Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:11:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 77
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 129449 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: September 30, 2014, 10:42:56 PM »

I'm going to be pretty upset if Bushie doesn't have lunch with J-Mann.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #926 on: September 30, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »

I'm going to be pretty upset if Bushie doesn't have lunch with J-Mann.

Yea... Job misadventures aside, if I get the impression Bushie stands J-Mann up because Mom and Dad say no I might have to have a King-esque meltdown.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #927 on: September 30, 2014, 10:56:17 PM »

The real tragedy here is that Bushie wasn't born in similar circumstances in Saudi Arabia, because he could have easily landed a nice gig in the Saudi government with awesome conditions and insanely good job security - where you're paid to do nothing all day, surf the internet, play games online, go to prayer during working hours, take a nap at noon, leave the office at 2-3pm to head home and ingest piles of sh**t (given that Saudis mostly eat the same sh**t as Bushie does, and KSA has the same chains as in Oklahoma...) and do whatever mundane daily activities for the rest of the day. Besides, KSA has free healthcare, no taxes, cheap gas and apparently even subsidized (if not free) cars and housing for public servants. There's certainly little incentive to actually work if your job is a push-paper redundancy in the government there, so there'd obviously be no risk of getting canned within a month.
Pork tenderloin and bacon cheeseburgers in Saudi Arabia? Really???
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #928 on: September 30, 2014, 10:58:27 PM »

I wish Bushie would meet with J-Mann, but I know he won't. He'll be too busy playing on his tablet while his family sits around the TV.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #929 on: September 30, 2014, 11:06:08 PM »

I wish Bushie would meet with J-Mann, but I know he won't. He'll be too busy playing on his tablet while his family sits around the TV.

I'll definitely take laziness over;

"Mom, Dad, I'm going to leave a bit early to meet with a friend for dinner in Kansas City"

"Oh you most certainly will be doing no such thing, young man!  Sit down and talk to your grandmother about bridge club!"

"Yes, sir." 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #930 on: September 30, 2014, 11:06:39 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFozbmEH_kc
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #931 on: September 30, 2014, 11:09:26 PM »

"Mom, Dad, I'm going to leave a bit early to meet with a friend for dinner in Kansas City"

"Oh you most certainly will be doing no such thing, young man!  Sit down and talk to your grandmother about bridge club!"

"Yes, sir." 

Guys you have to remember that Bushie isn't even allowed to use the stove at home to boil himself pasta. This exchange wouldn't surprise me.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #932 on: September 30, 2014, 11:11:32 PM »

"Yes, sir." 

Guys you have to remember that Bushie isn't even allowed to use the stove at home to boil himself pasta. This exchange wouldn't surprise me.

Look at my post above.  I'm preparing to go nuclear because I can see it happening. 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #933 on: September 30, 2014, 11:13:42 PM »

"Yes, sir." 

"Jeff, what's this I hear about you talking to strangers on the Interweb? Your father and I are very upset with you. Go sit in the train room and we'll come in to discuss this in a little while!"
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #934 on: September 30, 2014, 11:20:07 PM »

"Oh you most certainly will be doing no such thing, young man!  Sit down and talk to your grandmother about bridge club!"

"Yes, sir."  

"Jeff, what's this I hear about you talking to strangers on the Interweb? Your father and I are very upset with you. Go sit in the train room and we'll come in to discuss this in a little while!"

"Guys, Dad is hot under the collar about Update.  We are meeting at Braum's at 1700 to discuss our game plan going forward."
Ntwadumela
Rookie
« Reply #935 on: September 30, 2014, 11:41:14 PM »

The thing is I don't know exactly where to start when I "study" my AutoCAD program.  I don't have already created drawings on there, so I can't detail them the way my former employer would like, so I'll be honest, I'm at a loss of where to start.  I can look at it for a couple hours or all day, but I'm not sure how much progress I would actually make.

And you're trying to fool yourself into think you came out a winner?

You're not a winner unless YOU...PLAY...TO...WIN...THE...GAME!!! 

But, you're not playing to win, rather you're playing to just skate by, which makes you a loser and is why you always lose.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #936 on: October 01, 2014, 12:31:20 AM »

Speaking of playing the game: Are you excited for the return of Monopoly at McDonalds, Bushie?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #937 on: October 01, 2014, 12:33:51 AM »

"Yes, sir." 

Hopefully he'll have enough time to get some sidejackin' in!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #938 on: October 01, 2014, 06:45:11 AM »

I think the more important question is...

How do you have SEVERAL family dinners over the course of one weekend?  

Granny will once again host the moochers.  Why doesn't Mama ever cook?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #939 on: October 01, 2014, 08:21:53 AM »

Fellas, you know the exchange will go nothing like that.  I'm not sure I want to do it as the purpose of the trip is spending time with my aunt and uncle.  Maybe one of these days I'll drive up there and share a meal with him.  I'm close enough to KC being in Tulsa that if I get time I can drive up there.

As far as the cooking, Mom and my Aunt both help Grandma, so really, it's a 3-person effort.  Either my uncle or I helps by putting the ice in the glasses and pouring the tea.  If there's any carving to do (like the turkey at Thanksgiving), Dad always does that with the electric knife.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #940 on: October 01, 2014, 08:25:05 AM »

Jeff, I am sorry the job didn't work out for the long term. It must have been tough to go in on Tuesday and have that talk knowing that you would be getting bad news and I respect that you went through with it.

I am sure there is more to learn with CADD, but I believe you did learn from these two months. And while I don't know you personally, I disagree with some here in that I feel this is a field you could do well in if (here's where I agree with others) you get more practice and more studying.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #941 on: October 01, 2014, 08:39:05 AM »

Whatever happened to Mercy and Phelix?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #942 on: October 01, 2014, 08:55:07 AM »

I think I will do my Update Studies thesis on the underlying thematic subtext illustrated here. This archetypical representation of the modern Southern man is effectively reduced to uselessness by a society that maintains strict adherence to traditional gender roles in the face of globalizing economic forces that remove the traditional opportunities that men once used to provide for their families. It is a helplessness so severe that two men must compete even for the role of placing ice into cups, which seemingly allows a marginal, ceremonial sort of relevance. Truly in such times there is no surprise that man can find solance nowhere but God.

As far as the cooking, Mom and my Aunt both help Grandma, so really, it's a 3-person effort.  Either my uncle or I helps by putting the ice in the glasses and pouring the tea.  If there's any carving to do (like the turkey at Thanksgiving), Dad always does that with the electric knife.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #943 on: October 01, 2014, 09:01:26 AM »

J-Mann seems to have made coaching Bushie into a personal challenge. It's an epic battle of wills now between him and Bushie's laziness. It's like the Super Bowl!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #944 on: October 01, 2014, 09:21:25 AM »

I can put ice in glasses after recalling the steps.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #945 on: October 01, 2014, 09:35:02 AM »

Fellas, you know the exchange will go nothing like that.  I'm not sure I want to do it as the purpose of the trip is spending time with my aunt and uncle.  Maybe one of these days I'll drive up there and share a meal with him.  I'm close enough to KC being in Tulsa that if I get time I can drive up there.

I don't mean to criticize you for yet another thing, but let me take a look at your reasoning:

- You'll be coming to Kansas City for, what you previously described, a weekend; let's just say it's a full, human-style day of 16 waking hours that you're here. I don't know what activities they may have planned, so I'm speaking somewhat out of turn, but based on many previous descriptions of family get-togethers, the activity is mostly sedentary ... a couple of dinners, maybe a few hours of talking, and ... what else is there?

- You wouldn't -- and shouldn't -- ever drive from Tulsa to Kansas City solely to see a member of an internet forum. That's a four-hour drive one way and represents the total illogical thinking that you display when it comes to spending idle time in vehicles. You should maximize your time while you are in Kansas City rather than plan a return trip.

- You saying "If I get time I can drive up there" did make me laugh out loud. Literally. So, thanks for that. If it was a joke, bravo. If it was a serious comment ... ugh.

- I'd take a couple of hours of your time at most (or less or more, depending on you) -- we can get lunch, we can chat, and you can go back to your uncle's. If there's any thought whatsoever to simply sit idly while at his house, you'd be better served by taking me up on my offer.

- You are turning down a free meal (although, to be fair, all of them at your uncle's house would be free, as well).

Memphis is probably right -- I've put enough time and effort into you that I think it'd be a lost investment to walk away now. So pick your restaurant now.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #946 on: October 01, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »

While I applaud J-Mann for his persistence, I think he may be going about things the wrong way. Bushie's polite rejections are exactly the way things are done in my part of the world, and I presume, Oklahoma also. It's not really allowed to say "No, I don't want to see you", so people make all sorts of feigned excuses for avoiding social invitations. I'm not feeling well is, of course, the gold standard, but one cannot know such things about a trip that is still in the future, so Bushie must think of another polite obstacle. The family would never permit such things. We'll be much too busy. But, really, I would like it ever so much and we absolutely must do it another time. Maybe all this seems strange to frank Midwesterners, who can pull off being both sincere and polite. It's a feat Baptists cannot possibly manage. They must choose one or the other and Mother always teaches to go for the latter whenever possible.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #947 on: October 01, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »

Bushie's entire life is a polite obstacle course.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #948 on: October 01, 2014, 10:09:51 AM »

Bushie obviously doesn't want J-Mann to see him in person, because his true appearance would reveal some deep dark secret that isn't obvious when he hides behind internet anonymity.

Perhaps Bushie is actually a woman.  Or a 50 year old chain-smoking dwarf.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #949 on: October 01, 2014, 11:02:29 AM »

Arranging to meet JMann would require some sort of explanations to Mama Bushie. This is a woman who won't allow him to use the stove. Can you imagine her reaction if he told her he wanted to meet some strange man from the internet for a lunch. It would all be too much, she would obviously NOT give permission. I can't really fault Bushie here. Who wants to start a hassle with The Boss?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies