Opinion of 9/11 Jokes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:36:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of 9/11 Jokes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Yeah
Positive

Neutral

Negative

Extremely Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Opinion of 9/11 Jokes  (Read 3352 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2014, 11:10:58 PM »

What do you think of 9/11 jokes?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 11:17:49 PM »

Neutral....time and place is important....more so than whether the joke is funny or not.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 03:00:53 AM »

Neutral
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 05:13:58 AM »

Extremely negative. Amazing how people voted positive. Just incredible.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 06:21:35 AM »

Probably going to lower my FF rating in the next "Opinion of" thread, but here you go:

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 06:36:30 AM »

Usually in poor taste.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 06:44:27 AM »

And yeah if you can't figure it out I'm one of those bastards who voted positive.  Why you may ask?  Well because it's been 13 years and the effects of the hypernationalism created by an event that would've never happened because of hypernationalism in the first place is still felt to this day.  We grieve and mourn for 3,000 people who died in a terrorist bombing 13 years ago yet there is not one day of rememberance for the millions we killed in westward expansion, there is not one day in rememberance of the millions who have died in Asia as a direct and indirect result of American imperialism, and we seriously think that we can make up everything we did to black people by giving them a month out of the year to "celebrate their heritage".

So yes, it was tragic for maybe for up to a year after it happened, afterwards it's just become a rallying day for rahrahrahrahrah rahrahrahrahrah rahrahrahrahrahrahrahrahrah Americanism.  In my mind there is no concept that deserves to be mocked more in this country.

Besides, I saw better special effects in the "Moon Landing" video and the Benghazi one at least had guns.  9/11?  More like "call 911 cause a crime has been committed!"  amiriteguise?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 07:29:24 AM »

tragedy + time=profit!....errrr comedy.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 08:24:40 AM »

I couldn't care less if they exist or not.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 08:29:30 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2014, 08:31:51 AM by Paul Kemp »

Positive if they're actually humorous and original, like all jokes. Obviously it depends on each specific instance and the audience... like all jokes, once again.

I think some here are ignoring the coping mechanism that humor can provide in the right situation. Sometimes it's for the best not to take thing so seriously.

Although, I am somewhat baffled by those who are extremely offended by such jokes yet have no connection to the actual event. That actually offends me more than any jokes themselves.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 09:11:20 AM »

I don't think there is any subject matter that is off limits for a joke.  It's all about the point of the joke and the context.

And yeah if you can't figure it out I'm one of those bastards who voted positive.  Why you may ask?  Well because it's been 13 years and the effects of the hypernationalism created by an event that would've never happened because of hypernationalism in the first place is still felt to this day.  We grieve and mourn for 3,000 people who died in a terrorist bombing 13 years ago yet there is not one day of rememberance for the millions we killed in westward expansion, there is not one day in rememberance of the millions who have died in Asia as a direct and indirect result of American imperialism, and we seriously think that we can make up everything we did to black people by giving them a month out of the year to "celebrate their heritage".

So yes, it was tragic for maybe for up to a year after it happened, afterwards it's just become a rallying day for rahrahrahrahrah rahrahrahrahrah rahrahrahrahrahrahrahrahrah Americanism.  In my mind there is no concept that deserves to be mocked more in this country.

Besides, I saw better special effects in the "Moon Landing" video and the Benghazi one at least had guns.  9/11?  More like "call 911 cause a crime has been committed!"  amiriteguise?

That's very meta and all, but if you actually believe that, you're screwed up about this.  People are always going to be more personally, emotionally affected by things that hit close to home.  Something that happened 200 years ago, that you didn't live through, that doesn't implicate you personally, isn't going to be as emotional.  If your friend is murdered, it's devastating.  If you read about a murder in Norway in 1750, you intellectually understand that it's the same, but you can't actually feel the same way. 

People are sad about 9/11 because it's personal.  The people who died on 9/11 aren't responsible for  imperialism, slavery or the Iraq War either by the way.  They were a bunch of accountants, firefighters, waitresses, bankers, janitors and such.  We don't need to harden our hearts about these innocent people being murdered on national TV because of slavery and imperialism.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 10:10:34 AM »

A lame pun or knock knock joke be negative. An hilarious anecdote is perfectly fine.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »

i'm a fan. oh and my mom knew a bunch of people that got vaporized so f**k off
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 11:48:12 AM »

there is sort of a paradox though where i roll my eyes if it just seems like people are trying to be 'edgy' without actually trying. sort of like people that quote comedians or tv/movies/whatever randomly
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 01:23:18 PM »

I immediately thought of this Bidenism, so I can't say I'm entirely opposed.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »

I voted neutral. They are often in poor taste, but in general I agree with some other posters have said about how using humor in the face of tragedy is actually a positive thing.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 02:11:14 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2014, 02:17:00 PM by Ten in Roman Numerals »

Very Brave!  So Much Edginess!  Roll Eyes

Seriously dude, get over yourself.  The True Left spiel in your post did about as much for the victims of slavery and imperialism as liking some random Facebook post does to end world hunger.  If you really want to help then become a community activist, join the peace corps, adopt a young child from an orphanage and raise him/her well and provide the child with opportunities he/she never had, etc.  If you can't do anything like that, carve spend like eight hours a week helping at soup kitchens or something.  My point is don't post self-rightious rants on some internet forum; if you really care, do something that will actually have a meaningful impact.  Otherwise, you're just a True Leftist version of a hashtag activist patting himself on the back for wearing a "Save Darfur" bracelet or liking a one sentence Facebook post that says "Like this post if you think using child soldiers is bad."  But whatever, the important thing is that True Lefts can tell themselves they're morally superior to everyone else, right?

Don't get me wrong Mecha, you're generally a pretty good (albeit occasionally a little out there) poster, but that was a pretty disgusting post you made on multiple levels.

Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 02:12:09 PM »

I immediately thought of this Bidenism, so I can't say I'm entirely opposed.

But that's not a 9/11 joke so much as a Rudy joke (which did get a chuckle out of me)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 02:14:26 PM »

Also, as horrible as it might sound, I honestly have no real emotional attachment to 9/11. I was six when it happened and I have no friends or family who were directly involved with it, so I barely even remember when it happened.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 03:26:56 PM »

Oh puhleezeeee.
Gives a new meaning to "explosive diarrhea"

Jodi Sweetin needs more drug money I guess
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 04:42:43 PM »

Not a single one of these pokes fun at the death of a person. The Jodi Sweetin one was pretty much in bad taste, but hey, at least she's not actually using drugs anymore. None of these posts are offensive in any way. Poor humour? Sure, that's arguable. But it's not saying "~3000 people died and they'll never come home to their families ever again" because that's such a kneeslapper.

I also really am not a fan of the "I knew people who died" rhetoric, because it's like the "I have a black friend" argument when making clearly racist jokes. Just because you're not deeply saddened by someone making light of another's death does not make it okay, because Atlas Forum posters are not the oracle of morality, or lack thereof.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »

Well, looking back this morning I think I offer several of you a sincere apology.  It's not hard to say you're sorry, but here goes:

I'm sorry your friends and family members died because of decades of US Imperialism around the globe that killed millions of men, women and children that helped bring about the kind of cultural resentment that made 9/11 possible.  Again I'm very sorry that Uncle Sam killed your friends.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »

Well, looking back this morning I think I offer several of you a sincere apology.  It's not hard to say you're sorry, but here goes:

I'm sorry your friends and family members died because of decades of US Imperialism around the globe that killed millions of men, women and children that helped bring about the kind of cultural resentment that made 9/11 possible.  Again I'm very sorry that Uncle Sam killed your friends.

Yikes.  That sounds like you're both blaming America for 9/11 and implicating the innocent people who died on 9/11 in "imperialism" so they're somehow to blame as Americans.  I understand that probably sounds ridiculous to most people, but it's also the kind of boilerplate leftist anti-American gibberish you actually hear from people.

I think that would touch nerve with most people more than what you said before even.  Maybe I'm just missing the joke.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 06:19:29 PM »

While I obviously disagree with the way Mecha phrased his post, it is pretty significant to mention that many, many innocent civilians died in the Middle East before and after 9/11, and that they shouldn't be forgotten (or joked about) either.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 06:31:36 PM »

Yikes.  That sounds like you're both blaming America for 9/11 and implicating the innocent people who died on 9/11 in "imperialism" so they're somehow to blame as Americans.  I understand that probably sounds ridiculous to most people, but it's also the kind of boilerplate leftist anti-American gibberish you actually hear from people.

I think that would touch nerve with most people more than what you said before even.  Maybe I'm just missing the joke.

He's certainly not doing the latter, but are you going to completely reject the notion that imperialism has consequences?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies