Have You Ever Completely Misjudge Who Someone Would Vote For
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:50:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have You Ever Completely Misjudge Who Someone Would Vote For
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Have You Ever Completely Misjudge Who Someone Would Vote For  (Read 910 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:46:45 PM »

Have you ever completely misjudge a friend or relative's politics?

I have an uncle living in Nashville. He's a doctor, mainline Protestant and bashes Obama and Tea Partiers alike. Solid Romney man right? Wrong. He mentioned that he voted for Rick Santorum in the GOP primary a while ago and I was completely taken aback Tongue
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 08:54:15 PM »

Not that I can recall.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »

I know a girl I went to HS with that is a stripper, has had an abortion, loves gay people (and vehemently supports gay marriage), and thinks healthcare should be free for everyone. She told me she votes Republican because "Republicans love God".

I have a theory that people like her are why Republicans get the ~45% or so every election just for showing up as opposed to the ~30% from their hardcore base.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 09:22:57 PM »

50 Cent is a Republican (or was a Republican?) so there's that.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »

My super racist Republican uncle voted for Obama because he's pro-choice, pro-gay marriage and agrees with Democrats on taxes and economic issues.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 09:42:37 PM »

My super racist Republican uncle voted for Obama because he's pro-choice, pro-gay marriage and agrees with Democrats on taxes and economic issues.

Hoe can you be a Republican but be pro-choice, pro-gay marriage and left wing on economic issues? I mean what's left. Is he typically a single-issue immigration or foreign policy voter?
GaussLaw
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 09:51:52 PM »

I have an uncle living in Nashville. He's a doctor, mainline Protestant and bashes Obama and Tea Partiers alike. Solid Romney man right? Wrong. He mentioned that he voted for Rick Santorum in the GOP primary a while ago and I was completely taken aback Tongue

To be fair, Rick Santorum now is an economic populist who advocates for more infrastructure/job-training spending and criticizes "Government is the problem" Republicans.  I mean, I would likely vote for him in the 2016 GOP primary if he stuck to that kind of platform.

For me personally, I was a Democrat until fairly recently, but few people would have guessed it, with a Jesus bumper sticker, a fondness for hunting, and an aversion to all things vegetarian.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 09:58:13 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2014, 10:02:43 PM by They call me PR »

Well, if he's a socially conservative (since he does live in Tennessee Tongue ) Protestant, even if he's a mainliner, Romney's waffling on social issues and potentially, his Mormonism could have been issues for him (Just speculating here Tongue).

Also, isn't your family from a strict orthodox Calvinist tradition? And isn't that tradition both very conservative on social (and I guess political) issues, as well as being more "High Church" than many other conservative Protestants in North America (aka politically conservative Low Church Protestants who aren't affiliated with a mainline denomination-aka "white evangelicals")?

Therefore, if your uncle is indeed more "High Church" and "traditionalist" in his conservatism (I'm assuming he's similar to you in that regard, correct me if I'm wrong! Tongue) maybe supporting a politician who is known for both his devout Catholicism and his outspoken social conservatism isn't so surprising.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 09:58:56 PM »

Hoe can you be a Republican but be pro-choice, pro-gay marriage and left wing on economic issues? I mean what's left. Is he typically a single-issue immigration or foreign policy voter?

Implying there aren't people who vote based solely on a team sports mentality as opposed to issues. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies