Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:12:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014)  (Read 30449 times)
Lurker
Norway
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2014, 02:49:57 AM »
« edited: September 15, 2014, 02:51:28 AM by Lurker »

Ah, the old discussion of why Stockholm is right-wing (it wasn't last night, actually...). No offense, but I feel like DL is the one who asks that question every single time, with the same people replying and the same counter-arguments from DL. Tongue

(It is an interesting topic, but not sure why Stockholm gets all this attention - centre-right cities aren't that unusual)
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2014, 02:51:43 AM »

Well, this could have gone better. :/
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2014, 02:56:56 AM »

Ah, the old discussion of why Stockholm is right-wing (it wasn't last night, actually...). No offense, but I feel like DL is the one who asks that question every single time, with the same people replying and the same counter-arguments from DL. Tongue

(It is an interesting topic, but not sure why Stockholm gets all this attention - centre-right cities aren't that unusual)

I cant remember discussing this with DL before.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #153 on: September 15, 2014, 03:06:21 AM »

I cant remember discussing this with DL before.

I was talking about in general, as in the last few discussions on this subject, not really talking about you or this discussion in particular. Though I might have misremembered on that point either way (not with regards to Dl though).
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #154 on: September 15, 2014, 03:07:50 AM »

svt.se also has them all, just put the name of the municipality in here: http://valresultat.svt.se/

As you can see from the numbers I posted above  Lund has many of the typical university town features: Strong Greens and strong feminists and weak SAP due to lack of traditional working class voters. Given its demographics 9,3% for SD is a lot, but it is Scania where the party is strong (region with high immigration).

First, cheers for the links.

I was surprised by Lund last election because it was a uni city and the moderate party still crushed the SAP. Obviously that tendency has been reversed but in other countries students tend to still vote tactically for your bang avarage centre-left party in national elections but go crazy in

Our youth is becoming more and more right-wing though. Gone are the days when they would join a random xyz Marxist parties. Nowadays anybody on social media who bashes benefit thieves gets thumbs up and high fives, etc.

We will see a massive swing to the right in Europe in the next generation : a good chunk working class voters will side with anti-globalist, far right parties with left-wing economic platforms that they cannot deliver. Middle class will side with those who talk about less government, less taxes, less benefits. Centre-left parties will disintegrate because they won't be fashionable anymore unless they are catch-all alliances like the PD in Italy. The elite will laugh and go for dinner on election day.

We'll slowly see a transformation of the European far-right into an EU Republican Party and the centre neo-liberal right into the EU Democrats. The Americanisation of our society will be complete.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #155 on: September 15, 2014, 03:11:22 AM »

Why is it that Stockholm votes so much more to the right than the rest of Sweden while in Denmark Copenhagen is much more leftwing than the rest of Denmark

Are? you? for? real??? Have you seriously forgotten that you've asked this question about 4 times before, and already gotten the same answer from different posters over and over. If you do not suffer from amnesia I have a hard time thinking you can have missed that.

I know you lived in Stockholm for a while in your youth, and that you have this very romantacised picture of the city, which is very hard to reconcile with the politics of the place. But you really need to stop asking this question if you're never going to be willing to accept the answer.

Thank you!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #156 on: September 15, 2014, 03:16:48 AM »

The Schlussresultat (final results) is starting to come in:

http://www.val.se/val/val2014/slutresultat/R/rike/index.html

I guess votes from the Swedes abroad are now counted ...
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #157 on: September 15, 2014, 03:22:19 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2014, 03:39:05 AM by politicus »

We'll slowly see a transformation of the European far-right into an EU Republican Party and the centre neo-liberal right into the EU Democrats. The Americanisation of our society will be complete.

I disagree, I think the far right (which are better called nationalist populists) will adopt more leftist economic policies since that's the niche that's left open by the decline of Social Democrats and their supporters are relatively poor. In some countries they will probably also cooperate with Social Democrats to block the neoliberal agenda.
Europeans will continue to expect more from the state than Americans, so a Republican style party will not succeed..

Also at some point we will see a new left wing generation - assuming that their own generation is the last and the end of history is a common fallacy of youngs.

DL
Canada

« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2014, 06:52:53 AM »

Why is it that Stockholm votes so much more to the right than the rest of Sweden while in Denmark Copenhagen is much more leftwing than the rest of Denmark

Are? you? for? real??? Have you seriously forgotten that you've asked this question about 4 times before, and already gotten the same answer from different posters over and over. If you do not suffer from amnesia I have a hard time thinking you can have missed that.

]

Thank you!

I may have posed this question ONCE several years ago if that, I don't why you feel the need to be insulting. If you want sift through the archive of every single thing I have ever posted on this site then please do and show me where I have "asked the exact same question" FOUR times. And BTW there are some topics that merit being rehashed every four or five years (if not more)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2014, 06:56:26 AM »

]

Thank you!

I may have posed this question ONCE several years ago if that, I don't why you feel the need to be insulting. If you want sift through the archive of every single thing I have ever posted on this site then please do and show me where I have "asked the exact same question" FOUR times. And BTW there are some topics that merit being rehashed every four or five years (if not more)

Don't worry, he did the same with me when I brought up the ballot-thing again yesterday ... Wink

Maybe Cheese just has an eidetic memory and remembers all the stuff that happened 10 years ago, or even his birth ... Tongue
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2014, 07:11:30 AM »

]

Thank you!

Don't worry, he did the same with me when I brought up the ballot-thing again yesterday ... Wink

I do not count on people remembering the answer to every question I answered four years ago, especially not if it relates to how ballots in Sweden works, but DL has, quite literally gotten his question about why Stockholm is more centre-right than most European capitals answered in every thread that some-how relates to Swedish elections.  There's even a discussion on it in the Denmark 2011 thread.

As Lurker said, it's the same discussion between the same people over and over again.

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2014, 09:43:17 AM »

I disagree, I think the far right (which are better called nationalist populists) will adopt more leftist economic policies since that's the niche that's left open by the decline of Social Democrats and their supporters are relatively poor. In some countries they will probably also cooperate with Social Democrats to block the neoliberal agenda.
Europeans will continue to expect more from the state than Americans, so a Republican style party will not succeed..

Also at some point we will see a new left wing generation - assuming that their own generation is the last and the end of history is a common fallacy of youngs.

Michel Onfray (french philosopher) said the only thing stopping the Communist Party of France from getting the 25%-35% ''it deserves'' is its inability to distance itself with what Onfray calls 'La Gauche Culturelle'. While I think he's exaggerating that score, he's right in saying the cultural act of being a ''leftist'' is unfashionable and totally out of touch with working class people. They do not give a flying  about Maoist China or Fidel Castro's beard.

But seriously have you seen the youth of today? Any radicals are alienated or tend to be far right intellectuals of the Soral type (make some complicated argument in order to obscure the fact that you don't like gays because it's against the status quo). The internet is just one big popularity contest where you go on your own forum and spout the slogans some fat dude with a shotgun over the Atlantic wants to hear.

We are screwed.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2014, 09:58:53 AM »

Michel Onfray (french philosopher) said the only thing stopping the Communist Party of France from getting the 25%-35% ''it deserves'' is its inability to distance itself with what Onfray calls 'La Gauche Culturelle'. While I think he's exaggerating that score, he's right in saying the cultural act of being a ''leftist'' is unfashionable and totally out of touch with working class people. They do not give a flying  about Maoist China or Fidel Castro's beard.

But seriously have you seen the youth of today? Any radicals are alienated or tend to be far right intellectuals of the Soral type (make some complicated argument in order to obscure the fact that you don't like gays because it's against the status quo). The internet is just one big popularity contest where you go on your own forum and spout the slogans some fat dude with a shotgun over the Atlantic wants to hear.

We are screwed.

My (last) point was that "the youth of today" matters less than young people think. Its just one generation. Others will follow and each generation reacts against its predecessors.
njwes
United States

« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2014, 10:00:09 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2014, 10:05:30 AM by njwes »

We are screwed.

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but it's 2014, is this really news? It's been clear for many decades that most of those on the left--especially intellectuals and "cultural leftists"--are completely out of touch with the working class/lower classes they claim to want to liberate....

Perhaps it's different in Europe, but in the US there's little that well-educated urban leftists despise more than working-class culture.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2014, 10:03:06 AM »

What did you people expect, that mixing egg throwing (after SD), calling for mass immigration and ignoring SD would result in SD not getting a great election.

SD could not have asked for a greater PR campaign than what the rest of the Swedish political establishment gave them, and the worst part of it, is that the Swedish political establishment and medias, will use the next four years on making them even bigger at next election.

So no it could not have gone better than it did, because that would have demanded a entirely different behaviour from the political establishment and the media.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2014, 10:04:32 AM »

We are screwed.

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but it's 2014, is this really news? It's been clear for many decades that most of those on the left--especially intellectuals and "cultural leftists"--are completely out of touch with the working class/lower classes they claim to want to liberate....

I would say that no most are not out of touch with the working class, but the left's culture warriors are.
njwes
United States

« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2014, 10:07:28 AM »

I would say that no most are not out of touch with the working class, but the left's culture warriors are.

I'll take that, and I think that's more accurate. It did sound to me like the elite was being described in JosepBroz's post though
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2014, 10:23:18 AM »

This thread is getting way too sage for its own good.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »

What do you expect? Its a Sweden thread without any Swedes to give us some proper analysis (most of them are probably drowning their sorrows, Gustaf might actually be celebrating). Idle speculation, sagery and rhetorical grand standing is bound to fill the void.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2014, 11:10:40 AM »

What do you expect? Its a Sweden thread without any Swedes to give us some proper analysis (most of them are probably drowning their sorrows, Gustaf might actually be celebrating). Idle speculation, sagery and rhetorical grand standing is bound to fill the void.

I've bought a huge bag of candy to devour them. Comfort eating is the way. Don't worry though, I'll post something more noteworthy (analysis, maps), later tonight or tomorrow. 
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2014, 11:17:17 AM »

What did you people expect, that mixing egg throwing (after SD), calling for mass immigration and ignoring SD would result in SD not getting a great election.

SD could not have asked for a greater PR campaign than what the rest of the Swedish political establishment gave them, and the worst part of it, is that the Swedish political establishment and medias, will use the next four years on making them even bigger at next election.

So no it could not have gone better than it did, because that would have demanded a entirely different behaviour from the political establishment and the media.

There's a difference between 11% and 13%.

The problem here is that the opinions of the elite - at least the liberal establishment and definitely Reinfeldt - appear to be sincere. And why cater to populism when that's what the Danes have done, leading to DF aspiring on pole position?

I do find it interesting that the Danish media appears to treat Sweden about the same as our media treats SD.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2014, 11:21:13 AM »

The usual leading party map; provisional figures o/c so be warned etc.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2014, 11:43:32 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2014, 11:47:07 AM by ingemann »

There's a difference between 11% and 13%.

The problem here is that the opinions of the elite - at least the liberal establishment and definitely Reinfeldt - appear to be sincere. And why cater to populism when that's what the Danes have done, leading to DF aspiring on pole position?

The Danish establishment behaved exactly as the Swedish one, the first few election DPP took part in, ity's why we look at you and think you're idiots for making the same mistakes as we did and taking them even further.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes I guess Danish media mostly ignore Sweden outside things like elections and of course the broadcast receiving licence media have to cover Sweden and Norway a little more, that's in their chapter.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2014, 11:47:20 AM »

It seems F! is doing much better in the count of absentee ballots or whatever it is. They're at 3.8% there now, even though not a single district of Stockholm has been counted yet. Smiley That's an increase of 3.3% from last election.

Some 7% of districts have been counted.

Or these are maybe all votes being counted a 2nd time? It's all a bit confusing...
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2014, 11:51:02 AM »

It seems F! is doing much better in the count of absentee ballots or whatever it is. They're at 3.8% there now, even though not a single district of Stockholm has been counted yet. Smiley That's an increase of 3.3% from last election.

Some 7% of districts have been counted.

Or these are maybe all votes being counted a 2nd time? It's all a bit confusing...

Yay so they have wasted even more of the left's votes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies