Scottish independence - The Official Atlas Forum mock referendum (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:15:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Scottish independence - The Official Atlas Forum mock referendum (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Scotland be an independent country?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 148

Author Topic: Scottish independence - The Official Atlas Forum mock referendum  (Read 6535 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: September 13, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »

No because I don't buy into idiotic crap like nationalism.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 09:41:02 AM »

Actually reading more about the potential economic consequences of this...I'm convinced this is REALLY a bad idea, and not something to just oppose on anti-nationalist principles. An independent Scotland could very well end up like Spain or Italy now (not likely to be as bad as Greece of course, but heading in that general direction.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 02:18:45 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2014, 02:21:06 PM by black and white band photos »

I'd rather have all of the UK under a Labour government than it minus Scotland under a Tory government and Scotland under some yucky nationalist government.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2014, 02:47:03 PM by black and white band photos »

I'd rather have all of the UK under a Labour government than it minus Scotland under a Tory government and Scotland under some yucky nationalist government.

What's yucky about the SNP? I'd like to actually know your well thought out reasons on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_of_Abdelbaset_al-Megrahi
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:50:41 PM »

What's yucky about the SNP? I'd like to actually know your well thought out reasons on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdelbaset_al-Megrahi

So releasing a felon with  terminal prostate cancer is your reason to hate the SNP?

That and that I oppose all nationalist parties on principle. After all "nationalist parties" is a category wide enough it also includes Golden Dawn.

Might I point out the SNP kept claiming that he had only about three months to live at the time of release. That clearly wasn't true.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 03:04:31 PM »

The Lord's Resistance Army clearly don't follow the teachings of Jesus. But Golden Dawn do epitomize nationalism. And nationalism is also basically completely incompatible with Christianity, which was one of the good points Bill Maher made in his documentary movie.

But a simpler summary might be that I'm unpersuaded by "RAR RAR NATIONALISM!" or "We can keep all the oil money and run the economy on that!" when the oil isn't going to be around or in high demand much longer.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 03:49:58 PM »

Funny because the Tories would love Scottish independence.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 06:01:26 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2014, 06:07:08 PM by black and white band photos »

Breaking up the cancerous Empire is bad now?

The Empire broke up decades before either you or I were born. While it existed nowhere did it find as much support as in Scotland. Whatever this is about, it's not that.

Actually...

(Yeah I know, that's not an empire. But still an interesting piece of trivia.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 06:06:31 PM »

You do realize SNP is basically social democratic?

From what I understand they are still to the right of Labour. Or at least the Scottish wing of Labour. I remember Bono found them OK (and said they're still a generally a pro-market party) and remember that Tory afleitch doesn't seem to mind them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 06:59:06 PM »

You do realize SNP is basically social democratic?

From what I understand they are still to the right of Labour. Or at least the Scottish wing of Labour. I remember Bono found them OK (and said they're still a generally a pro-market party) and remember that Tory afleitch doesn't seem to mind them.

Still, putting them in the same category as f**king Golden Dawn Nazis is... bizzare, to say least.

There is a huge difference between Golden Dawn or Jobbik-style nationalism and merely wanting your country to be independent.

But why should it be independent? It's not a persecuted country or one under brutal occupation ala those Caucasus regions in Russia or East Timor under Indonesia or anything. And it has a fully devolved parliament as well, and is no less culturally distinct from the rest of the UK as New York is from Oklahoma. The only arguments I can hear are "RAR RAR NATIONALISM!" or "Let's keep the oil and use it to boost the economy forever!" which isn't going to crumble HARD in about a decade if done.

Also another Fianna Fail is not a positive prospect.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies