Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:42:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 77
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 130205 times)
J-Mann
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: October 08, 2014, 10:44:19 PM »

J-Mann, I am beginning to question your judgement here.

How hard does a person have to break to satisfy you? Profuse apologies in public? An eating disorder? Suicide?

All I'm saying is that his admission of how serious his problems are is a first step toward reality, and if someone's problems weigh on them to the point of emotional breakdown, stepping away to get a clearer head can help.

Jeff's financial and social situations are so dire that, as of this morning, he couldn't even do that. Since that time, he's won a trip to Albuquerque, which he'll probably enjoy much more than a spa trip, anyway.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1501 on: October 08, 2014, 10:50:49 PM »

JMann, if Bushie movies to Kansas City, could you invent a job for him at your workplace $10/hr in something he won't possibly screw up?

Couldn't do that, I'm afraid. Our core values alone would disqualify Jeff from employment there based on my personal knowledge of his history.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1502 on: October 08, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2014, 11:11:06 PM by Governor Varavour »

J-Mann, I am beginning to question your judgement here.

How hard does a person have to break to satisfy you? Profuse apologies in public? An eating disorder? Suicide?

All I'm saying is that his admission of how serious his problems are is a first step toward reality, and if someone's problems weigh on them to the point of emotional breakdown, stepping away to get a clearer head can help.

Jeff's financial and social situations are so dire that, as of this morning, he couldn't even do that. Since that time, he's won a trip to Albuquerque, which he'll probably enjoy much more than a spa trip, anyway.

He has not admitted anything. He instead acts as if he knows everything and we are the dumb people here, that he, a complete and utter failure, is a "smart cookie". He goes back and forth at times, but it's not anything real. He's as self-secure about being his slobbish, lazy, vain, deceitful, dishonest self. I mean look at these recent selections. This isn't a man "breaking", sure he's putting on a little show but after his bible study, a football game or six, a "brief relaxation" with the help of a parentally-paid adult television subscription (he says he's canceled it?... whatever. ), he'll be back telling us as to how WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS GOING THROUGH and that HE BELIEVES IN HIMSELF AND THAT IS ENOUGH and WE SHOULD NEVER QUESTION HIS FAITH! NEVER! I mean just look at it:

I would love a bank teller position.  I have thought about that several times, but get discouraged by the cash-handling experience and the very low pay.

And he deserves a higher pay because....?

I'm usually pretty careful about weeding out the scams on those sites.

HA! NO YOU'RE NOT!

In my job searches, I will definitely be looking for places you suggest.  Now, don't be surprised or upset if I take a customer service job in the mean time just to get some money coming in, but be assured I will keep seeking a better job that will better suit my skill set.

You have no skill set, nor will a customer service job get you any money because you're going to be fired in a month! Why do I say this? Because it's literally happened a dozen times or so!

Here is why I rarely listen to the forum.  Most of the forum thinks I can't do anything, or can't do anything significant.  Friends don't think their friends can't do anything.  That's where most of the forum utterly fail.  They never give me a chance and try to discourage me from EVERY friggin job I come across.  Shut up, will ya.

We think that because as far as we know it is true- you cannot do anything! You either can't, or some part of you makes you decide that you shouldn't be doing it- i.e. Oklahoma NG, that job a few months ago where they were paying you to sit around. It certainly hasn't been proven false!

King, I don't have to convince myself.  I'm a pretty smart cookie and I'm positive I can do this.  If I fail, I fail, but if I succeed that's all the better.

No, you are not by any standard a "smart cookie", or a smart anything. You cannot do this.

500 hours I won't gain, I will agree.  It doesn't mean I can't pass the tests.

You do not have 500 hours of experience and therefore cannot do it, not to mention you're you on top of that. You haven't a clue what this is. You can't do it. I'm sorry-no, I'm not ever sorry when you are concerned- but your "genius" will not allow you to skip four months worth of experience unlike us mere mortals who can't.... arrrgh!

He needs to be hit with sticks, and you can take that as literally or as metaphorically as you so choose, but he should have forfeit any reasonable person's sympathy or desire to help him do anything, long, long before now. I doubt I'd want to employ him even if he paid me. The level of arrogance, of disdain for those "minimum wage workers" he is so much better than because Huh, the constant telling us off...

The man is... argh, I give up, I made this damn post over two years ago, and I'm not doing it again! Nothing has changed. I have to stop because I'm going to take it out on my computer otherwise and attempt to throttle it to death.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1503 on: October 08, 2014, 11:51:58 PM »

FYI I was pretty sure the A+ thing was a false alarm anyway. The company would've likely got at least one applicant who was already certified, or at least someone who had the recommended 500 hours down, and even if they were going to go out on a limb on a hire, it wouldn't be someone with Bushie's history. What's mind boggling is that he thought it was a good idea in the first place. That's the thing that has convinced me as well Bushie needs to see a psychiatrist, and completely ignore all the armchair diagnoses of various Atlas posters.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1504 on: October 09, 2014, 01:06:14 AM »

Sorry to hear that. Care to elaborate?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1505 on: October 09, 2014, 01:14:47 AM »

By the way, have you followed the Update survivor game at all, Jeff?

You should vote in the final round. It's down to Papa Bushie and JJ (aka Blondie)!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1506 on: October 09, 2014, 06:24:08 AM »

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1507 on: October 09, 2014, 10:18:03 AM »

Jeff, honest question: How can you honestly think you do not need to see a mental health professional, keeping in mind the fact that most people over the age of 12 (give or take a couple years) don't have any "cat scratch-like episodes" and you've had 3 as a 30+-year-old man?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1508 on: October 09, 2014, 10:28:57 AM »

It's not that unusual for people to suddenly break down like that, particularly if they have a lot of sh!t in their lives. It's just that normally they don't talk about it to complete strangers over the internet.

Would suggest that it would be better for everyone if this particular line of pestering (i.e. 'cat scratch episode') is dropped.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1509 on: October 09, 2014, 10:35:29 AM »

No, I don't think it's at all normal for those episodes to repeatedly happen. And now that he's acknowledged this latest one, perhaps with some guidance, he'll actually seek the attention he needs.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1510 on: October 09, 2014, 10:45:24 AM »

It's just that normally they don't talk about it to complete strangers over the internet.

Have you seen Tumblr?

The uniqueness here is that it's all coherently organized in a series of threads.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1511 on: October 09, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »

No, I don't think it's at all normal for those episodes to repeatedly happen. And now that he's acknowledged this latest one, perhaps with some guidance, he'll actually seek the attention he needs.

So, crying as a man indicates a need of professional mental attention?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1512 on: October 09, 2014, 11:01:38 AM »

It's more common than you'd think. I had a technician in the field freaking out this morning, and it was due to a lot more than basic on-the-job issues. He's likely got a lot more piled on him (some of which I know about, some of which I likely don't) that's aggravating his mental state.

People handle pressure differently, but his cat-scratch breakdowns are probably equivalent to other people getting pissed off and shutting down, or lashing out, or going on a three-day bender. I'll call BS on anyone who says they haven't, at some point in their life, felt overwhelmed by their situation and acted in a way that wasn't typically "them."

And while I don't agree with you on the abnormality of such breakdowns, I think we'd both agree that something should happen to mitigate them in the future. Episodes like that repeatedly happen if their root causes are not addressed.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1513 on: October 09, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »

Mine, as stated before, was just a result of things piling on me one after the other.  I reached my breaking point.  It's a sign of strength for a man to cry and say "I can't do it alone", not a sign that a mental health expert needs to be called in.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1514 on: October 09, 2014, 11:06:28 AM »

No, but you do have wild mood swings. You're either elated and superconfident or at bottom. I've never seen you express you had just a middle of the road day where you neither felt blessed to be alive nor crappy about anything.

The best example of this is the day you had negative performance review you were down in the dumps and the next day you said the whole world had made complete 180 and your boss loved you.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1515 on: October 09, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »

Mine, as stated before, was just a result of things piling on me one after the other.  I reached my breaking point.  It's a sign of strength for a man to cry and say "I can't do it alone", not a sign that a mental health expert needs to be called in.

For just crying?  No, there's no need to call one in for that.  For a completely sef-destructive lifestyle that will kill you before you're 40, yes, there's a need.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1516 on: October 09, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »

No, but you do have wild mood swings. You're either elated and superconfident or at bottom. I've never seen you express you had just a middle of the road day where you neither felt blessed to be alive nor crappy about anything.

The best example of this is the day you had negative performance review you were down in the dumps and the next day you said the whole world had made complete 180 and your boss loved you.

I do have mild mood swings, I will admit, but I am usually a very positive person, so it's not uncommon for me to be on top of the world even in the midst of bad circumstances, but when I get down, I do get down, but it's only like a quick reality check.  I will admit sometimes my eternal optimism gets me in trouble, but I've had many people say they admire that trait in me.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1517 on: October 09, 2014, 11:14:10 AM »

It's a sign of strength for a man to cry and say "I can't do it alone", not a sign that a mental health expert needs to be called in.

But what good is saying "I can't do it alone" if you essentially decide to do it alone by rejecting help?

Reaching a breaking point is not normal. Well, it is normal in that it's common, but it doesn't have to be normal. If you had a therapist to release a little tension couple of weeks, you would never reach a breaking point.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1518 on: October 09, 2014, 11:16:38 AM »

I will admit sometimes my eternal optimism gets me in trouble, but I've had many people say they admire that trait in me.

You are very chipper in person.  It's quite annoying.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1519 on: October 09, 2014, 11:16:57 AM »

Is that what I said?  Come on, Jeff... if you're going to claim that you have good critical thinking skills, you have to stop twisting people's words; that doesn't show that you actually understand what we're saying.

There's nothing wrong with crying as a man; however, you have a history of having breakdowns that are much more than crying.  To break down over a cat scratching you is not typically normal, and to have these breakdowns every few months isn't normal either.  It's certainly not normal or healthy to have an episode where you go in your car and scream to the point of nearly passing out; most people don't let their emotions get to that point... it's pretty clear you have some problem not letting your emotions build up.  And it's not normal for a person to go from super-optimistic and carefree to crying and cursing in his car back to super-optimistic and carefree in the span of a few hours.

If you had one of these episodes in the workplace, it'd probably raise eyebrows from coworkers and your employer.  Why not get a handle on it?  I really don't understand your complete refusal to see a mental health professional.  Why not think of it as a checkup?  You go to the doctor to get physicals; why not just see a mental health professional to make sure everything's ok?  You can't say the time is an issue; you have all the time in the world.  And you can't say money is an issue, because my offer to pay for the visit still stands.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1520 on: October 09, 2014, 11:19:44 AM »

It's more common than you'd think. I had a technician in the field freaking out this morning, and it was due to a lot more than basic on-the-job issues. He's likely got a lot more piled on him (some of which I know about, some of which I likely don't) that's aggravating his mental state.

People handle pressure differently, but his cat-scratch breakdowns are probably equivalent to other people getting pissed off and shutting down, or lashing out, or going on a three-day bender. I'll call BS on anyone who says they haven't, at some point in their life, felt overwhelmed by their situation and acted in a way that wasn't typically "them."

And while I don't agree with you on the abnormality of such breakdowns, I think we'd both agree that something should happen to mitigate them in the future. Episodes like that repeatedly happen if their root causes are not addressed.

I'm not saying it's not uncommon; but that does not mean that it is normal or healthy.  I too have seen coworkers who've had breakdowns (a guy who broke his hand punching a wall and a guy who broke a couple hundred dishes by throwing them on the floor and at his boss, along with various employees who've just simply broke down and cried over various personal issues).  But this is more than "at some point" in Jeff's life.  It's happened multiple times in under a year; it's the frequency and severity of the episodes that's most concerning to me, not merely the fact that he's cried.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1521 on: October 09, 2014, 11:22:27 AM »

For just crying?  No, there's no need to call one in for that.  For a completely sef-destructive lifestyle that will kill you before you're 40, yes, there's a need.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1522 on: October 09, 2014, 11:23:17 AM »

I'm not saying it's not uncommon; but that does not mean that it is normal or healthy.  I too have seen coworkers who've had breakdowns (a guy who broke his hand punching a wall and a guy who broke a couple hundred dishes by throwing them on the floor and at his boss, along with various employees who've just simply broke down and cried over various personal issues).  But this is more than "at some point" in Jeff's life.  It's happened multiple times in under a year; it's the frequency and severity of the episodes that's most concerning to me, not merely the fact that he's cried.

No disagreement there. How someone deals with inevitable pressure and how they make changes in their lives to handle said pressure better in the future is what separates "dealing with normal stress" and "needing guidance to fix major problems."
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1523 on: October 09, 2014, 11:24:36 AM »

Inks is being an asshole (no surprise). Bushie just lost his uncle, who was clearly very important to him, and lost a job that he was clearly very invested in. There's nothing wrong with breaking down emotionally in Bushie's situation.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1524 on: October 09, 2014, 11:32:31 AM »

Is that what I said?  Come on, Jeff... if you're going to claim that you have good critical thinking skills, you have to stop twisting people's words; that doesn't show that you actually understand what we're saying.

There's nothing wrong with crying as a man; however, you have a history of having breakdowns that are much more than crying.  To break down over a cat scratching you is not typically normal, and to have these breakdowns every few months isn't normal either.  It's certainly not normal or healthy to have an episode where you go in your car and scream to the point of nearly passing out; most people don't let their emotions get to that point... it's pretty clear you have some problem not letting your emotions build up.  And it's not normal for a person to go from super-optimistic and carefree to crying and cursing in his car back to super-optimistic and carefree in the span of a few hours.

If you had one of these episodes in the workplace, it'd probably raise eyebrows from coworkers and your employer.  Why not get a handle on it?  I really don't understand your complete refusal to see a mental health professional.  Why not think of it as a checkup?  You go to the doctor to get physicals; why not just see a mental health professional to make sure everything's ok?  You can't say the time is an issue; you have all the time in the world.  And you can't say money is an issue, because my offer to pay for the visit still stands.

Whoa! Calm down, friend.  I was just trying to clarify what you said.  I wasn't jumping to conclusions.

When you understand the things that have happened in my life over the past few weeks, you'd probably break down, too.  This is completely different than crying because a cat scratched my ear (that is weird, I will admit).  Crying when things difficult things just pile on isn't abnormal or mental health necessary.  I was back to normal within 24 hours.  I was still trying to get over the 10-day old cold that has turned so with my body being worn out it was probably more susceptible to an emotional breakdown than had I not been sick.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies