Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:45:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 77
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 130418 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: September 30, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »

I'm back home and the meeting went as expected, I am out of a job.  However, he did tell me not to give up on my CAD career, but try to find a larger company who might have more time to work with me and bring me up to speed.  Again, I come out of this the winner and not the loser.  It is time now to find a job as quickly as possible and to get over whatever illness I have.

That is not the correct attitude when this happens...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-kSqHMEHIA

You need to have the attitude that you need to work hard and improve, not play the I'm a winner when I get fired game
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #851 on: September 30, 2014, 10:09:03 AM »

He may have taken away my job, but he did not take away my determination.  I will reiterate, I am a good drafter.  I'm sorry he didn't see that, but it is his loss.

Sin of pride, Jeff. Sin of pride. Maybe you'll understand that language.

People are encouraging you to learn from the experience, be humble and commit to yourself to improve. You're trying to say your boss lost something ... no, he didn't. You had job duties at which you failed (and yesterday, you admitted in a firmer way than you ever had before as to "boneheaded" mistakes that kept occurring), and you had a boss that determined he could no longer afford those mistakes and the time it was costing him to invest in you.

You're not a good drafter. Not yet. If you were, you wouldn't have failed. You have the POTENTIAL to be a good drafter, but only if you put in the time and effort to do it.

Can you admit that this effort is no one's responsibility but your own? That's the real first step in having a good attitude about this turn of events.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #852 on: September 30, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »

No, J-Mann, his boss was just cranky, you see.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #853 on: September 30, 2014, 10:50:20 AM »

He may have taken away my job, but he did not take away my determination.  I will reiterate, I am a good drafter.  I'm sorry he didn't see that, but it is his loss.

Sin of pride, Jeff. Sin of pride. Maybe you'll understand that language.

People are encouraging you to learn from the experience, be humble and commit to yourself to improve. You're trying to say your boss lost something ... no, he didn't. You had job duties at which you failed (and yesterday, you admitted in a firmer way than you ever had before as to "boneheaded" mistakes that kept occurring), and you had a boss that determined he could no longer afford those mistakes and the time it was costing him to invest in you.

You're not a good drafter. Not yet. If you were, you wouldn't have failed. You have the POTENTIAL to be a good drafter, but only if you put in the time and effort to do it.

Can you admit that this effort is no one's responsibility but your own? That's the real first step in having a good attitude about this turn of events.

Yes, I screwed up, but I'm not going to act like I lost anything, either.  I may be out of a job, but you only lose if you let yourself be defeated.  I'm not heartbroken about it and I'm not angry at anybody, not my boss and not myself.  I know my abilities.  I hope to get a good CAD job very soon.  You only lose if you let yourself be defeated.  I certainly wasn't defeated this morning.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #854 on: September 30, 2014, 10:53:15 AM »

That is provably false.  If you have the abilities the employer wanted and didn't use them........that's even worse.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #855 on: September 30, 2014, 11:04:37 AM »

Anyway, my focus now is not on the firing.  That's in the past and there's nothing I could do about it.  Now, I'm full throttle into the job hunt trying to find the job that fits well with my expertise and skill set.  I've got a good skill set, I just need to put it to use and continue to develop it.  I will get another job, and it will be a good job, perhaps a better job than what I just finished with.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #856 on: September 30, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »

You don't win if you get fired after 2 months on the job. You are not a good drafter either. You can be if you put your mind to it, admit you were lazy and need to improve, and do what it takes to improve yourself, but you won't get anywhere if you continue to act as if you were blameless and continue with your prideful attitude.

Bushie is one of the most prideful persons I have come across.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #857 on: September 30, 2014, 11:08:09 AM »

Do you not see that major changes need to be made if are going to continue down the CADD path, Jeff?

You need to hit the books for hours everyday (instead of watching hours of football).

I really think you need a job that doesn't require "homework" since you'll never do it. Wal-Mart sounds like a much better fit for you.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #858 on: September 30, 2014, 11:08:49 AM »

You don't win if you get fired after 2 months on the job. You are not a good drafter either. You can be if you put your mind to it, admit you were lazy and need to improve, and do what it takes to improve yourself, but you won't get anywhere if you continue to act as if you were blameless and continue with your prideful attitude.

Perhaps I am prideful, but I believe in myself and I believe in what I can do.  I didn't win by losing my job, but I didn't lose, either.

Again, the focus is no longer on the firing, rather I am focused on doing what I can to improve on my skills and finding a job that matches those skills.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #859 on: September 30, 2014, 11:12:22 AM »

Perhaps I am prideful, but I believe in myself and I believe in what I can do.  I didn't win by losing my job, but I didn't lose, either.

Again, the focus is no longer on the firing, rather I am focused on doing what I can to improve on my skills and finding a job that matches those skills.

What are you doing to improve on your skills? Watching more football? Be honest.

You need the kind of job that you don't need to take home with you.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #860 on: September 30, 2014, 11:23:43 AM »

Pretty much everyone here is giving you terrible advice, because they're assuming that you're just an ordinary person who happens to be a bit thick and extremely lazy. As I think you know yourself, this isn't really the case, is it? All across the world, stupider people than you (Christ: lazier people than you) hold down - right now, as I type, as you read this - the sort of jobs you've been fired from. Your difficulties with the world of work are not primarily caused by character defects.

You have certain issues that need to be - if not dealt with because that would be impossible - managed. You have tourettes, you have (as you have acknowledged) learning difficulties and you almost certainly have something else (six letters, begins with an 'a' ends with an 'm'). None of this is your fault. You need help and you need to accept that there is no shame in seeking it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #861 on: September 30, 2014, 11:26:23 AM »

What are you doing to improve on your skills? Watching more football? Be honest.

Well, for today, I can tell you that I will be job searching the rest of the afternoon and then I will watch the AL Wild Card game, then spend an hour or so looking at my AutoCAD program.

The thing is I don't know exactly where to start when I "study" my AutoCAD program.  I don't have already created drawings on there, so I can't detail them the way my former employer would like, so I'll be honest, I'm at a loss of where to start.  I can look at it for a couple hours or all day, but I'm not sure how much progress I would actually make.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #862 on: September 30, 2014, 11:37:58 AM »

Well, for today, I can tell you that I will be job searching the rest of the afternoon and then I will watch the AL Wild Card game, then spend an hour or so looking at my AutoCAD program.

The thing is I don't know exactly where to start when I "study" my AutoCAD program.  I don't have already created drawings on there, so I can't detail them the way my former employer would like, so I'll be honest, I'm at a loss of where to start.  I can look at it for a couple hours or all day, but I'm not sure how much progress I would actually make.

"Don't know where to start ..." -- rubbish. Google it. Lynda.com has some really excellent tutorials that range from absolute basics to expert-level stuff. Other sites do too.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #863 on: September 30, 2014, 11:47:50 AM »

The baseball game will end at about 11 pm CT. You won't do AutoCAD tonight. You'll fall asleep.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #864 on: September 30, 2014, 12:17:05 PM »

1. Bushie, by what metric do you claim to be a good drafter?
2. Update fans, by what metric does Bushie have a lot of potential?
I'm seeing zero evidence for either of these claims. I don't want to get into the realm of personal attacks or even specific mental health diagnoses, but neither of these suggestions is a reasonable statement. He's not going to change into something that he's not and it's unfortunate that people keep telling him he can do things that he obviously can't and, at this point, it's just as sad that he doesn't know himself well enough to know the truth. Bushie, set a reasonable goal for yourself. There's no shame in stocking shelves or delivering pizzas.  Indeed, it's far better than whatever the Inks you've been doing the last 10 years.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #865 on: September 30, 2014, 12:37:01 PM »

I always try to see the potential in everyone. I don't think Jeff is a dumb by any means, but I do think he's unmotivated, lazy and very prideful. He doesn't have any humility and is unable to make self assessments.

Because of these flaws, he is unable to hold a job and unable to support himself. He looks at most jobs as beneath him even though his resume is in shambles, even though he has a useless degree from a pretty poor university, and even though he did poorly in CADD class which was designed for high schoolers. He was also fired after 2 months at his first CADD job because he was performing poorly. I don't understand why he feels like he is entitled to a good job when nothing he has done suggests he deserves it.

He's the most helpless 33 year old man I have ever come across in my life, and he lives like a 12 year old boy and has the health and mindset of a 75 year old man. It's a strange combination.

Also, it's pretty funny his boss told him he needed to work at a larger company where they'd take time to bring him up to speed. Isn't that the opposite of what would happen? I'd think he'd be even more expendable at a larger company if he wasn't getting his work right.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #866 on: September 30, 2014, 01:07:51 PM »

I agree with Duke. By doing a few basic things (in many areas of his life, from employment to nutrition to relationships), Jeff could be more successful. But Duke nailed it -- there's a relentless and completely undeserved prideful attitude that Jeff displays that results in physical laziness and intellectual indifference.

He knew what he was doing wrong on the job. He went home and watched hours upon hours of football anyway.

He knows he's horribly obese and that some basic steps, such as eating at home and buying slightly healthier options could save him time and money. He puts off making any substantive change and will someday wonder why he's dying of a heart attack.

He's aware that rushing relationships always leads to heartbreak, yet he's been engaged or set-to-be-engaged to ... what? ... four women? All within a time frame of weeks.

He sees what's wrong in his life and not only knows what steps, however small, could be taken to affect change; he also possesses the abilities to make that change happen. Yet he turns things over to an invisible deity and tells himself that there's nothing he can do.

That intellectual indifference leads Jeff to seek the path of absolute least resistance. It's easier to clock in and clock out and never improve your skill set, even if it means constant employment turnover. It's easier to stay on mommy and daddy's dole rather than get a job that might not have the same titular luster and polish that he believes he deserves. It's easier to continue eating the worst foods imaginable, and it's easier to fall fast and hard for any old hunk of adipose tissue rather than spend time searching for and then getting to know the right person.

And it's easier to talk about a dream rather than to make that dream a reality.

As for why I continue to put time and effort into sometimes encouraging, sometimes coaching and sometimes scolding?

Because I believe Jeff has the tools available to him to truly live a better life; his main hurdle is himself and this relentless mental block that tells him to only speak about change and never live it; to subsist off of intentions and not actions; to pridefully boast for years about what he will be but has never become.

Jeff's mind is a prison, and I'm trying to break him out of it by realizing that he actually has to do rather than say.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #867 on: September 30, 2014, 01:13:41 PM »

I always try to see the potential in everyone. I don't think Jeff is a dumb by any means, but I do think he's unmotivated, lazy and very prideful. He doesn't have any humility and is unable to make self assessments.

Because of these flaws, he is unable to hold a job and unable to support himself. He looks at most jobs as beneath him even though his resume is in shambles, even though he has a useless degree from a pretty poor university, and even though he did poorly in CADD class which was designed for high schoolers. He was also fired after 2 months at his first CADD job because he was performing poorly. I don't understand why he feels like he is entitled to a good job when nothing he has done suggests he deserves it.

If I can play armchair psychologist for a moment, the key problem is that Bushie seems to be functionally incapable of admitting his shortcomings to himself. He becomes extremely avoidant at the slightest hint that his behaviors might need to change, and immerses himself in escapist pleasures (e.g. watching football for twelve hours) to keep himself in ignorance.

edit- JMann beat me to it, saying basically the same thing except far better than I could
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #868 on: September 30, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »

If I can play armchair psychologist for a moment, the key problem is that Bushie seems to be functionally incapable of admitting his shortcomings to himself. He becomes extremely avoidant at the slightest hint that his behaviors might need to change, and immerses himself in escapist pleasures (e.g. watching football for twelve hours) to keep himself in ignorance.

edit- JMann beat me to it, saying basically the same thing except far better than I could

Yes, he never admits fault and if one of us dares to say he could do something differently, he gets extremely defensive and rebuts in a childish manner (ex: that is a FACT; NO ONE CAN SAY OTHERWISE, etc).
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #869 on: September 30, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »

Duke's post reminded me of when a call center customer had to tell Bushie to calm down. Good times! The other thing about Bushie is that he seems to think he only needs a small change here or there to fix his problems, when, in reality, he would need to make massive changes, whether it's his diet, his work situation, whatever. He's not close with a few little problems. His life is a fullscale disaster, and he refuses to recognize it.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #870 on: September 30, 2014, 02:48:13 PM »

This is a man who believes he can't do anything positive for himself without help from a sky spook so...
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #871 on: September 30, 2014, 02:55:46 PM »

This is a man who believes he can't do anything positive for himself without help from a sky spook so...

His religion is one of the most damning thing about his motivations. He believes he's getting an afterlife so he sees no incentive to change his habits to lengthen and better his life. He's admitted that he doesn't fear an early death.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #872 on: September 30, 2014, 03:00:51 PM »

there is about  05 chance bushie ever studies cad(d) at home.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #873 on: September 30, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »

Hi, guys, I am just going to let you believe whatever you want about me.  I'll be over here living life and doing what I need to do to make the necessary changes to get a good career established.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #874 on: September 30, 2014, 03:25:46 PM »

Dear Bushie,

I understand you're struggling to comprehend a written word, so maybe a nice picture will help you understand our continuing concerns:

Thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies