Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:06:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 77
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 130357 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: September 27, 2014, 09:17:18 PM »

Jeff, I think at this point it's clear that your decision to leave your program early, not do the final project, and then proceed to spend several months proceeding to forget a large chunk of whatever you paid $7,000 to learn was a mistake.

You say your main problem is attention to detail. That's like an accountant saying his main problem is not being very good with numbers. There is no point in hiring a CADD person at all if they're not going to pay attention to the details and make sure the designs are exactly the way they're intended to be. I don't really know what the professional standards in that line of work are, but if there is some way you can do continuing education, whether online or taking another class at MetroTech, you ought to avail yourself of that if you seriously want to stay in this field. You also should have sought out a mentor at your present job, but alas that ship has already sailed.

The litigation paralegal in me is wondering if your Tourette's puts you in a position to sue your employer, but it sounds like they're too small to be covered by ADA and most other workplace laws (and I seriously doubt a state like Oklahoma adheres to anything beyond the bare minimum federal laws). And besides, even if that were an option, it seems downright sickening to consider bleeding a small business dry and likely destroying it altogether just so you can get a lump-sum settlement to cover your daily Braum's combo meal and premium cable packages.

DO YOU WANT TO DO THIS JOB, JEFF? I want you to seriously answer that. Don't talk about the student loans - those are a sunk cost and there's nothing you can do but pay them regardless. Don't talk about your fantasies of a stable middle class life and a wife and kids. Don't talk about wanting to be independent of your parents. All of those things can be obtained through a lot of different avenues, some no doubt more promising than this one. If you're going to try to shoehorn yourself into a job that you do not seem to be succeeding in, you're just going to cycle through a couple more CADD positions, render yourself unemployable in that field and then return to your call center joke jobs. And there's no path to a real life through those. The only thing sadder than a 32 year old man who's dependent on his parents is going to be a 42 year old man who's dependent on his parents. At this rate, that's you in a decade.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time writing this because you're not going to listen to me if you're not going to listen to anyone else here.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #626 on: September 27, 2014, 09:27:43 PM »

I know I can't put off the job search which is why I've got now four places to apply online Sunday night when I get back to my resume and then two places to visit in Tulsa Monday morning and then a Goodwill job fair (no CAD) on Thursday, October 2.

On that company, I think I would be qualified for the Mechanical Draftsman job.  Plus he did say that if I don't see anything online to go ahead and apply as there are many jobs open that are not posted online.

Pay close attention to the job's character qualities and preferred experience:

Thoroughness
Creativity
Dependability
Initiative
SolidWorks CAD knowledge
Machine Drawing knowledge
Adobe Product Suite knowledge

Even though those final three are "preferred," that does not mean they're optional for the long-term success of the position. And they're not running a training shop ... you'd either need to walk in having a grasp on those items or learn them quickly on your own, and speaking to the fourth character trait they're looking for, I don't believe you have the initiative to learn on your own.

DO YOU WANT TO DO THIS JOB, JEFF? I want you to seriously answer that. Don't talk about the student loans - those are a sunk cost and there's nothing you can do but pay them regardless. Don't talk about your fantasies of a stable middle class life and a wife and kids. Don't talk about wanting to be independent of your parents. All of those things can be obtained through a lot of different avenues, some no doubt more promising than this one. If you're going to try to shoehorn yourself into a job that you do not seem to be succeeding in, you're just going to cycle through a couple more CADD positions, render yourself unemployable in that field and then return to your call center joke jobs. And there's no path to a real life through those. The only thing sadder than a 32 year old man who's dependent on his parents is going to be a 42 year old man who's dependent on his parents. At this rate, that's you in a decade.

Thank you, Indy, for a really well-written reply. I want to see your answer, too, Jeff -- devoid of any ridiculous pep-talking ("I can do it!") and dreams of being something you're not. Answer as to whether or not you want CADD as a career and are interested. We ask because you were literally handed an opportunity and YOU failed to capitalize on it ... you did the bare minimum to get by. We encouraged you to practice. We encouraged you to cut the sloth and spend some time improving yourself, and you didn't. You did the minimum. Period. And it didn't work for you.

People who want careers give their all, not the minimum.

Remember the Sean Connery quote from "The Rock:" Your best!? Losers are always whining about their best. Winners go home and f*** the prom queen.

I don't want to hear that you gave your best. Because you didn't.
Ntwadumela
Rookie
« Reply #627 on: September 27, 2014, 09:49:56 PM »

Good advice for workers:  be first to work, last to leave, no music, head down, don't watch clock, show up every day, don't suck.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #628 on: September 27, 2014, 09:51:41 PM »

Good advice for workers:  be first to work, last to leave, no music, head down, don't watch clock, show up every day, don't suck.

You catch on fast, newbie.  The Update is an excellent ongoing education on How To Not Live Your Life.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #629 on: September 27, 2014, 09:59:43 PM »

You catch on fast, newbie.  The Update is an excellent ongoing education on How To Not Live Your Life.

Yeah, the American workplace is terrible.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #630 on: September 27, 2014, 10:02:48 PM »

Hi opebo Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #631 on: September 27, 2014, 10:09:25 PM »

How are things for workers Down Under?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #632 on: September 27, 2014, 10:10:50 PM »

Not that bad... I mean, the idea that you can't get sick or need to be away from the office for the first six-weeks without being fired?

I mean, there are certainly more restrictive and controlled workplaces.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #633 on: September 27, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »

Bushie, serious question

Have you considered seeing a psychiatrist?

I repeat my question.

Ntwadumela
Rookie
« Reply #634 on: September 27, 2014, 10:12:42 PM »

Hi opebo Smiley

Why do you call yourself "King"?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #635 on: September 27, 2014, 10:13:57 PM »

Bushie, serious question

I repeat my question.

I believe he answered that question some time ago... he won't do it because of how it would look. He'd be even more damaged goods in the marriage market.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #636 on: September 27, 2014, 10:15:50 PM »

Bushie, serious question

I repeat my question.

Are you a chronically bored or an ironist?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #637 on: September 27, 2014, 10:16:53 PM »

Not that bad... I mean, the idea that you can't get sick or need to be away from the office for the first six-weeks without being fired?

I mean, there are certainly more restrictive and controlled workplaces.

This is Bushie's first [real] job and he's been kind of mediocre when he is at work, from what we've gathered. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect someone to be at work 5 days a week every week for at least a couple of months. For God's sake, he's missed more than a WEEK of work already! What would you say if you hired someone and two weeks later they disappeared for a week?

The way you talk, you'd think he was in China working an 18 hour shift on the iPhone assembly line.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #638 on: September 27, 2014, 10:21:34 PM »

Oh, I'm not defending Bushie... at all.

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #639 on: September 27, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »

Constructive Idea #48482984:

CarMax has dealerships in both Tulsa and OKC. From my understanding, their sales associates are paid hourly rather than by commission, and since the cars have fixed non-negotiable prices, that takes a considerable amount of pressure off the salesman. At their Houston stores, they even have little golf carts to drive you to the car you want to look at, so there's not even any walking involved.

Can Jeff handle this?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #640 on: September 27, 2014, 10:44:37 PM »

CarMax has dealerships in both Tulsa and OKC. From my understanding, their sales associates are paid hourly rather than by commission, and since the cars have fixed non-negotiable prices, that takes a considerable amount of pressure off the salesman. At their Houston stores, they even have little golf carts to drive you to the car you want to look at, so there's not even any walking involved.

Can Jeff handle this?

Anything sales related is a major no.  To top it off a quick look at the site "unlimited earning potential" = Commission
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #641 on: September 27, 2014, 10:46:54 PM »

Bushie,

As far as the company in the PM, it looks reputable, but I don't think there are any jobs that are listed that suit you.  I agree with J-Mann on the initative comment. You would be better suited in a position where you have very speciic tasks that you are asked to do and do them, if you have to think outside the box as part of a job, take things on yourself, that is something you just can't do.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #642 on: September 27, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »

Can Jeff handle this?

Sales = commissions = stress... and Jeff is unable to cope with ... anything.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #643 on: September 27, 2014, 10:52:20 PM »

Constructive Idea #48438573:

Jeff should move to North Dakota and get a job at a well site. He can be a flagger - the guy who stands there with bright orange batons and directs the trucks into the jobsite. Literally anyone who does not have a positive drug test or a criminal history can get hired doing something up there.

Best case, he actually learns something and makes some decent money.

Worst case, he injures himself, which gives him a socially acceptable justification for swearing off gainful employment and spending the rest of his life on SSDI.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #644 on: September 27, 2014, 11:29:51 PM »

Any job where other people's lives are at risk are not a job I want Jeff to have. I doubt he could stay standing long enough to safety flag in an oil field anyway.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #645 on: September 28, 2014, 12:52:36 AM »

Who is more thickheaded: Bushie, or the people that have written literally hundreds of posts (some of which are very verbose) giving him advice they already know he'll never take?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #646 on: September 28, 2014, 01:02:28 AM »

Who is more thickheaded: Bushie, or the people that have written literally hundreds of posts (some of which are very verbose) giving him advice they already know he'll never take?

You know what?

You're right.
Ntwadumela
Rookie
« Reply #647 on: September 28, 2014, 01:36:48 AM »

Some of said, Hell is the impossibility of reason.  That's what this thread feels like!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #648 on: September 28, 2014, 02:25:05 AM »

So how many hours of football will you watch Sunday, Jeff?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #649 on: September 28, 2014, 06:19:21 AM »

Constructive Idea #48438573:

Jeff should move to North Dakota and get a job at a well site. He can be a flagger - the guy who stands there with bright orange batons and directs the trucks into the jobsite. Literally anyone who does not have a positive drug test or a criminal history can get hired doing something up there.

I believe you have forgotten what happens when Bushie sees snow. Anything in North Dakota could never work. I think Bushie should deliver pizzas. I've done it. It's actually pretty fun, and it's the easiest job ever. It used to require at least a basic sense of direction, but with a phone GPS, it would require no talent whatsoever. Here's your pizza. Give me your money. Have a nice day. Bushie could do that. And with tips, it pays about $12/hour, which is more than he was making as a CADD drafter.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies