Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:39:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 77
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 130553 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: September 24, 2014, 08:46:59 PM »

Yeah, I'm largely with J-Mann.  Jumping ship seems premature.  Even if you're on shaky ground, I wouldn't give up and assume that I'm out, when there's still a chance of a turnaround.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #476 on: September 24, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »

I agree with J-Mann, too.  I'm not going to give up yet again when there's no sign of danger, yet.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #477 on: September 24, 2014, 10:22:48 PM »

I like J-Mann.  Update-wise, he's like a smarter Inks without all the awful. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #478 on: September 24, 2014, 10:33:56 PM »

I agree with J-Mann, too.  I'm not going to give up yet again when there's no sign of danger, yet.

Well, I also wouldn't say that there's no sign of danger.  It sounds like there *are* signs of danger.  But I would use that as incentive to prove your value to the company now, while you have the chance, rather than an incentive to quit.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #479 on: September 24, 2014, 10:43:01 PM »

Well, I also wouldn't say that there's no sign of danger.  It sounds like there *are* signs of danger.  But I would use that as incentive to prove your value to the company now, while you have the chance, rather than an incentive to quit.

I agree with that. There are signs, which is reason not to be happy-go-lucky and carefree. That being said, you've had some great days and evidently are showing signs of improvement.

I think you're probably looking at things realistically, Jeff, which is -- you had a rough performance review and are working to correct the issues that were discussed. Keep that up. You just have to expect that when you say something like "there's no sign of danger" here, a half-dozen Forumites (including me) will take issue with the accuracy of such a statement Smiley
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #480 on: September 25, 2014, 07:24:00 AM »

Let's all remember that this company saw his resume for the first time, called him, brought him in for an interview, and hired him all in the span of a couple hours. Clearly they don't do things the "normal" way there, so no reason to read too much into them giving him extra days for grief if he needed them.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #481 on: September 25, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »

Nagas,

I seriously doubt it.  If I get let go, I'm sure it will be a respectful and cordial affair.  I am doing really well in my actual work and he has told me before that my help is appreciated and needed.  The poor review appears to be a thing of the past and I'm starting to look forward to my next review in early October.  I'm not getting cocky, naturally, but i'm not exactly worried.  He is a very understanding guy.  He wants the work to be done and done well, but he is also a human being who is sensitive to the needs of his employees.  I have no reason to be concerned at this point.

You do realize that this conflicts with his giving you a week off without notice, right?  I'm not saying you're going to get canned (and I think some of the forum's fears about that are over the top), but if you were truly needed, you wouldn't just get a week off on the fly.  That's a lot different from a vacation that you planned and were able to make arrangements for people to cover your duties.  If you're dispensable for an entire week, are you really needed?  You do have a reason to be concerned (again, not as much as some on the forum are saying you should be), but I don't think you're connecting all the dots.

As for people encouraging you to take this other job with your cousin's brother or whoever it is, I'd advise against that.  If that falls through or you don't like it, you've thrown away a job that you seem to like and enjoy, and quitting this job without accumulating some tenure is only going to hurt your résumé.  Obviously that won't matter if you stick with your relative's company after this job, but if that doesn't work out, you've really screwed yourself going forward, because your résumé will then show two short-tenure positions with CAD employers, which will make future CAD employers VERY hesitant to hire you.  I see no reason to discuss this with your parents... I think the risks greatly outweigh the benefits regarding leaving your current job.

The only problem with this new company is it is in Oklahoma City, so I would have to move yet again while keeping my apartment in Tulsa since the lease doesn't run out until May 31.

I probably shouldn't tell you this, since keeping the apartment incentivizes you to stay, but just in case something happens with your current job, you could always sublease your Tulsa apartment.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #482 on: September 25, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »

I don't think encouraging Bushie into entering the world of subletting is a particularly brilliant idea.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #483 on: September 25, 2014, 02:08:47 PM »

On the contrary, I think Bushie would make a fantastic slumlord.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #484 on: September 25, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »

On the contrary, I think Bushie would make a fantastic slumlord.

Yeah the Hobo Orgy Guy incident showed us that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #485 on: September 25, 2014, 04:08:22 PM »

Inks, I totally agree with you (shocker!). I am not going to leave this job.  He gave me a week off, so I need to show him some loyalty.  I promised him that I wouldn't miss anytime for the duration of my 90 day probation.  There are warning signs, but they aren't loud and deafening, more like whispers right now.  Anyway, I need to get back to work.  I've still got 20 minutes left today.  Talk to you later this evening.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #486 on: September 25, 2014, 06:18:28 PM »

Bushie, whatever you do, DO NOT make an assumption and just impulsively quit the job.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #487 on: September 25, 2014, 06:27:36 PM »

Bushie, whatever you do, DO NOT make an assumption and just impulsively quit the job.

Remember always the true hero of Update. 

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #488 on: September 25, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »

Harry, you don't have to worry.  I'm in this for the long haul.  I'm just ready to get back to normal.  I told my boss today that I won't miss anymore through the rest of my 90 days.  This means I will do my very best to put up a perfect October.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #489 on: September 25, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »

Inks, I totally agree with you (shocker!). I am not going to leave this job.  He gave me a week off, so I need to show him some loyalty.  I promised him that I wouldn't miss anytime for the duration of my 90 day probation.  There are warning signs, but they aren't loud and deafening, more like whispers right now.  Anyway, I need to get back to work.  I've still got 20 minutes left today.  Talk to you later this evening.

If anything... that's much worse.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #490 on: September 25, 2014, 07:23:56 PM »

That could be worse, but as I'm assessing the situation right now, I've no reason to be overly worried.  Concerned? Yes, worried? No.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #491 on: September 25, 2014, 07:24:51 PM »

It will be a lot easier to assess things when I get back to full normal on Monday.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #492 on: September 25, 2014, 07:58:16 PM »

We're not quite being told the whole story as usual.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #493 on: September 25, 2014, 08:04:04 PM »

You know all of the story that I know.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #494 on: September 25, 2014, 08:12:18 PM »

Do you feel like you're kinda out of the loop yourself on this one?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #495 on: September 25, 2014, 08:28:57 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2014, 08:32:04 PM by Christmas Bushie 2014 »

Not really.  My boss and I have developed a good rapport with each other.  We communicate quite well.  Of course, he could still be planning to send me packing and I don't know it, but he hasn't given any hints of that, yet.  I still have roughly 5 weeks left in my 90 days, so I should be getting a clearer idea as October progresses.

Plus, as others have said, if he had made up his mind to get rid of me, why would he welcome me back to work and try to work with me.  He doesn't owe me anything, and it seems like a counter-productive move to keep me around if he had made up his mind to can me.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #496 on: September 25, 2014, 10:42:01 PM »

Not really.  My boss and I have developed a good rapport with each other.  We communicate quite well.  Of course, he could still be planning to send me packing and I don't know it, but he hasn't given any hints of that, yet.  I still have roughly 5 weeks left in my 90 days, so I should be getting a clearer idea as October progresses.

Plus, as others have said, if he had made up his mind to get rid of me, why would he welcome me back to work and try to work with me.  He doesn't owe me anything, and it seems like a counter-productive move to keep me around if he had made up his mind to can me.

You're right -- I feel compelled to point out again that, as long as you're actually getting back to work, they would be paying you over $12,000 pre-tax over the next 26 business days. If they were set on terminating you, they'd just go ahead and do it ... it's not like you signed a contract to guarantee you employment for the 90-day period. Your employment is at-will.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #497 on: September 26, 2014, 12:28:08 AM »

Also, please get to a store ASAP and buy some food when you get back to Tulsa. You've put this off so many times. You can start with small steps, but at least start.

This was what we had tonight -- turkey burgers with tomato, onion and mushrooms in the meat and topped with spinach (it's like lettuce on your burger, trust me ... not like the canned stuff) and tomatoes on wheat buns. We also had grilled asparagus wrapped in turkey bacon.

Give these sorts of things a try, Jeff. Don't keep putting it off.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #498 on: September 26, 2014, 12:42:54 AM »

I just spent some time reading classic Update. Do you guys remember that flashback episode about Bushie's favorite high school teacher (the one who said that Adolf Hitler was Abraham Lincoln's son)? Great stuff!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #499 on: September 26, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »

I'm out of the doctor's appointment.  Everything turned out normal.  My blood pressure and sodium are a touch high, but not enough to sound the alarm.  I'm waiting on new medicine to help with the elevated Tourette's I've had due to this death in the family, but it was a very good appointment.  I'll get a bite to eat and then head to work.  I'm still on track for a 1230-1300 arrival.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies