Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:14:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 130397 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1775 on: October 14, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »

That's the nice thing about pizza delivery. You sit in your car and drive all day. I don't know why you won't consider it. The pay is comparable to all these pipedream CAD jobs that you'll never hold anyway.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1776 on: October 14, 2014, 07:16:51 PM »

Jeff, even though unemployment sucks and it's tempting to take the first thing that comes along, will you consider doing yourself a favor this time around and be discriminating based on the quality of prospects you have?

You've got a lot of interviews lined up, but if the first one is a call center and they (as they are prone to do) make an immediate offer, you don't have to take it.

I know you've been thinking about the next job as short term, and if that's the case, you can stillbe discriminating so that your financial impact is minimized. Taking a call center or other temp job in OKC, which necessitates a move, all while maintaining a place in Tulsa and (from what I gathered) not sub-leasing just doesn't make logical sense.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1777 on: October 14, 2014, 07:22:41 PM »

That's the nice thing about pizza delivery. You sit in your car and drive all day. I don't know why you won't consider it. The pay is comparable to all these pipedream CAD jobs that you'll never hold anyway.

He doesn't really seem to like driving though (especially if it's raining or whatever).
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1778 on: October 14, 2014, 07:23:39 PM »

He doesn't really seem to like driving though (especially if it's raining or whatever).

Yeah - if he can't drive when it's raining, or risk of storm... or even... SNOW! he can't do the job.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1779 on: October 14, 2014, 07:31:41 PM »

He can always just explain to the pizza customers that due to the inclement weather, he'll need to make a pit stop at a motel for the night first.  They'll get their pizzas in due course.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1780 on: October 14, 2014, 07:51:40 PM »

Jeff, even though unemployment sucks and it's tempting to take the first thing that comes along, will you consider doing yourself a favor this time around and be discriminating based on the quality of prospects you have?

You've got a lot of interviews lined up, but if the first one is a call center and they (as they are prone to do) make an immediate offer, you don't have to take it.

I know you've been thinking about the next job as short term, and if that's the case, you can stillbe discriminating so that your financial impact is minimized. Taking a call center or other temp job in OKC, which necessitates a move, all while maintaining a place in Tulsa and (from what I gathered) not sub-leasing just doesn't make logical sense.

J-Mann, do you have answers for us about these call centers?  I never once thought of working at a "call center" before Update graced my life.  Are they just abundant out there in the plains?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1781 on: October 14, 2014, 09:03:08 PM »

J-Mann, do you have answers for us about these call centers?  I never once thought of working at a "call center" before Update graced my life.  Are they just abundant out there in the plains?

No real answers from me. Not without research, at least. When I lived in Manhattan KS, they used to have a tech park that was customer service heavy, but it's been abandoned (I took a creepy tour of the Alltel / Verizon building and it was like being in an apocalyptic world ... all the offices were just abandoned; photos of families and appointment books were still in their places). I'm pretty sure the call centers that built there were attracted by the potential of a large and inexpensive pool of workers from nearby Fort Riley and Junction City.

So, I suppose it's possible that Oklahoma saw a boom of call centers sprout up around that same time and they've just thrived. It'd be cheap labor and a relatively unskilled pool of potential employees.

And, from my few experiences using temp agencies, that's typically the work being quickly filled, even in non-call center environments. Somebody's gotta answer the phones.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1782 on: October 14, 2014, 09:10:53 PM »

Really? He's always making unnecessary and lengthy trips. I remember when he thought he was going to be moving to Fort Worth and he was planning (with no job lined up) to start making biweekly trips down there just to get a feel for neighborhoods and see where things are located. I think he enjoys driving very much. I don't have the stats handy, but I don't think it snows all that much in Oklahoma.  In any case, it won't be snowing for at least a few months, and he could be earning money in the meantime. It doesn't have to be forever.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1783 on: October 14, 2014, 10:34:58 PM »

I will be more discriminate, at least on tomorrow's interview.  I think tomorrow's interview may be for a low paying job, so I'll definitely be more discriminate on it.  In fact, until I find out a decision on the interview I had today, I'll be hesitant.  The main reason for that is today's job would pay $15 an hour, whereas tomorrow may struggle to pay $10.  Of course, admittedly, I can talk a good game now, who knows what I'll be like if I actually get an offer in front of me...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1784 on: October 14, 2014, 10:40:44 PM »

You're not worth $15/hour. Any employer who says they are going to give you that much is a s-c-a-m.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1785 on: October 14, 2014, 10:48:28 PM »

I will be more discriminate, at least on tomorrow's interview.  I think tomorrow's interview may be for a low paying job, so I'll definitely be more discriminate on it.  In fact, until I find out a decision on the interview I had today, I'll be hesitant.  The main reason for that is today's job would pay $15 an hour, whereas tomorrow may struggle to pay $10.  Of course, admittedly, I can talk a good game now, who knows what I'll be like if I actually get an offer in front of me...

It is despicable that the woman who fixes my coffee at Starbucks makes less than that despite being harder working and better educated than you, and you think you're entitled to $15 an hour so you can cover your Braum's combos and cable subscription.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1786 on: October 14, 2014, 10:56:08 PM »

I never said I'm worth $15 an hour.  I just said $15 is better than $10.  What my job history is worth does not factor into the equation.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1787 on: October 14, 2014, 11:00:09 PM »

I never said I'm worth $15 an hour.  I just said $15 is better than $10.  What my job history is worth does not factor into the equation.

Yes, but the reason it's $15 is because it's a customer service job that won't pay you that much because it's a scam or it's legitimate and demanding and you won't be able to hold it down.

Think of all the weeks you've been unemployed in chase of that pie in the sky $15. Imagine if you worked $8.50/hr for 40 hours a week during that entire time. You'd have literally tens of thousands of dollars more on top of what your parents have subsidized over these years.

In baseball terms, rather than hit .300 as a singles hitter, you're swinging for the fences and striking out to a .005 batting average.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1788 on: October 14, 2014, 11:10:30 PM »

I never said I'm worth $15 an hour.  I just said $15 is better than $10.  What my job history is worth does not factor into the equation.

Yes, but the reason it's $15 is because it's a customer service job that won't pay you that much because it's a scam or it's legitimate and demanding and you won't be able to hold it down.

Think of all the weeks you've been unemployed in chase of that pie in the sky $15. Imagine if you worked $8.50/hr for 40 hours a week during that entire time. You'd have literally tens of thousands of dollars more on top of what your parents have subsidized over these years.

In baseball terms, rather than hit .300 as a singles hitter, you're swinging for the fences and striking out to a .005 batting average.

So, you're saying I should take the job, if offered, even if it pays $9 or $10 an hour?  Instead of turning it down in hopes of a higher paying one that may or may not happen?  You have a good point there.

I guess it's kind of like the man on the roof during the flood story.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1789 on: October 14, 2014, 11:20:30 PM »

Lots of customer service jobs will advertise a pay that's really just the potential one you could earn after bonuses. It's like how some cell carriers will advertise "Get all this for just $X a month! +fees" and then put all those fees in the really fine print. It's not a scam, nor is it really false advertising or all that dishonest anymore than most advertising really, nor is it even that inaccurate as the bonuses often aren't even that hard to achieve, hell I once had a job where you could make an extra 50 cents an hour just for working entire scheduled shifts during the pay period and not being late and actually doing your job during that time instead of hanging around with unauthorized breaks or in busy states. But as we all know Bushie is basically completely incapable of doing even that.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1790 on: October 15, 2014, 12:00:32 AM »

So, you're saying I should take the job, if offered, even if it pays $9 or $10 an hour?  Instead of turning it down in hopes of a higher paying one that may or may not happen?  You have a good point there.

I guess it's kind of like the man on the roof during the flood story.

This is a tough (but, in your case, absolutely rational) pill to swallow. If presented with two opportunities -- one which promises the potential of $15 an hour, and another which guarantees $10 an hour -- you'd be tempted to take the one with higher potential, as you always have.

But those lower-paying positions more-likely guarantee a steady income without caveats, other than doing your job. BRTD is right -- the call center incentive structure isn't necessarily a scam, but it's a way to get the masses starry-eyed about a lucrative position without a guarantee to pay such wages.

Had you found and accepted something better suited for you (whether that be back-office or retail or general labor) for $10.00 an hour back in January 2012 and been able to retain the position, you'd be looking at pre-tax earnings of $57,200 over that period of time. As is -- chasing the higher potential but falling flat because you're trying to step too far out of your element -- you've likely pulled in far less.

This is why discrimination and careful consideration is key this time around, even if you're looking at a job and not a career position.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1791 on: October 15, 2014, 12:14:16 AM »

Long story short - aim for the lower guaranteed hourly rate. The higher rate is an incentive-based and you just don't have the diet required for that.

I say this as someone who would NEVER take on a commission/incentive role, because I know I don't have the belly for it.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1792 on: October 15, 2014, 12:43:08 AM »

Anyone should be worth at least $15 an hour. That's what the minimum wage should be. Sadly, we don't live in a country that cares about poors.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1793 on: October 15, 2014, 08:29:52 AM »

Long story short - aim for the lower guaranteed hourly rate. The higher rate is an incentive-based and you just don't have the diet required for that.

I say this as someone who would NEVER take on a commission/incentive role, because I know I don't have the belly for it.

I could never do a commission only role.  I would starve.  I have to have a guaranteed base salary, not a base salary with clauses.

I'll see what the opportunity is that lies before me today.  If I get an offer, I'll carefully consider it even if it is not a real-high paying job.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1794 on: October 15, 2014, 01:14:16 PM »

the job search so far today has seen two jobs fall through.  The interview yesterday came back negative and the job today only pays $8.35/hr.  That's not near enough.  There aren't many jobs so far today to apply for.  I'll keep searching the rest of the afternoon and then I still have the two interviews tomorrow and the hiring events next week.  Hanging in there. The job search can be a long, grueling process...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1795 on: October 15, 2014, 01:16:46 PM »

Fulltime $8.35 per hour would be enough if you cooked food at home instead of eating out constantly and got a less expensive cable package.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1796 on: October 15, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »

There are people raising young children on $8.35 an hour
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1797 on: October 15, 2014, 02:52:51 PM »

I'm concerned that Bushie seems to be bombing all of these interviews.  2 more today, kaput.    I suspect they'd give a job to anyone who is breathing, yet Bushie's not getting anything.  Something's strange here.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1798 on: October 15, 2014, 02:54:50 PM »

Fulltime $8.35 per hour would be enough if you cooked food at home instead of eating out constantly and got a less expensive cable package.

crazy talk.  bushie deserves that super duper cable package.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1799 on: October 15, 2014, 03:05:45 PM »

I'm concerned that Bushie seems to be bombing all of these interviews.  2 more today, kaput.    I suspect they'd give a job to anyone who is breathing, yet Bushie's not getting anything.  Something's strange here.

I suspect his Tourette's has gotten worse, or he's developed some unbearable mannerisms.  I would imagine such a thing would be a great source of shame in OK, so I expect him to remain mum on any issue that could be affecting his employment outside of what's in the job description.  Think about it:

-old CADD man relieves him before 90 day trial is up, Bushie mentions some "clock watching" and "no going all in on focus"

-Uncle Bushie says NO to a weekend KC trip

-this coincides with some serious extra family time

... it all goes back to the idea that he should be talking to a doctor or priest about some of his issues so he can "go all in on focus" and not have so much pent up anger/worry/aggression. 
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies