Scottish independence - The Official Atlas Forum mock referendum (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:18:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Scottish independence - The Official Atlas Forum mock referendum (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Scotland be an independent country?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 148

Author Topic: Scottish independence - The Official Atlas Forum mock referendum  (Read 6394 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: September 13, 2014, 05:54:46 PM »

Yes obviously.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 08:03:53 PM »

A British loyalist American is a distressing phenomenon.

Also, if Scots get independence, then Ireland would go to war over North Ireland.

Yes, definitely.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 08:07:31 PM »

Also, if Scots get independence, then Ireland would go to war over North Ireland.

Yes, definitely.

Dafuq, oh is this the poster who is 12?

Yes. Although given the level of discourse I wouldn't be surprised if it were otherwise.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »

Yes, definitely.

Yes. Although given the level of discourse I wouldn't be surprised if it were otherwise.

Now I remember why I try to stay off this part of the forums, because I'm actually a waste of humanity. Yay for my seemingly never ending waste of breath that crawls around on the planet and dares to breathe your same air.

You can't see how saying "Ireland will go to war over the north if Scotland quits the UK" is silly? What's your reasoning for this?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 08:31:10 PM »

Yes, definitely.

Now I remember why I try to stay off this part of the forums, because I'm actually a waste of humanity. Yay for my seemingly never ending waste of breath that crawls around on the planet and dares to breathe your same air.

You can't see how saying "Ireland will go to war over the north if Scotland quits the UK" is silly? What's your reasoning for this?

Yes, definitely.

Relax Jack.  It is just that I don't know where you would get that the Republic of Ireland would, even if it had the capability, go to war in Northern Ireland because of Scottish Independence.  There are several reasons that this is just an odd and out of left field statement.

I was meaning going to war with England over the issue of Northern Ireland and all that IRA crup that happened...

Okay, I'll clear it up - Ireland has never gone to war over Northern Ireland. The IRA had no connection to the Republic of Ireland but was an illegal terrorist group. Ireland did have a civil war between pro-Treaty and anti-Treaty sides over the North (the Treaty in question allowed the partition of the island), but that's it. We're not going to go to war. Huh
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 08:38:37 PM »

Oakvale why are you spending your saturday night explaining why the Republic of Ireland isn't going to invade a friendly country to the north???

(well i guess it's nearly 3 there)

I have no money. This is light entertainment to me at this point in my sick life.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »

In Jacks defense, I speculated that Ulster Unionists might have been behind the Boston bombings in the first hours after the attacks. Of course, seeing as two Chechens were the culprits, my suggestion wasn't that crazy.

Huh Elaborate?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 12:09:36 PM »

Actually reading more about the potential economic consequences of this...I'm convinced this is REALLY a bad idea, and not something to just oppose on anti-nationalist principles. An independent Scotland could very well end up like Spain or Italy now (not likely to be as bad as Greece of course, but heading in that general direction.)

This is ridiculous. There'll be some teething pains if Scotland votes for independence but the idea that it'd be some kind of disastrous basket case is pure nonsensical propaganda. That's not to say it'd instantly be some kind of cartoonish liberal welfare paradise, either, but independent Scotland is not going to be a failed state.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 01:16:49 PM »

I mostly agree with Foucaulf; though I'd replace his worry about right-wing populism (not really much of an issue there I'd think) with a worry about how Scottish independence would be a pro-Tory gerrymander in the rest of the UK.  And, yes, that is a legitimate thing to care about.

No it's not. The Scottish don't owe the rest of Britain a Labour government.

Not to mention that the importance of Labour's Scottish seats are overrated but that's not particularly relevant in this context.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 04:30:15 PM »

atlas.txt
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies