Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:04:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 77
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 130396 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: September 27, 2014, 05:43:16 PM »

I'm actually kind of excited about the next chapter.  I have no reason to be nervous right now or upset.  I did everything I could do to keep this job and it just wasn't enough.  I'll wash my hands of this job and I'll come out the winner.
If this was everything you could do, you're never going to have a CAD job. Either try much harder or work at BigBoxMart forever.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #601 on: September 27, 2014, 05:58:55 PM »

$7000 over ten years? Why that long? How much are the interest payments?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #602 on: September 27, 2014, 06:01:08 PM »

I don't see the radio thing as weird. If I'm knuckling down to something, I shut my office door and put on a podcast or something on YouTube - always helps me. There is something about the American workplace that just seems awful.

On topic ... Let's make these points clear

a) if you were as good a drafter as you believed - you would not be getting fired
b) you're an awful judge of your own abilities
c) just because you want a career in something, doesn't meant you're either going to have one, or have one on your timetable
d) it's clear your CADD skill-set isn't READY yet - stop, get a low-demand job - practice CADD every night (yes, EVERY NIGHT) then in 3-6 months time. Start looking again.

You're never going to have a career if you keep jumping from CADD job to job without building your skill set to a workable level. The other issue, considering your inability to judge your own abilities, did you over-sell yourself in the interview.

It could be that the negative perf review was because you weren't doing things he's assumed you should be able to, even with basic CADD training.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #603 on: September 27, 2014, 06:13:59 PM »

I don't see the radio thing as weird. If I'm knuckling down to something, I shut my office door and put on a podcast or something on YouTube - always helps me. There is something about the American workplace that just seems awful.

a) if you were as good a drafter as you believed - you would not be getting fired
c) just because you want a career in something, doesn't meant you're either going to have one, or have one on your timetable
d) it's clear your CADD skill-set isn't READY yet - stop, get a low-demand job - practice CADD every night (yes, EVERY NIGHT) then in 3-6 months time. Start looking again.

You're never going to have a career if you keep jumping from CADD job to job without building your skill set to a workable level. The other issue, considering your inability to judge your own abilities, did you over-sell yourself in the interview.

It could be that the negative perf review was because you weren't doing things he's assumed you should be able to, even with basic CADD training.

There are many, many things that are awful about the American workplace. 
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #604 on: September 27, 2014, 06:24:17 PM »

The job-hopping will be a career-killer, Jeff. It's one thing to have cycled through a dozen call centers. It's a new ball game for employers if they see two months here, six months there, and another four over here ... all in a field you consider your career. Employers reviewing resumes don't look at a two-month stint as "just practicing."

Maybe you should consider something absolutely mindless for the time being ... punch in, punch out. And while you're doing that and earning some money, prove it to yourself how much you want a CADD job. Practice at home like you said you might but never did. Spend your so-called free time bettering yourself in preparation for that career you want, rather than toad-out and watch literally dozens of hours of TV per week.

And if you can't bring yourself to practice your craft outside of an 8:00-to-5:00 workday, then maybe you don't really want it as a career after all, eh?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #605 on: September 27, 2014, 06:35:06 PM »

I'm still going to follow through with my current plan of applying for CAD jobs.  My career is not over, nor is it on hold.  My career is in the here and now, front and center.  I do not doubt my abilities at all and my confidence is not shaken.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #606 on: September 27, 2014, 06:39:06 PM »

I'm still going to follow through with my current plan of applying for CAD jobs.  My career is not over, nor is it on hold.  My career is in the here and now, front and center.  I do not doubt my abilities at all and my confidence is not shaken.

Are you willing to cut down on the endless hours of television and wasted time and invest in your career then? That's the real question ... will you try to better yourself beyond the bare minimum and going through the motions on the clock? So far, you haven't shown me you're willing to do that ... and you're not letting me down, by not investing in yourself. You're failing YOU.

Are you willing to do that? Will you?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #607 on: September 27, 2014, 06:40:04 PM »

That's the thing about a career vs a job - one is different from the other, not because you decide it is, but because of the effort you put behind it. That includes, occasionally doing work outside of standard hours, in my case to read up on a topic I have to write on or attend meetings and need to understand it.

I'm still going to follow through with my current plan of applying for CAD jobs.  My career is not over, nor is it on hold.  My career is in the here and now, front and center.  I do not doubt my abilities at all and my confidence is not shaken.

I hate to be cruel, but frankly, it should.

You seem utterly intent on not taking this on as a lesson. That somehow this is the Boss' fault for not having patience with you.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #608 on: September 27, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »

J-Mann, yes, I am willing to do whatever it takes to succeed.  I don't think I have to completely give up all TV or computer time or church time, but I will mix it in.

Polnut, I'm not placing any blame on my boss.  I've learned my lesson, but I've also learned what I need to do better in the future.  Pay attention to detail is at the top of the list.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #609 on: September 27, 2014, 06:54:13 PM »

J-Mann, yes, I am willing to do whatever it takes to succeed.  I don't think I have to completely give up all TV or computer time or church time, but I will mix it in.

Polnut, I'm not placing any blame on my boss.  I've learned my lesson, but I've also learned what I need to do better in the future.  Pay attention to detail is at the top of the list.

No one is saying to give it up altogether. What so many have pointed out is that you proudly (and really, the pride you take in your own sloth is sickening) announce how many hours you'll be watching television each night when you could and should be spending at least SOME time honing your supposed craft. You ignored that advice, you continued to trumpet your couch-potato status, and now you hint at your boss's patience as the prime reason behind this most-recent turn of events.

I feel like I'm typing to a brick wall, but you are the master of your own destiny. You chart your own course. Now you say you're willing to do what it takes, but you've said that before and didn't do it. You didn't self-learn. You didn't practice. What makes this time any different?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #610 on: September 27, 2014, 06:57:53 PM »

Bushie, the day your boss yelled at you and was "cranky," you said he kept trying to explain something to you and stormed out saying "you don't get it."

That's one glimpse you've shown us. But to me that says 0% attention to detail was the problem 100% fundamental lack of understanding a concept. If you just don't know what you're really looking at, it won't matter how hard you pay attention, you won't see what is wrong with it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #611 on: September 27, 2014, 07:02:14 PM »

For the entire 8 weeks, detail was the biggest factor in my performance.  My boss acknowledged I finally started getting the concepts.  He says I've made progress, just not enough.  So, I lose this job.  So what?  I'm going to take what I started doing well at the end and hone those skills and come back even stronger.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #612 on: September 27, 2014, 07:06:20 PM »

For the entire 8 weeks, detail was the biggest factor in my performance.  My boss acknowledged I finally started getting the concepts.  He says I've made progress, just not enough.  So, I lose this job.  So what?  I'm going to take what I started doing well at the end and hone those skills and come back even stronger.

Finally started getting concepts? You already graduated from school. You should've known the concepts on day one.

It's fine that you want to continue with CAD but don't claim you're at all good at it. You're slow picking up concepts. You show poor attention to detail. You're a huge burden to any employer. You weren't some intern, but were hired as a full time employee and you performed horribly. You have to acknowledge this in order to actually improve.

And again, your employer was not some huge corporation churning through performance charts and workers. He was an elderly small businessman expanding and being kind enough to give you an opportunity. You will NOT meet a more understanding boss and good paying entry level situation.

Lord help you if your next potential employer calls him as a reference.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #613 on: September 27, 2014, 07:17:50 PM »

Bushie….assuming you *do* get fired, then you should definitely treat your next stint at unemployment differently from your last.  Behave as if you still have a full time job, but your new job is looking for a new job and studying CAD.  You should be doing that, 9-5 every day at the very least.  If it helps, you can post here every day "I spent this many hours job hunting today, this many hours studying CAD, this many hours watching TV, etc." to keep you honest.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #614 on: September 27, 2014, 07:29:53 PM »

King, I know for a fact that there are changes I need to make.  I am confident in my abilities, but I still need to improve to be a valuable team member.  I also acknowledge that I will not find an easier opportunity.  Things definitely have to change and I need to work CAD into my day.

Morden, I know I need to treat the job search as my full time job.  For the most part I do.  I usually search for a job from 8:30-17:00 and then keep my phone on until 20:00 for after hours calls.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #615 on: September 27, 2014, 07:32:46 PM »

Just get on disability and be happy, Bushie. You don't want CADD. You'll be happier napping, watching tv, listening to Christmas music, and watching the weather all day. If you can't make it at a small mom and pop CADD drafting firm, you aren't going to make it anywhere.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #616 on: September 27, 2014, 07:33:50 PM »

Even with trying to save my job on Tuesday, I'm still going to start the job search hot and heavy on Monday with several applications going in tomorrow night.
Am I the only one who noticed this?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #617 on: September 27, 2014, 07:41:01 PM »

King, I know for a fact that there are changes I need to make.  I am confident in my abilities, but I still need to improve to be a valuable team member.  I also acknowledge that I will not find an easier opportunity.  Things definitely have to change and I need to work CAD into my day.

Morden, I know I need to treat the job search as my full time job.  For the most part I do.  I usually search for a job from 8:30-17:00 and then keep my phone on until 20:00 for after hours calls.

You must practice more on your skills and read up on your CAD books and practice with the program, hell, do it during commercial breaks of  football games if you really can't cut that out of your life. If you want to continue in this field then you must be willing to improve.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #618 on: September 27, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »

Just get on disability and be happy, Bushie. You don't want CADD. You'll be happier napping, watching tv, listening to Christmas music, and watching the weather all day. If you can't make it at a small mom and pop CADD drafting firm, you aren't going to make it anywhere.

J-Mann
United States

« Reply #619 on: September 27, 2014, 07:46:38 PM »

Morden is absolutely right -- you need a system to help keep you honest with both the job search and the amount of time you spend practicing CADD. You can't put off the job hunt, but you're the master of sweeping other things under the rug ... grocery shopping, eating healthy, practicing CADD, etc.

For what it's worth, I spend a lot of time outside of work actually working on work projects, reading and sharpening my skills.

And Jeff -- I took a brief look at the company recommended by your family member. On the surface, I would recommend passing on it. You can submit a resume, maybe, and request to be considered for something entry level, but I didn't see any positions listed on the website that you are suited for skill-wise right now. And if a family member is trying to do you a favor, you could easily end up in a square peg / round hole situation, taking on far more than you're capable of right now.

Don't read that as a knock on your potential ... it's just that you know when a position exceeds your capabilities, and no amount of positive thinking magically gives you skills you didn't previously have.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #620 on: September 27, 2014, 08:06:44 PM »

I know I can't put off the job search which is why I've got now four places to apply online Sunday night when I get back to my resume and then two places to visit in Tulsa Monday morning and then a Goodwill job fair (no CAD) on Thursday, October 2.

On that company, I think I would be qualified for the Mechanical Draftsman job.  Plus he did say that if I don't see anything online to go ahead and apply as there are many jobs open that are not posted online.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #621 on: September 27, 2014, 08:18:27 PM »

lol at you people still giving Bushie advice
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #622 on: September 27, 2014, 08:32:15 PM »

Surprised that less people have clocked this and subsequent related posts:

I am excellent with dates.  I can remember exact dates from my childhood and even before I was born.  I can even name what day of the week the event happened.  I have a virtual calendar in my head so without looking at a real calendar, I know what day a particular date fell on or will fall on.

I'm no expert, but that's a really classic (to the point of cliché, even) sign of a certain something.

Ten minutes to Wapner.  Uh oh.  Ten minutes to Wapner.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #623 on: September 27, 2014, 08:34:24 PM »

I do not doubt my abilities at all and my confidence is not shaken.
And this is why you are forever unemployed. You think you can do anything. I have news for you. You can't. Life isn't a Disney movie and you're not special. It's as plain as day that you'll never keep any sort of career. Just get a damn job already. You're 32 Inksing years old.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #624 on: September 27, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »

Doesn't everyone on this forum know that Nixon resigned on a Friday?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies