Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:53:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Author Topic: Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014)  (Read 30487 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2014, 03:23:29 AM »

Yeah I see some problems with this one.

Fi's economic policies are very close to V, they should be much closer each other on the left-right scale than you have put them. FP should be the most EU positive out of all parties (they're federalist) and C should be the most EU-skeptical out of the Alliance parties.

The June List doesn't actually want to leave the European Union, so they are by no means more EU skeptical than V, they're also founded by former Social Democrats, so they should neither be the furthest right on this scale. Putting SD to the right of M is also... very questionable.

Why is the June List even on this btw? They're as good as non-existent these days. They only got eight votes in total this election.

I was going to say the chart made no sense but you beat me to it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2014, 03:51:45 AM »

This thread is getting way too sage for its own good.

What do you expect? Its a Sweden thread without any Swedes to give us some proper analysis (most of them are probably drowning their sorrows, Gustaf might actually be celebrating). Idle speculation, sagery and rhetorical grand standing is bound to fill the void.

Why would I be celebrating?

The "leftists" managing to throw away what looked like a certain victory, likely paving the way for a swift return of the centre-right in a couple of years. For an Alliance supporter this result is as good as it could realistically get.

Anyway, that post was obviously not 100% serious.

So according to val.se, the official results have just finished to be counted a couple minutes ago. Tongue

Turnout is at 85.80% (+1.23), the highest figure since 199
4. The only good thing to come out of this election, I guess.

And 1,21% higher than the Scottish referendum - a testimony to the failure of Scotland's Choice that they couldn't get a higher turnout for their nation's choice of a lifetime than a regular Scandinavian parliamentary election.

The British and Americans could learn a thing or two from the Swedes. Hold an election, get a result that's 99,9% accurate in 4 hours and then finish the "fine counting" in 4,5 days. That's the way to do it.

I was expecting the left to mess things up. I am a little entertained by the chaos so I'm happy I got something out of a pretty uninspired campaign. But like most Alliance supporters I'm a bit disappointed that what was overall a pretty good government got voted out, mostly because people shifted to the losers in SD.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #227 on: September 20, 2014, 10:21:52 AM »

No comment on my charts? :/
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #228 on: September 20, 2014, 10:32:54 AM »

They were very beautiful charts, though I'm slightly unsure over your decisson to use the same line for both New Democracy and SD.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2014, 10:44:09 AM »

They were very beautiful charts, though I'm slightly unsure over your decisson to use the same line for both New Democracy and SD.

Yeah, that was unfortunate (even moreso as it includes the nazis of the 1930s as well as modern neonazis), but the chart is already quite a mess without having to add more colors. Tongue

I was thinking about comments on the patterns though. Wink Like the left barely reaching its 2006 levels even when FI is counted among them, or the increasing marginalization of non-M Alliance parties, or the fact that SD's rise seems to be linked with increased turnout.
Colbert
France

« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »

quartile maps by party. 29 counties, 7 counties by colors, so the 15th best perfom is colored in same color as the closed score, light blue or light green

cities were parties realize their relative best performance :

Stockholm : M, MP, C, FP, F!

Göteborg : V, KD

Malmö : S, SD
swl
France

« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2014, 11:53:27 AM »
« Edited: September 20, 2014, 11:55:49 AM by swl »

An expert survey made by some guys at the University of Gothenburg.

Why is the June List even on this btw? They're as good as non-existent these days. They only got eight votes in total this election.
The survey was made in the context of the EU election, since the June list got 3% in the 2009 election, I suppose they assumed they would be still relevant in 2014.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #232 on: September 20, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »

An expert survey made by some guys at the University of Gothenburg.

In that case its really strange that it deviates so much from the common perception, there are some genuine oddities in the chart (as SCheese pointed out)..
swl
France

« Reply #233 on: September 20, 2014, 12:24:25 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2014, 12:42:37 PM by swl »

I think there is something wrong with the sovereignty-integration dimension, I will check it again.

Concerning the Left-Right dimension, here is how it looks like if I try to split it up:

I don't know Sweden politics enough to really analyse it. Concerning the difference between V and FI, there is a small difference on economic issues, but the main gap is on social issues, which is a bit weird at first sight. Apparently it's because of completely opposite positions on drugs. Is is true or a mistake in the survey?
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #234 on: September 21, 2014, 01:22:23 AM »

I think there is something wrong with the sovereignty-integration dimension, I will check it again.

Concerning the Left-Right dimension, here is how it looks like if I try to split it up:

I don't know Sweden politics enough to really analyse it. Concerning the difference between V and FI, there is a small difference on economic issues, but the main gap is on social issues, which is a bit weird at first sight. Apparently it's because of completely opposite positions on drugs. Is is true or a mistake in the survey?

The survey in general seems a bit fishy if you ask me. (Especially considering the June List) I don't know that much about either V or FI's politic positions when it comes to drugs to say in that particular case, though it seems strange that such a (from a Swedish perspective) minor issue would  affect the left-right scale in such a drastic manner.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #235 on: September 21, 2014, 06:09:35 AM »

Yeah, I still call nonsense on this. Putting F! right next to S on fiscal issues when they reject the notion of a budget or putting JL at the far right point when they were basically slightly centre-right are two glaring examples.
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #236 on: September 21, 2014, 03:33:56 PM »

Sweden has a system with personal votes, where a voter can choose to vote for a specific candidate on the list. If a candidate gets 5% (formerly 8%) of all the party votes in a specific constituency then they are elevated to the top of the list.

The most notable example in 2014 was in Jönköping County, Sweden's bible belt. The Christian Democrats had two seats here in 2010 and topped their list with two junior ministers, Minister of the Elderly and Children Maria Larsson and Minister of Housing and Public Affairs Stefan Attefall. Not only did they barely lose one of their mandates, but mostly unknown backbencher Andreas Carlson managed to edge past both of them in personal votes and cross the 5% threshold, kicking them both out of the Riksdag.

Here follows a map of the KD personal votes in Jönköping County by municipality. You can probably find the home municipalities of each candidate. Note the insane local support for Carlson in his native Mullsjö, that brought him to the top together with a strong second place finish in Jönköping, the major city and Attefall's home base (he is not a native, which might have contributed to his demise).

Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #237 on: September 22, 2014, 06:14:46 AM »

Favorite son effects are utterly moronic. People who vote that way should be sent to the moon.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2014, 08:15:44 AM »

Scandinavia and the World weights in on the election. 

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2014, 08:27:55 AM »

Haha, so true.

Poor, poor Sweden. Sad
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2014, 08:44:23 AM »

Denmark is the best Cheesy
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #241 on: September 25, 2014, 07:53:21 PM »

Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #242 on: September 26, 2014, 03:20:52 AM »

This has probably been asked before, though in other wording, but why is there this political divide between the parts, that had been danish in medieval and early modern times (Skane and the western coast) and the rest?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #243 on: September 26, 2014, 04:07:26 AM »
« Edited: September 26, 2014, 04:42:59 AM by politicus »

This has probably been asked before, though in other wording, but why is there this political divide between the parts, that had been danish in medieval and early modern times (Skane and the western coast) and the rest?

Their pre-1645/58 history is at least irrelevant (and it would be strange if it was relevant).
Since the other former Danish/Norwegian areas have quite different voting patterns: Blekinge is an SAP stronghold and the island of Gotland and Jemtland/Herjedalen (in the north) don't fit the Scania or West Coast pattern.

Why Scania, Halland and Bohuslen votes somewhat similar I dunno, but its all densely populated by Swedish standards.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: September 26, 2014, 05:06:44 AM »

How do you mean? The obvious answer is that Skåne and Halland are pretty rich areas, just like Stockholm, and thus very predictably vote more right-wing. Not sure if you want an explanation of why they are richer. Skåne has a lot of immigrants which may contribute to SD support.

(But I'll grant that I find it a bit mysterious that Skåne hates foreigners so much. Stockholm also has a lot of immigrants but very low SD support)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #245 on: September 26, 2014, 05:17:12 AM »

Press conference today, Löfven announces that he's forming a government with MP but not much in the way of new information. Beyond his statement of basically selling out anything that could be called left and rule like a right-winger Cheesy
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #246 on: September 26, 2014, 05:25:19 AM »
« Edited: September 26, 2014, 05:30:52 AM by politicus »

Press conference today, Löfven announces that he's forming a government with MP but not much in the way of new information. Beyond his statement of basically selling out anything that could be called left and rule like a right-winger Cheesy

Ah, a Social Democratic/progressive centrist-government following bourgeois policies, with a True Leftist party (which they depend on for support) being ignored and isolated. Sounds familiar.
Swedish politics just seems to become progressively more Danish.

Going the HTS route will be costly, though, it allows SD to go on the attack.

How do you mean? The obvious answer is that Skåne and Halland are pretty rich areas, just like Stockholm, and thus very predictably vote more right-wing.

How about Bohuslen? Is it above average as well?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #247 on: September 26, 2014, 05:57:02 AM »

What an idiot. SAP deserves to die at this point.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #248 on: September 26, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »

And SDs will probably be at 25% by the next election.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #249 on: September 26, 2014, 08:48:12 AM »

Purple heart

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How about Bohuslen? Is it above average as well?
[/quote]

Yes, Bohuslän basically consists of 1) Evangelical Fishers (Votes KD), 2) Wealthy Gothenburg suburbs, and 3) Upper-crust coastal vacation towns.

What an idiot. SAP deserves to die at this point.

Well, to be fair to SAP (which is not something I'm not very fond of being) the centre-left is 16 seats short of a majority, so it's not as if they have very much of a choice at this point.   
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies