Are there any candidates who are “wackos, weirdos and witches”? Senate 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:45:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Are there any candidates who are “wackos, weirdos and witches”? Senate 2014
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are there any candidates who are “wackos, weirdos and witches”? Senate 2014  (Read 2551 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2014, 10:19:12 AM »

Shortly after the 2012 Senate races, conservative political analyst Michael Barone told an audience in Washington that Republicans put too many tea party “wackos, weirdos and witches" on the ballot that year (2012), costing them seats in the U.S. Senate.

“Twenty-three Democratic seats up, only ten Republican seats up — it looked like a sure chance for Republican gains and a good possibility of gaining four seats that would give them the majority leadership even if Barack Obama was re-elected,” Barone explained during a speech at Hillsdale College’s Kirby Center near Capitol Hill.

He went on to say, "Republicans need to learn to have candidates that don't make unforced errors" ..... "don't nominate dogs !"

To see the 3-minute video on this speech : http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/09/michael-barone-tea-party-wackos-and-weirdos-and-witches-cost-gop-senate-seats-video/

Do we have any Republican "wackos, weirdos or witches" as candidates for the Senate 2014 races ?
(Or any Democratic ones, for that matter.)
Please give details, including what the candidate said (or did) that makes them "strange."
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:22:14 AM »

I think that Shenna Bellows is a wacko, but that's just me.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 10:46:33 AM »

I think that Shenna Bellows is a wacko, but that's just me.

Please give details, including what the candidate said (or did) that makes them "strange."

Shenna Bellows is the Democratic candidate for the United States Senate in Maine, and is running against incumbent Republican Senator Susan Collins.

Assemblyman Hifly,
I'm curious, I don't know much about this candidate. Can you give us an example of why ? What sticks in your mind, that makes this candidate "strange" ?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 10:52:13 AM »

She was a NRA hack and gun nut.
Also anyone who runs against Susan Collins and thinks that they can win is automatically a wacko.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 11:01:22 AM »

Joni Ernst
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 11:16:22 AM »

Joni Ernst is the Republican candidate for the United States Senate in Iowa, and is running against Democratic candidate Bruce Braley.

IceSpear,
Can you give us an example of why ? What sticks in your mind, that makes this candidate "strange" ?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 11:25:37 AM »

Joni Ernst is the Republican candidate for the United States Senate in Iowa, and is running against Democratic candidate Bruce Braley.

IceSpear,
Can you give us an example of why ? What sticks in your mind, that makes this candidate "strange" ?

Said Obama is a dictator who should be impeached, thinks Iraq had WMDs, peddles NWO conspiracy theories.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 12:20:58 PM »

Ernst is a far-right conspiracy-peddling nutjob. We got really lucky republicans bailed us out, considering how poor our candidate is there.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »

Amanda Curtis certainly comes to mind for the Dems. Erin Bilbray too whom I just find extremely annoying.
njwes
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »

Unlike previous years, I don't think the Republicans nominated horrible candidates (a la Akin, O'Donnell, etc.). Having said that, with the exception of Shelley Moore Capito and maybe Cory Gardner, I don't really see many of the candidates as all that great.

I think that sums it up. Lots of bad/mediocre Dem candidates this year, but I don't think the Republicans could get quality candidates to run--or, in the case of places like NJ, they just don't exist. Very shallow pools of candidates in some of these states it seems... Like, Scott Brown was seriously the best the 'pubs could do in NH? And NJ candidates were actually hilariously bad or unknown.

Ernst is definitely the closest we have to a wacko this cycle, and I'm skeptical of her chances of winning. Not terrible, but I'm VERY curious to see how she performs in her debates with Braley. Good for her to agree to do them, but there's a huge potential for a Palinesque disaster IMO.

Edit: Oh and Amanda Curtis too, forgot about her lulzy hijinks. But she was a non-factor from the start, so not as entertaining.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 01:36:11 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2014, 01:39:25 PM by Kevin »

I think that sums it up. Lots of bad/mediocre Dem candidates this year, but I don't think the Republicans could get quality candidates to run --or, in the case of places like NJ, they just don't exist. Very shallow pools of candidates in some of these states it seems... Like, Scott Brown was seriously the best the 'pubs could do in NH? And NJ candidates were actually hilariously bad or unknown.

This. The GOP got good recruits in West Virginia, Montana, and Colorado. Maybe add South Dakota, though Rounds has been underwhelming. Similar story with Cotton (even though I think he'll still win, but what if the GOP recruited Griffin?).

What if the GOP had gotten someone else in North Carolina? Latham, Northey, or Reynolds in Iowa? Someone else in New Hampshire?

All those guys you mentioned didn't express interest in running. Keep in mind at the time both NH and IA looked like probable Dem holds.

Cotton looked far superior on paper at the time but he's found it obviously much rougher on the campaign trail. Same with Land in MI too.

Unlike previous years, I don't think the Republicans nominated horrible candidates (a la Akin, O'Donnell, etc.). Having said that, with the exception of Shelley Moore Capito and maybe Cory Gardner, I don't really see many of the candidates as all that great.

I think that sums it up. Lots of bad/mediocre Dem candidates this year, but I don't think the Republicans could get quality candidates to run--or, in the case of places like NJ, they just don't exist. Very shallow pools of candidates in some of these states it seems... Like, Scott Brown was seriously the best the 'pubs could do in NH? And NJ candidates were actually hilariously bad or unknown.

Ernst is definitely the closest we have to a wacko this cycle, and I'm skeptical of her chances of winning. Not terrible, but I'm VERY curious to see how she performs in her debates with Braley. Good for her to agree to do them, but there's a huge potential for a Palinesque disaster IMO.

Edit: Oh and Amanda Curtis too, forgot about her lulzy hijinks. But she was a non-factor from the start, so not as entertaining.

Even though Ernst is pretty conservative she seems much more in control of herself then people like Akin, O'Donnell, Angle, Palin or Mourdock.

I think she should be ok during the debates esp. against a problematic, gaffe-prone candidate like Braley.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 02:58:28 PM »

Joni "The Castrator" Ernst and Terri Lynn Land.
njwes
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 04:16:36 PM »

Explain?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 10:11:22 AM »

I think Pat Quinn has some form of wizardry behind his campaign blessing him with supernatural luck.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 12:12:34 AM »

I think Pat Quinn has some form of wizardry behind his campaign blessing him with supernatural luck.

Said "wizardry" is being a Democrat running in Illinois.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 01:20:29 PM »

Chris McDaniel was pretty out there in his views, but we don't have to worry about him anymore since Thad Cochran won the primary election.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »

Said "wizardry" is being a Democrat running in Illinois.

And avoiding a serious primary challenge in a state with a huge ambitious bench with underwater polls? Sounds spooky to me.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 03:48:06 PM »

Steve Daines - sitting Representative in the US House from Montana, and current Senate candidate. He's a fundamentalist and bible literalist who believes that evolution is a fraud and that the Earth is only 6000 years old. He's cunning enough to know that his more extreme views won't play well with a lot of voters who otherwise support his politics, so his lunacy is mostly off the public record (or at least off the internet - I'm sort of curious what a really thorough newpaper search might dig up) but sometimes it leaks out:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/05/steve-daines-creationism

While he is likely to win the MT Senate race, if a clip of him spouting off his Creationist BS surfaces before November, Amanda Curtis will have a decent shot. (Otherwise she's pretty clearly toast.)
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 07:57:30 AM »

I'm not sure I'd classify Land as a wacko or weirdo, but there are concerns that she's avoiding press events or reporters. She apparently had a hard time answering questions at an event earlier this year. I don't count it as a 'blown' seat for Republicans, since it was likely out of reach from the start.

She's not a wacko or weirdo, she's just a horrible campaigner.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 12:40:57 AM »

The GOP mostly dodged bullets this year, especially in MS.

I do think, though, that Ernst, Tillis and Gardner are about as far right as you can get while still being able to win statewide in their states.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 02:12:44 AM »

I do think, though, that Ernst, Tillis and Gardner are about as far right as you can get while still being able to win statewide in their states.

The Republicans always push the envelope there. Meanwhile, Democrats have moderate heroes like Feinstein and Carper in deep blue states.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 10:50:18 AM »

The Republicans always push the envelope there. Meanwhile, Democrats have moderate heroes like Feinstein and Carper in deep blue states.
More or less agree. Looks like Republicans have their Karl Rove-style candidates who are model conservatives, who strike the right balance between moderate and reactionary.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »

Though this guy has no chance in winning, I thought it was an interesting (and disgusting) story.
This dude is definitely a wacko and a weirdo :

Robert Ransdell is campaigning as a write-in candidate for United States Senate in Kentucky under the slogan “With Jews We Lose!”

To read more about this candidate, here is a link:
http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2014/09/18/longtime-neo-nazi-robert-ransdell-running-for-u-s-senate/
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies