Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:58:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 130202 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1825 on: October 15, 2014, 10:05:05 PM »

For the record, my rent is $589 for a 1 bedroom flat plus electric and cable.

I am trying to be more discriminate in my job search.  There is very little way I could survive on $8.35 an hour and still live somewhat comfortably.  I am not going to accept anything less than $11/hour.

De-Bushied: Enough to ensure I can eat out everyday and not have to cook for myself like any other person my age.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1826 on: October 15, 2014, 10:06:44 PM »

J-Mann, I prefer not to disclose my finances in any more detail.  Don't even ask privately.

Fine then! I'd tell you mine if you asked Tongue

I would recommend that you outline your necessary monthly spending (key word: necessary) and use that to determine the kind of wage you need, rather than picking an arbitrary number that you don't want to dip below. Maybe you already have.

It strikes me that a lot of people take on two or more jobs in order to make ends meet, and that's a possibility that you (and, to be fair, any of us) never consider. It's not like you don't have the free time to do a part-time shift of something on top of a normal, 40-hour work week.

And you may be considering pizza delivery a joke option, but while you're looking to get back on your feet, why not? You'd earn tips.
FWIW, I very much am not joking about the pizza thing. As I mentioned previously, I've done it. Except for the lack of prestige, it's a super sweet job. Waiting tables (which I've also done) is so much harder. On your feet all day, dealing with people and their food and their problems for an extended period of time. With pizza, the pay is comparable, but it's "Here's your pizza, give me your money, have a nice day." and boom you're done and back in the car. Seriously. Most fun job ever, and you should have no trouble clearing the $11/hour floor you set. Just don't work a store in a bad neighborhood. That part is very important.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1827 on: October 15, 2014, 10:08:41 PM »

How does he hold down 1.5-2 jobs when he can't seem to hold down one?

Oh, I don't have the answer to that, particularly since my advice has fallen flat when trying to assist in keeping a single position. But, the theory is essentially that a lower wage requires less of the skills that Jeff seems to struggle with, hopefully providing more-secure employment and just more hours in order to accumulate the earnings he needs.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1828 on: October 15, 2014, 10:08:46 PM »

If you're making $0/hour, how can you be picky and say you'll only work for $11 an hour?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #1829 on: October 15, 2014, 11:08:39 PM »

Bushie, don't pursue jobs that pay above minimum wage until the quality of the work you produce is actually above minimum wage. The Pizza job is probably the best idea advanced that could be held down consistently and function above minimum wage (a friend of mine had it come down to ~$12-14/hr with tips).
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1830 on: October 16, 2014, 12:38:57 AM »

Bushie, don't pursue jobs that pay above minimum wage until the quality of the work you produce is actually above minimum wage. The Pizza job is probably the best idea advanced that could be held down consistently and function above minimum wage (a friend of mine had it come down to ~$12-14/hr with tips).

I made more than that working at a pizza place my senior year of high school.  Some nights upwards of $20/hr. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1831 on: October 16, 2014, 01:15:11 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2014, 01:17:42 AM by Eraserhead »

For the record, my rent is $589 for a 1 bedroom flat plus electric and cable.

I am trying to be more discriminate in my job search.  There is very little way I could survive on $8.35 an hour and still live somewhat comfortably.  I am not going to accept anything less than $11/hour.

Wow, sounds like you'll be making $0/hour for the foreseeable future then.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1832 on: October 16, 2014, 01:31:12 AM »

At 8.35 an hour, about 20% going to tax witholds, that's 1068 a month. You can't live comfortably as a bachelor with $500 plus parental backup support?

You're a total queen, Bushie.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1833 on: October 16, 2014, 02:59:48 AM »

I'm sure eating out several times a day can get very expensive.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1834 on: October 16, 2014, 08:56:20 AM »

Considering he eats three meals without fail and likely also snacks/dessert, and drinks soda instead of water, it wouldn't surprise me if Bushie's food bill was $750-1000 monthly.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1835 on: October 16, 2014, 09:02:36 AM »

Great news to wake up to:  I woke up to an email about an entry-level CAD drafter position in Oklahoma City.  I immediately called the lady who sent the email and now it looks like I may possibly have a phone interview while I'm on the road to New Mexico tomorrow and a live interview in OKC on Monday, which is perfect since I'll be getting back to my parents' on Sunday.  I could just stay the night with them and go to my interview before coming back home and getting ready for my job fairs Tuesday and Wednesday.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1836 on: October 16, 2014, 09:18:09 AM »

Considering he eats three meals without fail and likely also snacks/dessert, and drinks soda instead of water, it wouldn't surprise me if Bushie's food bill was $750-1000 monthly.
Which reminds me of the following quote. Just replace references to obesity with the high food spending.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1837 on: October 16, 2014, 09:29:08 AM »

Great news to wake up to:  I woke up to an email about an entry-level CAD drafter position in Oklahoma City.  I immediately called the lady who sent the email and now it looks like I may possibly have a phone interview while I'm on the road to New Mexico tomorrow and a live interview in OKC on Monday, which is perfect since I'll be getting back to my parents' on Sunday.  I could just stay the night with them and go to my interview before coming back home and getting ready for my job fairs Tuesday and Wednesday.

Jeff, please check out the link to the AutoCAD app I posted on the Facialbook thread.  What a great way to spend those long hours on the road to New Mexico!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1838 on: October 16, 2014, 09:39:07 AM »

Memphis and King, you know darn well I don't pig out like I used to.  There is no need to say I do.  Many times Mom has to tell me to eat, because many times I will go down for supper at 1700 only having had an extremely light lunch.  Other times I don't eat anything until 1400 or so.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1839 on: October 16, 2014, 09:51:59 AM »

Memphis and King, you know darn well I don't pig out like I used to.  There is no need to say I do.  Many times Mom has to tell me to eat, because many times I will go down for supper at 1700 only having had an extremely light lunch.  Other times I don't eat anything until 1400 or so.

Damn it, Bushie.  I understand it when you ignore me after I pester you about mangoes... but I literally took a few minutes out of my day to link you to an AutoCAD app right before you go on a long road trip. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1840 on: October 16, 2014, 10:04:30 AM »

If you're making $0/hour, how can you be picky and say you'll only work for $11 an hour?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1841 on: October 16, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »

1000 interview today was a bust.  All commission...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1842 on: October 16, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »

Damn it, Bushie.  I understand it when you ignore me after I pester you about mangoes... but I literally took a few minutes out of my day to link you to an AutoCAD app right before you go on a long road trip. 

I may have to download that app.  I'm curious how you use AutoCAD on such a small screen as a phone.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1843 on: October 16, 2014, 10:29:05 AM »

I may have to download that app.  I'm curious how you use AutoCAD on such a small screen as a phone.

1. Use your tablet.

2. It's better than nothing.

3. Don't blow this interview by saying it'll take you hours to do a drawing.  Ever hear of the term "fake it till you make it."? 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1844 on: October 16, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1845 on: October 16, 2014, 12:24:12 PM »

Memphis and King, you know darn well I don't pig out like I used to.  There is no need to say I do.  Many times Mom has to tell me to eat, because many times I will go down for supper at 1700 only having had an extremely light lunch.  Other times I don't eat anything until 1400 or so.

Except your definition of light eating is not light or inexpensive. You eat two dinners regularly.

People don't get to be your weight by not putting down a serious amount of food and since you don't cook that costs $$$.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1846 on: October 16, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »

Smash lives on Long Island.  His mind is just boggling that people pay such cheap rent.  Perhaps $300/month is a bit low, but you could, say, find a perfectly adequate 1br in Tulsa for $500/month, and probably even cheaper if you felt like clicking around some more.

Obviously I know its considerably cheaper in most of the country, the $300 is what really surprised me.  The $589 Bushie pays is closer to what I would have thought.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1847 on: October 16, 2014, 05:46:45 PM »

Jeff how much money would you guess that you spend eating out per week?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1848 on: October 16, 2014, 06:06:19 PM »

Jeff how much money would you guess that you spend eating out per week?

THIS is the question I'd like answered...

When I lived in the US - sure I'd eat out a few times a week. But I'd go to the supermarket on a Sunday and get pre-packaged salads, some shaved ham, some bagels, some smoked salmon (just to put in context), some hummus, a couple of tins of clam chowder. Some teabags and some milk.

If I paid more than $40 per week at the grocery store... that would have been a shock.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1849 on: October 16, 2014, 06:23:27 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2014, 06:25:15 PM by Duke »

Bushie would lose weight if he went on a low carb diet. He could literally eat all the fat he wanted to if he stayed away from bread, rice, pasta, desserts, etc. I did that a few summers ago and dropped a ton of weight (well 15 pounds, I'm not overweight to start with), and now I rarely eat carbs aside from fruit with my yoghurt.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies