Perhaps the most out-of-touch video ever (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:45:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Perhaps the most out-of-touch video ever (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Perhaps the most out-of-touch video ever  (Read 4285 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 13, 2014, 09:13:54 AM »

I am not sure about Chicago is that expensive but I can very much identify with what is in this video as far as the greater NYC area is concerned.  My social circle are in the high income bracket and almost all of them have household income of $400K or above, most of them significantly above.  Once they have children as pretty much all of them do, the cost becomes very high.  It is a choice they make but all of them, including myself, make the same choice.  In blunt terms, the choice is to make sure their children lives in and attend school in an area that matches their social-economic status.  But the cost of housing and/or private school is expensive.  Since people in a similar income bracket pretty much make the same choice, they bid up the cost of housing of schooling and as a result, unless they are frugal in other areas, the level of saving they achieve is low relative to what one would expect given their income.  In that sense I very much think the video is in touch with the experience of households in the upper-middle income brackets living in high cost areas.
From what I hear, urban/suburban Illinois is about the same price as other midwestern blue states like Minnesota, Colorado and Wisconsin. At least salaries are similar.

But I stand by my remarks that people in certain communities should simply feel on top of the world from being even able to afford to live there at all.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 05:14:01 PM »

Could it be that some people would easily be able to complete the Brewsters Millions Challenge?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:23:54 AM »

Eh, if I were them I would live beyond my means. Might as well enjoy their money while they can, because they'll likely be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

It's been a while since I saw someone using that phrase.  Whenever I read an older book I mentally change "when the revolution comes" or "come the revolution" or whatever to "when Jesus returns" or "on the Day of Judgement."  It produces much the same effect as a convenient synonym for "never."

Never say never but I imagine that I won't live to see it even if I live to be 120. I can easily see me living to see another great depression. I don't think the modestly wealthy will get their comeuppance the way they think they but I don't think they will be bailed out or always be a step ahead forever. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 06:04:29 PM »

And the best people have a higher set for themselves and a lower set for everybody else.  Those people are rare.
This.

Agreed, and the owner of this gorgeous Bucktown 4-bedroom home is basically living in poverty.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2162-N-Claremont-Ave-Chicago-IL-60647/3732297_zpid/

As expensive as it is to live in Chicago, and it is, the article is obviously ridiculous and shouldn't be taken seriously. In fact, it is an insult to those who are actually making decent salaries and scraping by because of cost of living. $400,000 salaries don't fit that buck.

How much do you think it takes to actually live comfortably in Chicago, anyways?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:58:19 PM »

Agreed, and the owner of this gorgeous Bucktown 4-bedroom home is basically living in poverty.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2162-N-Claremont-Ave-Chicago-IL-60647/3732297_zpid/

As expensive as it is to live in Chicago, and it is, the article is obviously ridiculous and shouldn't be taken seriously. In fact, it is an insult to those who are actually making decent salaries and scraping by because of cost of living. $400,000 salaries don't fit that buck.

I'm sure that Chicago is pretty cheap compared to the bay area.
This is what I was thinking. Maybe about the same price as any other larger cities in the midwest/blue states in the middle of the country?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies