Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:26:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 77
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 129482 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: September 28, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »
« edited: September 28, 2014, 10:04:59 PM by HockeyDude »

Yes, even back in my hometown of Austin, where Whole Foods was literally invented, it seems that more and more Wal-Marts are springing up, one now just a five minute drive from my house (just a ten minute drive from downtown!), wiping out entire shopping centers, and people seem to do the majority of their shopping there. My girlfriend lives in Chester County, Pennsylvania and they do their groceries at the Wal-Mart five minutes away. More and more, Wal-Marts seem to be the social and economic heart of American communities (unless you're in very densely populated urban centers of course). It wouldn't surprise me if politicians started holding campaign rallies in Wal-Mart parking lots.

Chester has fallen?!  We have a few Wal-Marts up and down Rt. 130 and towards the city in Camden and Burlington counties over on the NJ side, but it's hardly the "town center" and are more there for toys and cheap sports equipment.  I suppose it's not long until NJ is completely infested by that disease, too.  Ugh... might have to high-tail it to Hoboken sooner than I thought.  Progressive urban centers in the NJ/NY area are obviously intelligent enough to understand the destruction and despair that would befall them by dropping ol' Sam's big box store into the neighborhood. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #751 on: September 28, 2014, 09:56:11 PM »

Yup, there's a giant Wal-Mart-dominated shopping center on one side of the road, and then you drive a minute or so further and there's some sort of Amish farmer's market/restaurant on the other side.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #752 on: September 28, 2014, 10:00:37 PM »

Yup, there's a giant Wal-Mart-dominated shopping center on one side of the road, and then you drive a minute or so further and there's some sort of Amish farmer's market/restaurant on the other side.

Are any of the Chesterites good enough people to opt for the Amish place? 
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #753 on: September 28, 2014, 10:22:20 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if politicians started holding campaign rallies in Wal-Mart parking lots.

This would be great because it would inevitably cause a hilarious calamity

Walmart vigorously prohibits anything from ever happening in their parking lots except for A) parking and B) things that are specifically and explicitly approved by the store manager in advance. This strict rule lets them shoo away union stuff at the first hint of trouble and keeps potential picket lines on the far side of those giantass parking lots, except with enough vagueness that they can't claim it's specifically to target unions.

There's a 24/7 "labor relations" hotline that a store is supposed to call when anything union related happens (my computer training told me it should be called like literally any time I ever heard someone say the word "union" on the premises).

If a campaign event was happening but the shift manager forgot it had been scheduled, then saw the campaign placards from a distance and mistook them for picket signs, then it's entirely plausible State Senator whats-his-face would find his campaign event being forcibly broken up by modern-day Pinkertons
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #754 on: September 28, 2014, 10:30:52 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if politicians started holding campaign rallies in Wal-Mart parking lots.

Walmart vigorously prohibits anything from ever happening in their parking lots except for A) parking and B) things that are specifically and explicitly approved by the store manager in advance. This strict rule lets them shoo away union stuff at the first hint of trouble and keeps potential picket lines on the far side of those giantass parking lots, except with enough vagueness that they can't claim it's specifically to target unions.

There's a 24/7 "labor relations" hotline that a store is supposed to call when anything union related happens (my computer training told me it should be called like literally any time I ever heard someone say the word "union" on the premises).

If a campaign event was happening but the shift manager forgot it had been scheduled, then saw the campaign placards from a distance and mistook them for picket signs, then it's entirely plausible State Senator whats-his-face would find his campaign event being forcibly broken up by modern-day Pinkertons

I've heard of this, and it's the number one reason Wal-Mart must be forcibly destroyed.  Until then, however, I don't mind if Bushie manages one.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #755 on: September 28, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »

Jeff, Bacon King is really doling out some great advice and options, here. Don't let your pride get in the way of a really good suggestion and a willing referrer.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #756 on: September 28, 2014, 10:40:47 PM »

Yes, even back in my hometown of Austin, where Whole Foods was literally invented, it seems that more and more Wal-Marts are springing up, one now just a five minute drive from my house (just a ten minute drive from downtown!), wiping out entire shopping centers, and people seem to do the majority of their shopping there. My girlfriend lives in Chester County, Pennsylvania and they do their groceries at the Wal-Mart five minutes away. More and more, Wal-Marts seem to be the social and economic heart of American communities (unless you're in very densely populated urban centers of course). It wouldn't surprise me if politicians started holding campaign rallies in Wal-Mart parking lots.

Chester has fallen?!  We have a few Wal-Marts up and down Rt. 130 and towards the city in Camden and Burlington counties over on the NJ side, but it's hardly the "town center" and are more there for toys and cheap sports equipment.  I suppose it's not long until NJ is completely infested by that disease, too.  Ugh... might have to high-tail it to Hoboken sooner than I thought.  Progressive urban centers in the NJ/NY area are obviously intelligent enough to understand the destruction and despair that would befall them by dropping ol' Sam's big box store into the neighborhood. 

Yeah, one big difference I've seen with New Jersey and Florida is that in Florida you're never more than a fifteen minute drive from a Walmart.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #757 on: September 28, 2014, 10:48:42 PM »

Hearing this stuff makes me happy to live in a Wal-Mart blackhole. I used to make a big deal out of boycotting Wal-Mart, but that's kind of pointless now, since it's not convenient for me to shop there anyway: http://www.walmart.com/store/finder?location=55404

Note not just the lack in Minneapolis, but that area to the west of it too. That area is full of people who 1-don't shop at Wal-Mart and 2-probably consider shopping at Wal-Mart beneath them, even if Republicans. This is especially noticable in the immediate SW suburbs, most notably Edina and St. Louis Park, which have a very rich feel to them, but not in trashy giant McMansion way. Think tons of luxury apartments and expensive jewelry and fashion stores. Rich Democrat land basically, probably the people most likely to find Wal-Mart repulsive.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #758 on: September 28, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »

Hearing this stuff makes me happy to live in a Wal-Mart blackhole. I used to make a big deal out of boycotting Wal-Mart, but that's kind of pointless now, since it's not convenient for me to shop there anyway: http://www.walmart.com/store/finder?location=55404

Note not just the lack in Minneapolis, but that area to the west of it too. That area is full of people who 1-don't shop at Wal-Mart and 2-probably consider shopping at Wal-Mart beneath them, even if Republicans. This is especially noticable in the immediate SW suburbs, most notably Edina and St. Louis Park, which have a very rich feel to them, but not in trashy giant McMansion way. Think tons of luxury apartments and expensive jewelry and fashion stores. Rich Democrat land basically, probably the people most likely to find Wal-Mart repulsive.

Rich Democrats, despite being rich, tend to have many very good qualities. 

And congrats on living no where near a Wal-Mart.  I often am forced to drive by them and notice the packed parking lots out of my peripheral.  It's like watching a puppy burn to death.  Very unpleasant. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #759 on: September 28, 2014, 10:58:42 PM »

Jeff, Bacon King is really doling out some great advice and options, here. Don't let your pride get in the way of a really good suggestion and a willing referrer.

He and I are in correspondence over PM over application and such.  He is going to give me the link after he wakes up in the morning and I'll get started on the application immediately after I get home from my other job searching tomorrow midday.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #760 on: September 28, 2014, 11:01:28 PM »

He and I are in correspondence over PM over application and such.  He is going to give me the link after he wakes up in the morning and I'll get started on the application immediately after I get home from my other job searching tomorrow midday.

Ask BK how Wal-Martians would feel about your fancy-pants college degree. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #761 on: September 28, 2014, 11:03:09 PM »

We certainly did! We bought a delicious pumpkin cake, as well as an assortment of knick knacks from the thrift shop portion of the farmers market.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #762 on: September 28, 2014, 11:05:06 PM »

What would happen if I showed up and paraded around the store waving red banners and singing "The Internationale" at the top of my lungs?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #763 on: September 28, 2014, 11:06:21 PM »

Rich Democrats, despite being rich, tend to have many very good qualities. 

And congrats on living no where near a Wal-Mart.  I often am forced to drive by them and notice the packed parking lots out of my peripheral.  It's like watching a puppy burn to death.  Very unpleasant. 

Not even necessarily rich which might be why they end up look more classy than a different type of trashy, think of a DINK couple where each one makes ~$40k. Unquestionably middle class, but lots of money to throw around regardless. The real rich Democrat land is in certain parts of SW Minneapolis which is fully century-old real mansions, not gaudy McMansions.

Yeah the only one I ever see is the one in St. Paul, and that one doesn't get lots of business. The parking lot is never packed. I even heard it almost closed a couple years ago but narrowly survived, the one in St. Anthony (immediate suburb just NE of Minneapolis) didn't though.

What's even more funny about that is that's it's in a location that's commercial but mostly independent small businesses (but not the types that get killed by Wal-Mart, think bookstores and esoteric arts and crafts places), making the Wal-Mart all the more an eyesore and out of place.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #764 on: September 28, 2014, 11:06:44 PM »

We certainly did! We bought a delicious pumpkin cake, as well as an assortment of knick knacks from the thrift shop portion of the farmers market.

Well done.  No doubt the pumpkin cake was fresh and wholesome and tasty and far superior to whatever orange-dyed frankenfood Wal-Mart trots out for the fall season.  
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #765 on: September 28, 2014, 11:08:44 PM »

What would happen if I showed up and paraded around the store waving red banners and singing "The Internationale" at the top of my lungs?

A couple months ago I saw a band play in Moorhead. During the set they announced that one of their goals as a band is to play all 50 states, or at least the continuous 48 at some point. But unfortunately the show in Fargo fell through, and though they were able to reschedule on the same date here, it's technically not North Dakota. So to get ND checked off the list, they were going to meet in a Wal-Mart parking lot across the river around midnight and play a couple acoustic songs.

Unfortunately because of time constraints I couldn't make it, but I wonder what exactly happened and if anyone at Wal-Mart cared. I should ask BK what would happen if a bunch of people who look like the people who go to the same shows as me ever congregated in a Wal-Mart parking lot after midnight.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #766 on: September 28, 2014, 11:38:29 PM »

Well done.  No doubt the pumpkin cake was fresh and wholesome and tasty and far superior to whatever orange-dyed frankenfood Wal-Mart trots out for the fall season.  
Look, there are some people who are willing to prioritize cost over quality, at least to the extent that Wal-Mart food costs less/tastes worse than food from other stores (which is different for every area). No need for you to be such a snob about other people's food choices (the Update thread is not a great place to say this, but whatever).

Anyway, it's interesting that Update could significantly change the course of Bushie's life. Has this happened before?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #767 on: September 28, 2014, 11:50:56 PM »

Anyway, it's interesting that Update could significantly change the course of Bushie's life. Has this happened before?

Well, Update stopped him from taking a scam job that could have landed him in jail.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #768 on: September 28, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »

There are few Wal-Marts in Minnesota largely because that market is dominated by Target stores here.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #769 on: September 28, 2014, 11:55:34 PM »

Look, there are some people who are willing to prioritize cost over quality, at least to the extent that Wal-Mart food costs less/tastes worse than food from other stores (which is different for every area). No need for you to be such a snob about other people's food choices (the Update thread is not a great place to say this, but whatever).

First I'm a misogynist for complimenting Kate Upton's breasts and now I'm a snob because I recognize that Amish people make better pumpkin cake then Wal-Mart.  

Atlas... remove the sand.

And Update has significantly changed the course of Bushie's life many times.  Besides keeping him out of jail, it's also led to literally 10 or so days of walking more than without Update, saved Jeffison for a solid 7-8 months after "the joke", and probably got Bushie to switch to Diet Dr. Pepper.  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #770 on: September 28, 2014, 11:59:05 PM »

There are few Wal-Marts in Minnesota largely because that market is dominated by Target stores here.

Excellent.  Minnesota is very good.  And here's an article for those people who say they are the same thing. 

http://steve-olson.com/10-reasons-target-is-better-than-wal-mart/

Target is far less destructive than Wal-Mart.  If Wal-Mart is like Skynet then Target is like a printer that gets jammed a bit. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #771 on: September 29, 2014, 12:12:07 AM »

Excellent.  Minnesota is very good.  And here's an article for those people who say they are the same thing. 

http://steve-olson.com/10-reasons-target-is-better-than-wal-mart/

Target is far less destructive than Wal-Mart.  If Wal-Mart is like Skynet then Target is like a printer that gets jammed a bit. 

Walmart is certainly pretty evil. But I guess only a "true leftist" would oppose someone who served 6 years on their board.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #772 on: September 29, 2014, 12:20:41 AM »

Everyone here thinks having Bushie in a management position would be a good idea. Huh.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #773 on: September 29, 2014, 12:36:11 AM »
« Edited: September 29, 2014, 12:38:01 AM by King »

Do asst managers work sections of the store? Bushie should definitely try to work in electronics. He might be helpful there.

Target's atmosphere is definitely better than WalMart, but that's because Target is setup more like a department store while WalMart feels more like a giant grocery store.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #774 on: September 29, 2014, 06:20:37 AM »

I refuse to make minimum wage on my way to success that may or may not happen.

How much will you make this week?  And next week?  Wil you have enough for next months bills and rent without tapping your college loan money? 
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies