Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:07:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Author Topic: Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014)  (Read 30348 times)
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »

Sweden had elections in 1958, 1960 and 1970 after 2 years.   

The 1958 election is the only one that counts. in 1970 they had an early election because they changed the entire constitution and eliminated the upper house. It wasn't because of a government falling.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2014, 03:45:47 PM »

Great job, Swedes! Welcome to the same nightmarish hell that other European countries have been living through for a while. Apparently you're no better than them.

Being a little overdramatic here, aren't we? Smiley It's still going to be a minority for the left.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2014, 03:47:17 PM »

Social democracy isn't dead yet but it's clearly on its deathbed.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2014, 03:47:30 PM »

I guess this result will mean a center-left minority government with a significant chance of a mid-term election.

I don't think Sweden has ever had a "mid-term election"...the centre left will find some way to stay in power until 2018 - there is no alternative

I think he means "early election". Only 1958 counts as one. 1960 was at the regular date, and 1970 was due to Swedish constitutional reforms.  In other words, they have not had an early election in 56 years.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2014, 04:01:27 PM by Lurker »

I wonder whether the Alliance will try to hang on to power after all. The statements of a government minister indicates that they might do so.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2014, 03:50:18 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2014, 04:00:12 PM by politicus »

The 1958 election is the only one that counts. in 1970 they had an early election because they changed the entire constitution and eliminated the upper house. It wasn't because of a government falling.

I know, but its still a mid-term. Why wouldn't 1960 count? 1921 with the SAP/Communist split counts as well.

Of course today they have fixed terms, so its only of historical interest.

I think he means "early election". Only 1958 counts as one. 1960 was at the regular date, and 1970 was due to Swedish constitutional reforms.  In other words, they have not had an early election in 56 years.

It sounds odd that they needed a regular election 2 years after an early election - fixed election dates instead of fixed terms is strange. Are you sure about this?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2014, 03:52:32 PM »

If it is true that the elections have fixed dates then I agree it is likely that the S-MP-V will survive since it is almost impossible for the center-right parties to have a position coalition.  It is easy to get them to agree on a negative coalition, like vote down the budget.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2014, 03:55:10 PM »

If it is true that the elections have fixed dates then I agree it is likely that the S-MP-V will survive since it is almost impossible for the center-right parties to have a position coalition.  It is easy to get them to agree on a negative coalition, like vote down the budget.

You don't trust us?

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »

Great job, Swedes! Welcome to the same nightmarish hell that other European countries have been living through for a while. Apparently you're no better than them.

Being a little overdramatic here, aren't we? Smiley It's still going to be a minority for the left.

Yeah, with a bunch of xenophobic bastards holding the balance of power. Surely this is gonna be a wonderful left-wing government.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2014, 03:55:44 PM »

I know, but its still a mid-term. Why wouldn't 1960 count? 1921 with the SAP/Communist split counts as well.

I don't think 1960 could have been held at a later date. In the event of an early election, the next election would still have to take place four years after the last "regular" election (i.e., not like in the UK, Denmark, etc. - Swedens early election rules are/were more restricted).
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2014, 03:57:18 PM »

You don't trust us?

They do have fixed dates, but an early election is a constitutional possibility. It's not like in Norway, where early elections are not allowed at all.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2014, 04:04:53 PM »

Yeah, with a bunch of xenophobic bastards holding the balance of power. Surely this is gonna be a wonderful left-wing government.

SAP cooperation across the aisle with the centre-right is not exactly an alien concept to Swedish politics.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2014, 04:06:48 PM »

The election dates are fixed. So no matter what happen we will have an election in September of 2018. But early elections are still possible, but the term of those elections only last until the ordinary election would have been held. That is why the 1960 election is not an early election. It was the ordinary election following the 1956 election.

It seems one can be a candidate in two districts?

Yes, Jimmie Åkesson is a candidate in every constituency.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2014, 04:07:09 PM »

I don't think 1960 could have been held at a later date. In the event of an early election, the next election would still have to take place four years after the last "regular" election (i.e., not like in the UK, Denmark, etc. - Swedens early election rules are/were more restricted).

Okay. Swedes are weird.
rosin
Rookie
Denmark

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2014, 04:09:46 PM »

I wonder whether the Alliance will try to hang on to power after all. The statements of a government minister indicates that they might do so.

How does the Swedish constitution work in such cases? Can a government continue after an election if there is not a majority against it or will the parliament have to start at ground zero after each election with forming a government?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2014, 04:09:48 PM »

SAP cooperation across the aisle with the centre-right is not exactly an alien concept to Swedish politics.

Yeah, isn't that quite a common thing in Scandinavia? Hasn't HTS had to get some stuff passed with Venstre instead of Red-Green in Denmark? (or am I thinking of Borgen?)
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2014, 04:17:32 PM »

Reinfeldt has announced his resignation.

Both as PM and party leader.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2014, 04:17:44 PM »

Yeah, isn't that quite a common thing in Scandinavia? Hasn't HTS had to get some stuff passed with Venstre instead of Red-Green in Denmark? (or am I thinking of Borgen?)

Yes. Most of the governments important reforms actually.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2014, 04:19:19 PM »

Reinfeldt just announced his resignation, both as Prime Minister and leader of the Moderate Party
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »

Bastard. Wink
njwes
United States

« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2014, 04:20:27 PM »

Any good seat breakdowns yet?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2014, 04:21:14 PM »

Yes, through it should be remembered that Denmark have always been the least Social Democratic country in Scandinavia thanks to a different social structure from our northern neighbours. SAP have more often been able to gain a majority left of centre, while it have been relative rare in Denmark (and never a success).
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »

Good riddance.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2014, 04:23:09 PM »

For any further comment on this election, refer to the first quote in my sig.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2014, 04:26:51 PM »

Bastard. Wink

Ursäkta mig! I couldn't let a Swede break this news. Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies