Scottish independence - The Official Atlas Forum mock referendum (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:14:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Scottish independence - The Official Atlas Forum mock referendum (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Scotland be an independent country?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 148

Author Topic: Scottish independence - The Official Atlas Forum mock referendum  (Read 6501 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: September 14, 2014, 02:58:27 PM »

OK, I'm quite conflicted on the issue.

On one hand, I see no reason to oppose the Scottish independence, if voters elect so. After all, every nation has a right of self-determination and Scotland would do just fine on her own.

On the other, I must confess I'm uneasy with a prospect of Tory-dominated UK politics if Scotland leaves.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 04:28:56 PM »

I'd rather have all of the UK under a Labour government than it minus Scotland under a Tory government and Scotland under some yucky nationalist government.

You do realize SNP is basically social democratic?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 01:23:27 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2014, 01:25:26 PM by Princess Kenny »

I'd rather have all of the UK under a Labour government than it minus Scotland under a Tory government and Scotland under some yucky nationalist government.

From what I understand they are still to the right of Labour. Or at least the Scottish wing of Labour. I remember Bono found them OK (and said they're still a generally a pro-market party) and remember that Tory afleitch doesn't seem to mind them.

Still, putting them in the same category as f**king Golden Dawn Nazis is... bizzare, to say least.

There is a huge difference between Golden Dawn or Jobbik-style nationalism and merely wanting your country to be independent.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2014, 04:45:38 PM by Princess Kenny »

From what I understand they are still to the right of Labour. Or at least the Scottish wing of Labour. I remember Bono found them OK (and said they're still a generally a pro-market party) and remember that Tory afleitch doesn't seem to mind them.

Still, putting them in the same category as f**king Golden Dawn Nazis is... bizzare, to say least.

There is a huge difference between Golden Dawn or Jobbik-style nationalism and merely wanting your country to be independent.

But why should it be independent? It's not a persecuted country or one under brutal occupation ala those Caucasus regions in Russia or East Timor under Indonesia or anything. And it has a fully devolved parliament as well, and is no less culturally distinct from the rest of the UK as New York is from Oklahoma. The only arguments I can hear are "RAR RAR NATIONALISM!" or "Let's keep the oil and use it to boost the economy forever!" which isn't going to crumble HARD in about a decade if done.

Well, we may argue whether Scotland would be better off as independent, or should remaining in the UK, but it's not our decision, as whichever decision Scottish voters make, why should respect it.

Right to self-determination is one of the basic fundamentals of the UN charter.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 01:00:47 PM »

Al nailed it, again.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies