Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:00:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 77
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 130408 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: October 09, 2014, 09:42:29 PM »

As I've stated numerous times, I don't at all understand what sort of magic you people seem to think a psychiatrist would do with Bushie. As it happens, I see one every three months. They're not miracle workers, and, for the most part, they're not talk therapists either. Like most doctors, they see patients for 5-10 minutes unless there is an extreme and urgent emergency. Mostly, they dabble in pharmaceuticals, making best guesses with brain chemistry. As the brain is still largely a mystery and everybody's brain is different, drug therapy involves a lot of trial and error, attempting to find drugs and dosages that best suit people's needs.

It sounds like you should find a new one.

I don't mean that as a sort of shot but I do know firsthand that there are those psychiatrists out there who tend to view these appointments as routine, quick visits that seem to merely be drug transactions. Despite that, I also know that there are a good degree of them who take their time with their patients (30 to an hour as Duke pointed out, once a week usually) with a lesser degree of emphasis on pharmaceuticals. I think seeing one once every three months is a terrible idea unless the patient's sole purpose for being there is to get medication. Like most things, it all depends on who you see and what you're looking for.

Alternately, "-ologists" are a good place to go for similar treatment without worrying about being pumped full of meds.
I see her to get Adderall, which is exactly what I want. I'm not much for the chit chat. I'm not much into all the feelings vibe, and my life, while not perfect, isn't an Update style clusterInks. I don't claim to be an expert on the issue, but I've never heard of a psychiatrist do all that much talk therapy. No offense to those who do, but seeing a doctor (and remember a psychiatrist is just that, an MD) once a week is serious overkill.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #1576 on: October 09, 2014, 09:57:49 PM »

I'm pretty sure this is a difference between the US and other western countries. In most other countries, psychiatrists are standardly trained in psychotherapy, and if you're receiving both drugs and talk therapy, they're likely from the same person. This is what I assume Gully is thinking of. In the US these roles tend to be split between a psychiatrist and some sort of counselor or clinical social worker, though Paul Kemp's and Duke's posts suggest this is not universal across regions/insurance models.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1577 on: October 09, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »

As I've stated numerous times, I don't at all understand what sort of magic you people seem to think a psychiatrist would do with Bushie. As it happens, I see one every three months. They're not miracle workers, and, for the most part, they're not talk therapists either. Like most doctors, they see patients for 5-10 minutes unless there is an extreme and urgent emergency. Mostly, they dabble in pharmaceuticals, making best guesses with brain chemistry. As the brain is still largely a mystery and everybody's brain is different, drug therapy involves a lot of trial and error, attempting to find drugs and dosages that best suit people's needs.

It sounds like you should find a new one.

I don't mean that as a sort of shot but I do know firsthand that there are those psychiatrists out there who tend to view these appointments as routine, quick visits that seem to merely be drug transactions. Despite that, I also know that there are a good degree of them who take their time with their patients (30 to an hour as Duke pointed out, once a week usually) with a lesser degree of emphasis on pharmaceuticals. I think seeing one once every three months is a terrible idea unless the patient's sole purpose for being there is to get medication. Like most things, it all depends on who you see and what you're looking for.

Alternately, "-ologists" are a good place to go for similar treatment without worrying about being pumped full of meds.
I see her to get Adderall, which is exactly what I want. I'm not much for the chit chat. I'm not much into all the feelings vibe, and my life, while not perfect, isn't an Update style clusterInks. I don't claim to be an expert on the issue, but I've never heard of a psychiatrist do all that much talk therapy. No offense to those who do, but seeing a doctor (and remember a psychiatrist is just that, an MD) once a week is serious overkill.

Well yes, if you're just in it to get drugs, then you don't need to sit down and talk to someone. Others actually do need it to talk to people. A psychologist would be good for Bushie, I think. I hope he actually goes through with it!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1578 on: October 10, 2014, 09:14:26 AM »

I'll be completely honest with my pastor.  I am honest on Facebook, and that's what I'll tell him and more.
Jeff, if you were honest on Facebook, you wouldn't have deleted Andrew and I. 

Why were you his friend on Facebook in the first place, though? Do you feel you two are friends?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1579 on: October 10, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »

You can add me to the deleted from Bushie's facialbook list. As to Brit's question, Bushie and I are as good of "friends" as half the people on my fb feed. I know more about him and hear more from him than at least 90% of people. I'm friends with a few other Atlas people on facebook as well.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1580 on: October 10, 2014, 11:54:48 AM »

I'm home from the interview.  I feel pretty good about it, but that's not saying much.  I should find out by Tuesday.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1581 on: October 10, 2014, 11:55:10 AM »

I'm home from the interview.  I feel pretty good about it, but that's not saying much.  I should find out by Tuesday.

What was it for?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1582 on: October 10, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »

What was it for?

Health Care Customer Service, just a hope of getting some money, not meant to be a career.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1583 on: October 10, 2014, 12:06:19 PM »

I'm home from the interview.  I feel pretty good about it, but that's not saying much.  I should find out by Tuesday.

What was it for?

Health Care Customer Service, just a hope of getting some money, not meant to be a career.

WHAT?!  Stick with the script, Jeff.  Braum's is not gonna help Granny's dia-beet-us.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1584 on: October 10, 2014, 12:10:55 PM »

Are customer service jobs still the only jobs in Oklahoma? I don't get why Bushie doesn't apply for a retail job. I get Wal Mart didn't call back about the assistant managers position but there are other things he could do to make some money...
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1585 on: October 10, 2014, 12:13:30 PM »

Are customer service jobs still the only jobs in Oklahoma? I don't get why Bushie doesn't apply for a retail job. I get Wal Mart didn't call back about the assistant managers position but there are other things he could do to make some money...

Are there retail jobs in Oklahoma other than Wal-Mart?  It's a legitimate question. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1586 on: October 10, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »

In other interview news, I may, I repeat may, have a CAD interview in Tulsa pretty soon.  I got a call today right before I left for the interview and he was going to check with his client.  We'll see.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1587 on: October 10, 2014, 12:21:40 PM »

In other interview news, I may, I repeat may, have a CAD interview in Tulsa pretty soon.  I got a call today right before I left for the interview and he was going to check with his client.  We'll see.

FOLLOW UP!  It's not bugging them.  Employers like to see that you really want the job.  In the doldrums of the modern economy, every position has multiple applicants.  You know this.  Who are they gonna hire?  The guy who shows initiative, or the one that says "Oh gee dern!  Didn't want to bother you!" after they get a rejection call? 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1588 on: October 10, 2014, 04:06:33 PM »

At the top of my scrren, in addition to the disability ads, I'm now getting ones for psychiatry as well. Splendid.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1589 on: October 10, 2014, 04:10:59 PM »

I've got Non 12 Step Luxury Rehab at the top of my screen currently.  Interesting...
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1590 on: October 10, 2014, 04:12:49 PM »

I use adblock pro, so I have nothing. You all need to learn to use it. Wink
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1591 on: October 10, 2014, 04:13:40 PM »

The Atlas is a small business. I disable ad block on here.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1592 on: October 10, 2014, 04:14:18 PM »

At the top of my scrren, in addition to the disability ads, I'm now getting ones for psychiatry as well. Splendid.

It's better than the annoying blow-up doll ads that I get.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1593 on: October 10, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »

I'm having a nice, relaxing Friday evening listening to the rain and watching TV.  The Washington State vs. Stanford game comes on in a little over an hour.  I am going to try to stay up for the entire game which would put bedtime between 2330 and 0000.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1594 on: October 10, 2014, 07:35:13 PM »

the wsu qb should be the front runner for the heisman.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1595 on: October 11, 2014, 06:56:43 AM »

Most importantly, dealing with mental illness does not take away from your value as a human being. Too many posts here - most of them Bushie's - imply otherwise.

I've followed this saga closely for the past few months and I'm increasingly angry at Bushie for this reason. His attitude is insulting to millions of Americans who seek help from psychiatrists for the purposes of treating their DSM-diagnosed pathologies but still manage to pursue successful careers, raise children and contribute to society. These people don't deserve to be implicitly denigrated by an obese moron who is blind to reality.

I'm past the point of wishing Bushie well so that he can get the help he needs. If he participates in the perpetuation of prejudicial attitudes towards the mentally unwell, he hardly deserves treatment or help.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1596 on: October 11, 2014, 08:38:48 AM »

Most importantly, dealing with mental illness does not take away from your value as a human being. Too many posts here - most of them Bushie's - imply otherwise.

I've followed this saga closely for the past few months and I'm increasingly angry at Bushie for this reason. His attitude is insulting to millions of Americans who seek help from psychiatrists for the purposes of treating their DSM-diagnosed pathologies but still manage to pursue successful careers, raise children and contribute to society. These people don't deserve to be implicitly denigrated by an obese moron who is blind to reality.

I'm past the point of wishing Bushie well so that he can get the help he needs. If he participates in the perpetuation of prejudicial attitudes towards the mentally unwell, he hardly deserves treatment or help.

I appreciate your concerns, but I am not meaning to demean or put down those who truly need help psychiatrically and I'm definitely not trying to say they are not productive members of society themselves.  I just don't trust psychiatrists.  I've heard too many stories of the 5-10 minute "talk" and a trip to the drug store.  I did agree that as soon as I get good benefits I plan on seeing a psychologist.  I saw one 20 years ago due to doing horribly in school plus my Tourette's were bad.  I really loved seeing her and wish I could get back in contact with her.  So, while your concerns are valid, they are not at all what I am trying to get at.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1597 on: October 11, 2014, 08:52:02 AM »

Good Saturday Morning!  I didn't make it very far into the game last night.  I went to bed before 2100, just as the first quarter was ending.  I was tired from getting up at 0545.  I woke up just before 0800 this morning and have fed the dogs and cat.  I've had my breakfast, so now I am watch College Game Day and plan to watch at least three games today and part of a fourth.  First up is OU vs. Texas at 1100, followed by TCU vs. Baylor at 1430, then two games on ESPN2 at 1800 and 2130.  I'm not sure i'll make it all the way through the last game.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1598 on: October 11, 2014, 09:17:14 AM »

I too plan on watching college football all day, but at night I'm going to put on Giants–Cardinals. Are you not?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1599 on: October 11, 2014, 09:24:04 AM »

I too plan on watching college football all day, but at night I'm going to put on Giants–Cardinals. Are you not?

I may do that.  It all depends on what I feel like after the TCU vs. Baylor game.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies