 20 minutes of work my garden would require each day so I wouldn't even have to do that
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »

Define "need"?

I recently inherited several acres of land in rural south GA, including a small prefabricated shed. The shed could be converted into a livable shelter, and enough seeds planted to sustain someone indefinitely, for less than $200. Does this make me rich? Can I become rich by spending some of my savings in this way?

Edit: and if we want to get technical about the definition of work I could barter my property's timber rights to the neighbor in exchange for one of his migrant laborers doing the like 20 minutes of work my garden would require each day so I wouldn't even have to do that

Or consider a couple that retires at 60 with adult children and a nearly paid-off mortgage and a guaranteed pension of $50K/year with adjustments for inflation. They don't need to work, but are they rich?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 12:06:04 PM »

1 Mio. € I guess is what I need to retire.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 12:16:37 PM »

As a single man? $120k after taxes
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »

National median or local median income? If I use larger counties in IL and use two times the median it would range from 63K in Jackson to 164K in Kendall. That compares to a 2xmedian of 110K for IL and 104K for the US.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 12:22:44 PM »

I would say state median income, muon.  Wealth in MS compared to MA is definitely a different standard, so national doesn't always work. However, it would be unfair to call someone who lives in a super wealthy county or suburb poor when they can simply move to another nearby town. It's much easier to move to a different locale within a state than move to a different state.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 12:54:15 PM »

Define "need"?

Or consider a couple that retires at 60 with adult children and a nearly paid-off mortgage and a guaranteed pension of $50K/year with adjustments for inflation. They don't need to work, but are they rich?

Bacon King: Yes, a rich person is someone who lives off their savings, assets, capital, or whatever. 'Need' not an absolute level of subsistence, rather it is the amount required to sustain the lifestyle that you prefer. So in your scenario, it depends whether or not you would be satisfied with that lifestyle as an alternative to work? The only way to say for sure is if you actually did it.

muon: A guy at my work retired at 60 recently. It seems to be a fairly normal retirement age. While that person, yes, technically meets my definition, I would say he only does so as a function of age. He still had a normal working life along with everyone else. I am talking about someone who needs to work less than the normal working life; e.g., he or she retires before being eligible for any pensions, social securities, IRAs, & other rewards of normal retirement.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 01:08:33 PM »

I would say state median income, muon.  Wealth in MS compared to MA is definitely a different standard, so national doesn't always work. However, it would be unfair to call someone who lives in a super wealthy county or suburb poor when they can simply move to another nearby town. It's much easier to move to a different locale within a state than move to a different state.

I'm not sure a state median works so well in IL. Jackson county, home to Southern IL University, has a median household income well below that of MS. Most of southern IL is around that same level and central IL is generally below the national median. However Cook is just below the state median and Chicagoland overall is above it and well above the national average.

The upper 5% of household incomes has less variation as a fraction of the US value than the median and might be a better measure of "rich". Using the upper 5% also puts Cook on a par with the suburban counties (209K in Cook and 203K in Kendall) and the US as a whole (191K), yet still differentiates that area from the rural counties in IL (131K in Jackson, IL). 200K would not be a bad approximation if one needed a single number.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 01:09:06 PM »

Bacon King: Yes, a rich person is someone who lives off their savings, assets, capital, or whatever.

This would technically make most pensioners 'rich'.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 01:10:32 PM »

So...you want everyone to be a subsistence farmer? Or you'd prefer a return to hunting and gathering?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »

If you have to ask or find yourself quibbling over details, you're rich.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 01:14:08 PM »

Not having to work is the key distinction to me.
That's definitely a good distinction.  Working rich vs. broke ass rich.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 01:28:43 PM »

Those are helpful numbers muon2, thanks.  As a resident of Jackson County most of the time, I didn't think that I was close to being rich, and now I know I'm not.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies