Is Bernie derangement syndrome a thing on this forum?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:57:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is Bernie derangement syndrome a thing on this forum?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Is Bernie derangement syndrome a thing on this forum?  (Read 2668 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 11:25:08 AM »

Folks like Blue Dog Moderate, RFKFan68, PittsburgSteel, Jalawest, Liberalrocks, The Saint, VT Dems against Sanders, EdgeofNight, and myself are the counterbalance to the BernieBro cult that's infested the Internet.

The vast majority of us are proud Democrats and we are not going away. We will stay Democrats and we shall win this battle and then the war.

At least two of the people you listed are leftists who are parodying how stupid Clinton hacks sound.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 12:36:23 PM »

Folks like Blue Dog Moderate, RFKFan68, PittsburgSteel, Jalawest, Liberalrocks, The Saint, VT Dems against Sanders, EdgeofNight, and myself are the counterbalance to the BernieBro cult that's infested the Internet.

The vast majority of us are proud Democrats and we are not going away. We will stay Democrats and we shall win this battle and then the war.

What is the battle, and what is the war?

I'm serious.  I'm not being snarky. 

The war against improving the standard of living outside the cosmopolitan major urban areas, waged by socially liberal laissez-faire capitalists (or corporatists) that views Everytown, USA as a blighted uncultured wasteland because they don't have a mosque or tax breaks for tech start ups or a tesla charging station or whatever - thus deserving to fall into ruin and drug addiction.

Bernie derangement syndrome is real on this board because the wealthier members resent being called the villains of society, and this board skews wealthy. 

Weird how people don't like being called villains and blamed for everything.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »

If you haven't typed the word "I" yet in your sentence, probably don't type "myself."  I know it sounds smarter than typing "me," but it's not. Smiley
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 07:01:05 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2017, 07:03:35 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

Bernie injected into the Democratic debate New Deal themes that the Democrats have shied away from, and that is good.  Bernie is an unabashed New Dealer; he spoke of taking care of the folks in ways that there not being taken care of (healthcare, huge college loans) that are relevant concerns.  Bernie used modern social media to reach folks and make himself a national figure, and folks responded favorably.  As well they should have; healthcare and higher education represent access to the middle class.  And he repeatedly hammered away on the issue of income inequality to where it's now in the national consciousness.  Bernie also illuminated the fact that liberal Democrats have been complicit in at least some of the forces that have resulted in income inequality.

That being said, Bernie isn't even a Democrat.  At one level, Zell Miller is more of a Democrat than Bernie at the level of commitment to the party; despite his apostasy, Zell Miller has done more in his lifetime to elect Democratic officials than has Bernie.  People say this doesn't matter, but there is (and ought to be) resistance on the part of a political party in nominating for its standard bearer a candidate who won't even say, "I'm a Democrat!" and identify himself as (D-Vermont).  Yes, he's a member of the Democratic Caucus in the Senate; that's a live-in boyfriend, maybe an eternal "fiance" or a long-term paramour, but it's not a spouse, and it's not a person who's been committed to the party.  

Hillary Clinton, much as I loathe her, is at least married to the Democratic Party; she has labored for other Democrats over the years, including some that haven't been overly grateful.  If the fix was in on the part of DWS and the DNC, they were not wrong in being concerned that someone who wasn't really a Democrat was the leading rival to the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination.  If things go south, a spouse is less likely to publicly air dirty laundry than a mere boyfriend or girlfriend, because they are more vested in the relationship.  And if you think being vested in a relationship to your party isn't important, I give you Governor Jim Justice (D-West Virginia) (R-West Virginia).

The Bernie Bros don't get it at certain levels.  Presidential Politics is PARTY Politics, and their man is a member of the Liberty Union Party or Green Mountain Party, or whatever.  He's identified as (I-Vermont); that's not a Democrat.  Am I missing something here?  I don't really think so.  Bernie's not a Democrat; that's a bigger deal than Bernie Bros acknowledge.

This.

I don't think there's as much hatred for Bernie so much as there is for his hardcore supporters. I don't think Bernie is even remotely competent when it comes to policy, which is why I'm opposed to almost all of the the specific policies he has suggested, but actually tend to align pretty heavily to his movement's priorities (i.e.: reducing income inequality, reducing education costs, holding those at the top of the system accountable for its failures, etc.)

There are a lot of things Bernie Bro's won't acknowledge because they'll explain any opposition to their movement as the result of corruption rather than authentic disagreements. It certainly doesn't win them any favors to so broadly dismiss people's concerns as being illegitimate, but it's not unexpected either. It's typical for those caught in cults of personality to frame things in simplistic us versus them narratives (just look at Donald Trump's fanbase).

But I don't care that much about Bernie. He's the kind of an eccentric personality that will always win over its own base of support. I certainly don't hate him the way I hate Trump, I just think he's overhyped and wouldn't make for a competent leader or policy-crafter (in fact he'd be an actively terrible one). His most loyal identitarian fanboys are insufferable though.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies