Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:54:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 77
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 129466 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: September 29, 2014, 04:08:11 PM »

Wonderful news! This Wal-Mart business sounds like a very good opportunity.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #801 on: September 29, 2014, 04:11:58 PM »

good job, bushie.

be honest:  did you screw up really bad at this job?  is there something you havent told us?  why was your boss hollering 'he doesnt get it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #802 on: September 29, 2014, 04:17:12 PM »

good job, bushie.

be honest:  did you screw up really bad at this job?  is there something you havent told us?  why was your boss hollering 'he doesnt get it.

I just kept making boneheaded mistakes.  Mistakes that I learned not to make a month earlier.  This wasn't as bad, but it still rolled back about 45-60 minutes of productivity.  It was easy to correct, but I still should not have made those blatant errors for the second time when I knew what I was doing.  I thought about that the entire evening on my way to my parents and then as I was laying down.  I'm sure that is playing a big part in the "talk" tomorrow.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #803 on: September 29, 2014, 04:38:52 PM »

do you think there is any chance you dont get fired?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #804 on: September 29, 2014, 04:41:27 PM »

With WalMart, Bushie also won't have the excuse that Braum's was more convenient than going all the way to the grocery store. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #805 on: September 29, 2014, 04:52:46 PM »

The fortunate thing about WalMart is they have those motorized machines that help push the line of shopping carts, so that Bushie won't have to.  All he needs to do is steer the carts while the machine pushes them for him.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #806 on: September 29, 2014, 04:57:02 PM »

I think Wal Mart is a good fit for Bushie. I hope he gets an opportunity to work there.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #807 on: September 29, 2014, 04:58:47 PM »

do you think there is any chance you dont get fired?

Slim chance.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #808 on: September 29, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »

this wal mart chat is pretty boring.  though i was delighted to learn that one is supposed to report even the mention of the word 'union.'  it really is a great company.

anyway, bushie,  *DO NOT QUIT* tomorrow.  go in and face the music.  if you get fired (which is 99% likely). so be it.  but dont quit.

Walter, you don't have to go blue... But at least give green some thought.
I remember back in the day, Walter was an R-MA. He's under some sort of delusion that there can be mass prosperity (and by mass, I don't just mean the quarter of people who are legit professionals) without unions. A true believer.

Isn't he some kind of a blue collar worker himself though?
Panda Express

« Reply #809 on: September 29, 2014, 05:05:26 PM »

Uhh, are we sure a 300 pound man with Tourettes that has never worked at Wal Mart before can just waltz right in and get a salaried assistant manager position?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #810 on: September 29, 2014, 05:10:05 PM »

Uhh, are we sure a 300 pound man with Tourettes that has never worked at Wal Mart before can just waltz right in and get a salaried assistant manager position?

I was wondering the same thing actually...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #811 on: September 29, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »

I was wondering the same thing actually...

It never hurts to apply.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #812 on: September 29, 2014, 05:20:01 PM »

Bacon King certainly thinks he can.

The Wal Mart website says an assistant manager is a trainee position with requirements only being "2 or more years of college; OR 1 year retail experience."

I don't think he's actually supervising anyone. It seems more like a fancy title for "guy who checks IDs on alcohol purchases and can be trusted to unlock the video game and cough syrup cases."
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #813 on: September 29, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »

Jeff, if you do end up in this position, please do your store's customers a favor and make sure that someone is actually at the Site-to-Store pickup counter or designate someone whose job it is to check every so often and see if someone's there.

Every time I have ever ordered something for in-store pickup, (1) there is no one at the counter, (2) the little "Touch the Screen to Alert an Associate" screen never works, (3) an endless stream of employees comes in and out of the restrooms and breakrooms right next door and no one ever asks me if I need help despite the fact that I am a non-employee standing at a counter that no employees are attending.

It's extremely irritating and it ends up taking an absurd amount of time to get what I ordered.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #814 on: September 29, 2014, 05:33:13 PM »

This is very promising Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #815 on: September 29, 2014, 06:44:01 PM »

With WalMart, Bushie also won't have the excuse that Braum's was more convenient than going all the way to the grocery store. Smiley

also Walmart (in my area at least) now has fresh organic produce, which genuinely surprised me

Jeff, if you do end up in this position, please do your store's customers a favor and make sure that someone is actually at the Site-to-Store pickup counter or designate someone whose job it is to check every so often and see if someone's there.

Every time I have ever ordered something for in-store pickup, (1) there is no one at the counter, (2) the little "Touch the Screen to Alert an Associate" screen never works, (3) an endless stream of employees comes in and out of the restrooms and breakrooms right next door and no one ever asks me if I need help despite the fact that I am a non-employee standing at a counter that no employees are attending.

It's extremely irritating and it ends up taking an absurd amount of time to get what I ordered.

protip: it's a huge waste of manpower to have someone standing around back there, outside of holiday season. in store layouts that i'm familiar with (where S2S is right next to electronics, in the back) it's usually the responsibility of an electronics associate to cover that area and they hold the Palm Pilot the "Touch on Screen" alert thing goes to. This happening to you probably means there is a technical issue, or someone lost their PalmPilot. Those employees walking past you into the back room aren't going to help you because they're probably all on their breaks or lunches so they wouldn't be able to log on to find your package or process the transaction and most would have no idea how to do the S2S stuff anyway because it's kind of complicated to process correctly. Also if you were just standing there idly waiting I would have assumed you'd already been helped and you were just waiting for someone to bring your order from the backroom

Really there are two decent options you could have gone with:

A) See that S2S is unattended and nobody seems to be coming, so approach the nearest on-the-clock employee in electronics and tell them this, and they will go do it for you immediately (or immediately have someone called over who can do it for you if they can't).

B) Vociferously complain to a member of store management about this indescretion while it was happening (or immediately afterwards) so that they can fix the problem, and also they will probably give you a $20 gift card to apologize for sh**tty customer service

next time, its your choose
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #816 on: September 29, 2014, 06:55:40 PM »

Bacon King certainly thinks he can.

The Wal Mart website says an assistant manager is a trainee position with requirements only being "2 or more years of college; OR 1 year retail experience."

I don't think he's actually supervising anyone. It seems more like a fancy title for "guy who checks IDs on alcohol purchases and can be trusted to unlock the video game and cough syrup cases."

King is basically right, AM's are essentially the policy-enforcing footsoldiers of the management team. A new assistant manager is like a fresh lieutenant in the army, nominally the superior officer but relying on his NCO's (the hourly supervisors) to actually make sure anything gets done. AM's are nominally responsible for everything that happens in their assigned section of the store, but in practice each of those areas is assigned its own Zone Manager who takes care of almost everything (Zones are the highest paid hourly position and it's essentially the proving ground for ambitious workers seeking to be internally promoted into a salary, so they work hard and kiss ass)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #817 on: September 29, 2014, 07:02:23 PM »

My impression of WalMart workers has been more that they simply don't give an Inks about your precious S2S purchase. Being in a hurry to help people has never been their strong point. But if you're already online, why not just have whatever you're buying shipped to your home? Or, conversely, if you prefer to go to the store, why bother going online? Are you buying something so supremely obscure that it's not ordinarily carried by The Largest Store on Earth?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #818 on: September 29, 2014, 07:23:35 PM »

My impression of WalMart workers has been more that they simply don't give an Inks about your precious S2S purchase. Being in a hurry to help people has never been their strong point. But if you're already online, why not just have whatever you're buying shipped to your home? Or, conversely, if you prefer to go to the store, why bother going online? Are you buying something so supremely obscure that it's not ordinarily carried by The Largest Store on Earth?

This happened on two separate occasions. On one, I was buying a new iPod for my mother for Christmas; I ordered it online because I hadn't been able to find it in store; I was buying it from Wal-Mart because I had a Wal-Mart gift card I wanted to use toward the cost; I used site-to-store because I was home for the holidays and didn't want it sent to the house in case she or someone else opened it. On another, I was buying light fixtures that they did not have in their stores and that were noticeably cheaper than comparable ones at Lowes/Home Depot and I didn't have them shipped to me because that costs money and I'm cheap/ain't nobody got time for that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #819 on: September 29, 2014, 07:24:55 PM »

I'm going to watch some football tonight and try to take care of myself.  My chest feels like it's trying to develop a cough.  I bought some Nyquil so I'll take that toward the end of the game.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #820 on: September 29, 2014, 07:26:43 PM »

The only time I saw Site 2 Store used intelligently was a customer who realized that when he ordered something that the store didn't usually carry, and cancelled the order after it was shipped to the store, that we don't really have a way of sending it back. So then we have some random thing we're not supposed to carry, messing up the inventory and taking up space, so it gets clearance'd out as quickly as possible. Several times he did this with laptops and stuff so he could come in the next day and buy it for like 50% off

also yeah if you include the website walmart literally carries everything

(ok so there's a lot of wallyworld chat in here, I am considering branching it off to a new thread)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #821 on: September 29, 2014, 08:10:32 PM »

The only time I saw Site 2 Store used intelligently was a customer who realized that when he ordered something that the store didn't usually carry, and cancelled the order after it was shipped to the store, that we don't really have a way of sending it back. So then we have some random thing we're not supposed to carry, messing up the inventory and taking up space, so it gets clearance'd out as quickly as possible. Several times he did this with laptops and stuff so he could come in the next day and buy it for like 50% off

Is that technically allowed? It's actually very clever, but seems too good to be true. What I really don't get is layaway. I understand some people have bad credit or are fearful of credit or whatever. Fine. That part makes sense. So, if you can't/won't use credit and don't have the money immediately, why not just save up for it? What is the utility in giving WalMart the money piecemeal, presumably with some sort of fee added on and only receiving the merchandise after it is paid for in full?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #822 on: September 29, 2014, 08:14:24 PM »

(ok so there's a lot of wallyworld chat in here, I am considering branching it off to a new thread)

noooo I've been really enjoying "WalMart Presents... Update!"
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #823 on: September 29, 2014, 08:32:39 PM »

I must say, the product placement this season is getting very innovative. Get the viewers talking about the sponsors.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #824 on: September 29, 2014, 09:09:52 PM »

Folks, I think I'm officially sick... I have a developing cough, headache, chills, sneezing, scratchy throat, and stomach ache.  So far no runny nose or temperature.  I just got my flu shot on Friday so that could be trying to take root or another likely scenario is my parents both had colds this past week due to the stress from the funeral and I was around them several nights.  I tried to stay away as much as I could, but it may not have been enough.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies