Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:43:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 130670 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« on: September 15, 2014, 01:33:24 PM »

Lunch time!  This has been a really good first day in the new office.  I have a little more privacy than I did in the old office, but everyone is still accessible.  My boss wants me to leave at 1600, not 1700 all week because of logistics.  I may be able to work til 1700 next week.

Uh oh.......
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 09:27:57 AM »

Good Tuesday Morning!  I am awake and ready for Day 31.  Tonight, I need to make a quick run to Walmart and then I'll watch two episodes of Big Brother (Sunday and Tuesday).  No games on tonight.

Buy some dumbbells when you go to Walmart??
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »

Franzl, I'm not going to attack and accuse because I know it's bad for me.  I'm still trying to find ways to replace it with little extra expense.  There are no restaurants anywhere close (probably a good thing).

Do Deli's exist in Oklahoma??
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 12:56:11 PM »

Nothing really wrong with Bushie's breakfast for a normal sized person, probably not the best idea for someone his size, but not completely horrible.  The skipping lunch is not good for someone with an already screwed up metabolism.

Bushie, since you went to Walmart the other day, did you buy the dumbbells I suggested and have been for motnhs & months??
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:38:07 PM »

I've eaten at BWW twice in the fall of 2013.  I'm not too thrilled with their food,  to be honest.  I don't like wings generally, so I was only able to get a cheeseburger there both times and felt I've had better burgers.  I only went because the church men's group met there for dinner and football while the ladies had a Bible Study.  It's not a place I would go on my own.

What the hell is Bible Study?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 11:28:09 PM »

I've eaten at BWW twice in the fall of 2013.  I'm not too thrilled with their food,  to be honest.  I don't like wings generally, so I was only able to get a cheeseburger there both times and felt I've had better burgers.  I only went because the church men's group met there for dinner and football while the ladies had a Bible Study.  It's not a place I would go on my own.

What the hell is Bible Study?

Bible Study can come in different forms.  One can either study the Bible on their own or, as these ladies were doing, studying the Bible together.  The Bible is more than just a good book.  It is the how-to book on life.  It is God's written, holy, and infallible Word to man.  It is to be studied, not just read like a John Grisham novel.

How would one go about studying the bible?  Highlighters?  Index Cards?  Giving each other quizzes on who said certain things??
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 11:58:34 PM »

Matt, why are you making it seem like the term "loving on" kids is kin to what a pedophile does? It is not a creepy term and is a normal term used by many, many people.  No one should ever take it as a creepy term, because it's never meant in that way.

What the Oklahoma?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 10:16:58 PM »

Sorry for your loss Bushie
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 10:44:37 PM »

Constructive Idea #48482984:

CarMax has dealerships in both Tulsa and OKC. From my understanding, their sales associates are paid hourly rather than by commission, and since the cars have fixed non-negotiable prices, that takes a considerable amount of pressure off the salesman. At their Houston stores, they even have little golf carts to drive you to the car you want to look at, so there's not even any walking involved.

Can Jeff handle this?

Anything sales related is a major no.  To top it off a quick look at the site "unlimited earning potential" = Commission
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 10:46:54 PM »

Bushie,

As far as the company in the PM, it looks reputable, but I don't think there are any jobs that are listed that suit you.  I agree with J-Mann on the initative comment. You would be better suited in a position where you have very speciic tasks that you are asked to do and do them, if you have to think outside the box as part of a job, take things on yourself, that is something you just can't do.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »

I'm back home and the meeting went as expected, I am out of a job.  However, he did tell me not to give up on my CAD career, but try to find a larger company who might have more time to work with me and bring me up to speed.  Again, I come out of this the winner and not the loser.  It is time now to find a job as quickly as possible and to get over whatever illness I have.

That is not the correct attitude when this happens...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-kSqHMEHIA

You need to have the attitude that you need to work hard and improve, not play the I'm a winner when I get fired game
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 05:06:29 PM »

Hi, guys, I am just going to let you believe whatever you want about me.  I'll be over here living life and doing what I need to do to make the necessary changes to get a good career established.

What would those things be??
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 11:47:44 AM »

Bushie, Good luck.  Been a bit busy the couple days so only got a chance to look over things briefly.  Company seems legit, and the job seems like it has potential, I'm not sure if it will provide the training you seem to need, but its certainly worth a shot if you get the call.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 12:11:57 PM »

I think we found what Our Dear Friend should pursue (I think it was eluded to earlier on this page): he must run for, and win, elected office. And unless Oklahoma has recall provisions, he wouldn't be terminated from his position within like two months.

Any attempt by him to run for office would result in Mondale leaking Update to the media.

That would actually make for one of the weirdest political scandals of all time.

Would it be a plus in Oklahoma??  Bushie being  seen as "common folk" down there??
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 09:46:27 PM »

Jeff, you don't even need to PM JMann and Smash with info on this one. I know they will tell this is an awful job for you and you will fail HARD at it. It's clear as day from the little info you've already provided. Even if you aren't on the phone, this is a customer service job where you will have to answer difficult questions by the customer and your Tourette's will may it difficult for you.

Please get a job at WalMart, Target, or anywhere else for the holiday season. You will be unemployed on Christmas Day if you take a "HelpDesk" job.

I would say that is the reason J-Mann and myself haven't been PM'd this one.  Bushie knows exactly what we will say.  Bushie if you want actual imput send something over (I hope I'm wrong), but I have a feeling your head is planted in the sand on this one
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 10:37:39 PM »

I can vouch that it is a reputable company, the specific job need to find out more, but from what it sounds .....
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 10:56:26 PM »

Hooray for leaving the ridiculously stretched page behind!

Yeah, sorry about that whole thing. My brain just sort of stroked off and I couldn't stop typing. I'll happily accept whatever the hell an "infraction point" is.

---

As for the job -- I have posed a number of questions to Jeff and find it completely unnecessary to accept a position which is essentially customer service wherein he'll have to learn entirely new skills when he possesses the beginnings of CADD knowledge and enough other basic skills to land a position that won't require yet another "challenge."

If it's the type of organization that I suspect it is, they likely would hire him, because they look for bodies, not talent and capabilities. Having a pulse gets you hired ... not retained.

Hell, I couldn't even get into the whole new skills part, the whole customer service aspect of it made me want to throw my computer across the room.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 11:03:27 PM »

Well, guys, I need to go to bed. I've got a phone interview in 12 hours...

I'm not sure how to even respond to this....
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 11:33:19 PM »

He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. What a negative he is!

Part of me understands exactly why Bushie is doing this over and over again, he needs something.  I was hit by layoffs during the heart of the recession and it was near impossible for me to find a job for awhile, so I know how frustrating it can be.  I was out for awhile and ultimately took something that I didn't envision myself taking and wouldn't have taken at the time if I wasn't out of work for as long as I was.  I was pratically starting over.  Still in the financial field, but completely different sector, had to go through licensing exams, etc.  

While I was never even remotely close to Bushie's financial situation, I was struggling and took it because well I needed it.   I think that is what Bushie keeps doing, but the difference is knowing what you are getting yourself into.  I knew exactly what I was getting into, Bushie over and over again simply doesn't.  He gets something in his head and jumps in full tilt without taking a step back, realize his own skills, where he is strong, where he isn't (customer service).

He his obviously desperate, his current financial situation is a complete disaster, and needs something asap, but seems to be going about it completely the wrong way.    

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 11:35:02 AM »

Here is why I rarely listen to the forum.  Most of the forum thinks I can't do anything, or can't do anything significant.  Friends don't think their friends can't do anything.  That's where most of the forum utterly fail.  They never give me a chance and try to discourage me from EVERY friggin job I come across.  Shut up, will ya.

Bushie, you need to know your limitations, what you can do and what you can't do.  I wouldn't become a Carpenter or anything like that because well I suck at that type of stuff, and I'm not cut out for it.  No offense, but you aren't cut out for a Customer Service type of job.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 03:15:49 PM »

King, I don't have to convince myself.  I'm a pretty smart cookie and I'm positive I can do this.  If I fail, I fail, but if I succeed that's all the better.

FFS what makes you think you can do another Customer Service job, which has worked out oh so well for you in the past, in something far more technical than you have ever experienced??  It isn't always a bad thing to try something else, but this is just a cluster****
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 05:10:44 PM »

Well, never mind.  I was declined.  So, time for the next gig...

Bushie, I typically feel bad when you get declined, but this time I don't.  This is the best outcome possible for you.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 10:36:39 PM »

Does Quicken Loans exist in OK? I know people who've gotten careers there without a college degree and in a field they've never studied.

I work for a Mortgage Company (not Quicken).  A Mortgage Company would be a terrible fit for Bushie
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 09:42:57 PM »

What did you learn in Bible Study today, Bushie?

We were in Mark 14:1-26, looking at the woman who spent a year's wages on perfume to anoint Jesus' head in preparation for his burial and the disciples' response to the perfume.  We also looked at how from that event that Judas Iscariot went out and start the process of betraying Jesus.  We saw that God demands and rewards complete and total submission to Him such as what the woman was doing.  We then looked at parallels between the disciples' reaction with today's Christians and society in general.  This just in: the world has not changed much...

Is Bible Study more important than job searching?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 03:41:50 PM »

I'm home from the interview.  I did find out that I was turned down for the job in OKC, not due to lack of skill, but due to abundance of applications.  The interview here in Tulsa went very well.  It was only a 10-15 minute meeting with the HR Manager, but I should have further word on that job by the end of the week.  This confirms that I will need to keep my phone on while we're driving to ABQ this Friday.  I am going to stay in my interview clothes for a while longer just in case something unexpected pops up the remainder of the afternoon.  I am going to leave here at 1800 for the fellowship.  When I get back tonight, I am going to do Week 11 of the Real-Life Discipleship Training that we will cover tomorrow night at church.  There is a potential that I may have another interview tomorrow or Thursday for a 4-month temporary position in Tulsa that would take me through February.

Umm what??  Is there a reason you wouldn't keep your phone on??
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies