Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:46:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 130477 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: October 15, 2014, 03:10:33 PM »

didnt he have a meltdown during an interview once?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1801 on: October 15, 2014, 03:17:18 PM »

There are people raising young children on $8.35 an hour

True statement. And I think Jeff could make some concessions so that a smaller wage is a more-acceptable wage -- eating at home and cutting back on TV would be top on the list.

Still, I don't think we should oversimplify how bare bones one would have to exist in order to make an $8.35 an hour wage work. Jeff is in a more-manageable situation due to having his parents' help, so he could get by on a smaller wage in order to build up experience, a somewhat-stable job history and start to pay down some debt. However, this is where the mentor / life coach / etc. comes into play to help him make that type of wage work -- because it wouldn't be easy:

Estimated pre-tax annual earnings at $8.35 an hour would be:

$17,368 -- that's assuming there is paid time off and / or vacation included.

Tax liability at that level would be low, but for sh[inks] and grins, let's assume $1,500 -- federal and state.

What would other reasonable monthly expenses be?

Rent          $300 / mo
Electric      $50 / mo
Water        $25 / mo
Food          $350 / mo (Can you get by with less? Sure ... but you'll eat unhealthy food)
Gas / Car   $150 / mo (This includes routine maintenance ... no idea if Jeff has car payments)
Clothing     $40 / mo (Don't expect someone to not buy clothing)
Phone        $75 / mo (Assume data and possible replacement at some point)
Internet     $50 / mo (Sorry, it's probably a necessity in this day and age)
Debt          $150 / mo (I have no idea what Jeff's debt is, but this is a reasonable amount)

That's $1,190 in expenses per month and completely excludes entertainment (other than web-based) or miscellaneous needs. It also excludes health care, since Jeff seems to get his for free. Otherwise, it'd be another $150 easily.

If the taxes are estimated somewhat correctly, someone earning $8.35 an hour would pull in $1,322.33 per month. They'd have enough to pay the bills listed above and have $132.33 left over.

And I have no idea what Jeff's actual expenses are. His rent may be lower or it may be higher. In Manhattan, KS (which is somewhat comparable to Tulsa), you're unlikely to find a single apartment for less than $600. I may be off on the estimated expenses, too.

Maybe you all are living like St. Francis. I personally haven't ever had to manage an income level that low, and it's been a decade since I've managed one even close to that. While I think buckling down and managing a tight budget would ultimately be good for Jeff, I can certainly understand his reluctance to accept something that leaves very little wiggle room.

That being said -- this needs to be part of your deliberation process when looking at jobs and possible offers, Jeff. Ask yourself, "What do I want," vs. "What do I need?" Because surviving on needs may be the critical step to build toward enjoying your wants.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1802 on: October 15, 2014, 03:25:30 PM »

I forget how cheap rent is where he lives.

I've survived on $10/hr holding down $900 monthly rent. He should be able to do this at min wage in OK cost of living.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1803 on: October 15, 2014, 04:08:03 PM »

True statement. And I think Jeff could make some concessions so that a smaller wage is a more-acceptable wage -- eating at home and cutting back on TV would be top on the list.

Still, I don't think we should oversimplify how bare bones one would have to exist in order to make an $8.35 an hour wage work. Jeff is in a more-manageable situation due to having his parents' help, so he could get by on a smaller wage in order to build up experience, a somewhat-stable job history and start to pay down some debt. However, this is where the mentor / life coach / etc. comes into play to help him make that type of wage work -- because it wouldn't be easy:

Tax liability at that level would be low, but for sh[inks] and grins, let's assume $1,500 -- federal and state.

Rent          $300 / mo
Electric      $50 / mo
Water        $25 / mo
Food          $350 / mo (Can you get by with less? Sure ... but you'll eat unhealthy food)
Gas / Car   $150 / mo (This includes routine maintenance ... no idea if Jeff has car payments)
Debt          $150 / mo (I have no idea what Jeff's debt is, but this is a reasonable amount)

That's $1,190 in expenses per month and completely excludes entertainment (other than web-based) or miscellaneous needs. It also excludes health care, since Jeff seems to get his for free. Otherwise, it'd be another $150 easily.

If the taxes are estimated somewhat correctly, someone earning $8.35 an hour would pull in $1,322.33 per month. They'd have enough to pay the bills listed above and have $132.33 left over.

And I have no idea what Jeff's actual expenses are. His rent may be lower or it may be higher. In Manhattan, KS (which is somewhat comparable to Tulsa), you're unlikely to find a single apartment for less than $600. I may be off on the estimated expenses, too.

Maybe you all are living like St. Francis. I personally haven't ever had to manage an income level that low, and it's been a decade since I've managed one even close to that. While I think buckling down and managing a tight budget would ultimately be good for Jeff, I can certainly understand his reluctance to accept something that leaves very little wiggle room.

That being said -- this needs to be part of your deliberation process when looking at jobs and possible offers, Jeff. Ask yourself, "What do I want," vs. "What do I need?" Because surviving on needs may be the critical step to build toward enjoying your wants.

Wow......
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1804 on: October 15, 2014, 04:29:54 PM »

J-Mann... totally off-topic, but how are you planning to vote next month?  Smiley
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1805 on: October 15, 2014, 05:09:50 PM »

J-Mann... totally off-topic, but how are you planning to vote next month?  Smiley

I'm ashamed to say it, but I probably won't. I'm in a weird limbo between residences, and although I'm still legally registered in Kansas, my primary residence will be in Kansas City MO as of this Friday. Plus, I'll be in Lexington KY on November 4.

I could early vote if I make it to my county in Kansas office before Friday, but that's doubtful. If I do, though, I'd be voting for Davis, Orman and Sherow.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1806 on: October 15, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »

I'm tempted to vote for all Democrats except for James Lankford and that's only because of a personal relationship with Mr. Lankford.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1807 on: October 15, 2014, 06:04:21 PM »

Bushie, if you can't afford your lifestyle on the kind of salary you can get from these jobs, would you consider getting a roommate?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1808 on: October 15, 2014, 06:43:01 PM »

Bushie, why don't you utilize your personal relationship with Mr. Lankford to develop a business relationship with Mr. Lankford and/or friends of Mr. Lankford?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1809 on: October 15, 2014, 06:57:49 PM »

Bushie, why don't you utilize your personal relationship with Mr. Lankford to develop a business relationship with Mr. Lankford and/or friends of Mr. Lankford?

Seriously, tell him you want to be his outreach director to evangelical Christians or Native Americans or something.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1810 on: October 15, 2014, 07:02:08 PM »

I'm tempted to vote for all Democrats except for James Lankford and that's only because of a personal relationship with Mr. Lankford.

Is the extent of the personal relationship that you met him once and he seemed like a nice guy?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1811 on: October 15, 2014, 07:04:06 PM »

Is the extent of the personal relationship that you met him once and he seemed like a nice guy?

Surely that's enough... a politician would never be nice to a constituent and not mean it!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1812 on: October 15, 2014, 07:38:37 PM »

What if Bushie took an $8/hour job and then asked his parents to supplement him an additional $80/week? They would gladly do it and it would be seen as a responsible, conscientious gesture on his part. He can then look for CAD jobs as he works. Hell, his parents might be willing to do this permanently.

Think about it, Bushie. Think about it.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1813 on: October 15, 2014, 07:45:54 PM »

Rent          $300 / mo
Electric      $50 / mo
Water        $25 / mo

Wow......

Total guess on my part. I know that there are places in the Plains states where rent is very low ... basement apartments and the like. If one had to be thrifty, it could be done.

Still, this assumes that he has all the other basics -- furniture and cooking utensils -- and completely excludes any costing for other basics like toiletries.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1814 on: October 15, 2014, 08:25:15 PM »

Smash lives on Long Island.  His mind is just boggling that people pay such cheap rent.  Perhaps $300/month is a bit low, but you could, say, find a perfectly adequate 1br in Tulsa for $500/month, and probably even cheaper if you felt like clicking around some more.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1815 on: October 15, 2014, 08:38:28 PM »

For the record, my rent is $589 for a 1 bedroom flat plus electric and cable.

I am trying to be more discriminate in my job search.  There is very little way I could survive on $8.35 an hour and still live somewhat comfortably.  I am not going to accept anything less than $11/hour.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1816 on: October 15, 2014, 09:02:45 PM »

What bills do you have on a monthly basis? How much is each on average?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1817 on: October 15, 2014, 09:13:18 PM »

Jeff, does Braum's have touch screen ordering?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1818 on: October 15, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »

The Onion gives us a flashback to Oklahoma, circa 30 years ago...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-more-americans-saving-money-for-childs-unem,37191/
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1819 on: October 15, 2014, 09:33:59 PM »

Smash lives on Long Island.  His mind is just boggling that people pay such cheap rent.  Perhaps $300/month is a bit low, but you could, say, find a perfectly adequate 1br in Tulsa for $500/month, and probably even cheaper if you felt like clicking around some more.
I'd argue against trying to discern what is perfectly adequate from a craiglist ad, especially in a city with which (I presume) you are not familiar. Super low rent apartments anywhere are going to have some serious safety issues. $300/mo is guaranteed to be New Jack City. I'm sure somebody somewhere knows the exception to the rule, but, by and large, people making very low wages don't get to live solo. Still, a respectable 3 br can be had in low cost Middle America for $1000/mo, which yields the same result. And then, of course, all the bills get to be split as well. Other than living with the parents forever, it's really the only option for someone like Bushie. Also, the prideful "I won't take less than $11/hour" attitude is exactly why Bushie will never hold a job more than few weeks ever.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1820 on: October 15, 2014, 09:40:37 PM »

J-Mann, I prefer not to disclose my finances in any more detail.  Don't even ask privately.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1821 on: October 15, 2014, 09:42:36 PM »

J-Mann, I prefer not to disclose my finances in any more detail.  Don't even ask privately.
Cannot even imagine the clusterInks at this point.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1822 on: October 15, 2014, 09:51:20 PM »

Smash lives on Long Island.  His mind is just boggling that people pay such cheap rent.  Perhaps $300/month is a bit low, but you could, say, find a perfectly adequate 1br in Tulsa for $500/month, and probably even cheaper if you felt like clicking around some more.
I'd argue against trying to discern what is perfectly adequate from a craiglist ad, especially in a city with which (I presume) you are not familiar. Super low rent apartments anywhere are going to have some serious safety issues. $300/mo is guaranteed to be New Jack City. I'm sure somebody somewhere knows the exception to the rule, but, by and large, people making very low wages don't get to live solo. Still, a respectable 3 br can be had in low cost Middle America for $1000/mo, which yields the same result. And then, of course, all the bills get to be split as well. Other than living with the parents forever, it's really the only option for someone like Bushie. Also, the prideful "I won't take less than $11/hour" attitude is exactly why Bushie will never hold a job more than few weeks ever.

Yeah, I definitely don't know anything about the neighborhoods of Tulsa... this seems to be between downtown and the University of Tulsa, but, eh.  I wasn't able to find any ads on padmapper for apartments less than $300/month.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1823 on: October 15, 2014, 09:55:37 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2014, 09:57:14 PM by J-Mann »

J-Mann, I prefer not to disclose my finances in any more detail.  Don't even ask privately.

Fine then! I'd tell you mine if you asked Tongue

I would recommend that you outline your necessary monthly spending (key word: necessary) and use that to determine the kind of wage you need, rather than picking an arbitrary number that you don't want to dip below. Maybe you already have.

It strikes me that a lot of people take on two or more jobs in order to make ends meet, and that's a possibility that you (and, to be fair, any of us) never consider. It's not like you don't have the free time to do a part-time shift of something on top of a normal, 40-hour work week.

And you may be considering pizza delivery a joke option, but while you're looking to get back on your feet, why not? You'd earn tips.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1824 on: October 15, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »

J-Mann, I prefer not to disclose my finances in any more detail.  Don't even ask privately.

Fine then! I'd tell you mine if you asked Tongue

I would recommend that you outline your necessary monthly spending (key word: necessary) and use that to determine the kind of wage you need, rather than picking an arbitrary number that you don't want to dip below. Maybe you already have.

It strikes me that a lot of people take on two or more jobs in order to make ends meet, and that's a possibility that you (and, to be fair, any of us) never consider. It's not like you don't have the free time to do a part-time shift of something on top of a normal, 40-hour work week.

And you may be considering pizza delivery a joke option, but while you're looking to get back on your feet, why not? You'd earn tips.

How does he hold down 1.5-2 jobs when he can't seem to hold down one?
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies