Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:26:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014)  (Read 30634 times)
njwes
United States

« on: September 14, 2014, 04:20:27 PM »

Any good seat breakdowns yet?
njwes
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 04:29:47 PM »

Also where are municipal results posted?
njwes
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »

Thank you!
njwes
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 04:44:17 PM »

the new government will likely keep Reinfeldt promise about taking 360 000 Syrian refugees in the next 4 years

I may be misremembering but didn't the government essentially agree to take an unlimited number, like as many as could make it to Sweden?
njwes
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 05:43:25 PM »

No Pharrell Williams effect apparently. Sad

It would be pretty embarrassing if a foreign singer with no particular political background or insight could sway a notable portion of the Swedish electorate tbh
njwes
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 05:49:31 PM »

Well he wasn't the only one, ABBA Benny spent a fortune on the party as well. Tongue

They should have brought in the A*Teens for backup
njwes
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 10:00:09 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2014, 10:05:30 AM by njwes »

Michel Onfray (french philosopher) said the only thing stopping the Communist Party of France from getting the 25%-35% ''it deserves'' is its inability to distance itself with what Onfray calls 'La Gauche Culturelle'. While I think he's exaggerating that score, he's right in saying the cultural act of being a ''leftist'' is unfashionable and totally out of touch with working class people. They do not give a flying  about Maoist China or Fidel Castro's beard.

But seriously have you seen the youth of today? Any radicals are alienated or tend to be far right intellectuals of the Soral type (make some complicated argument in order to obscure the fact that you don't like gays because it's against the status quo). The internet is just one big popularity contest where you go on your own forum and spout the slogans some fat dude with a shotgun over the Atlantic wants to hear.

We are screwed.

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but it's 2014, is this really news? It's been clear for many decades that most of those on the left--especially intellectuals and "cultural leftists"--are completely out of touch with the working class/lower classes they claim to want to liberate....

Perhaps it's different in Europe, but in the US there's little that well-educated urban leftists despise more than working-class culture.
njwes
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 10:07:28 AM »

I would say that no most are not out of touch with the working class, but the left's culture warriors are.

I'll take that, and I think that's more accurate. It did sound to me like the elite was being described in JosepBroz's post though
njwes
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »

This thread is rather melodramatic, given that the centre-left parties still managed to form government and won a decent share of the vote. If they perform well, who knows, they could be back with a majority in four years time.

Also since SD only got 13% and frankly 13% of any voting public can be convinced to vote for pretty much anything if there's enough discontent there. If anything the upset Swedes should be happy that the promises of unlimited 3rd-world Muslim immigration didn't result in a way bigger SD result.

Curious what the Red-Green Vote vs Non-Red-Green Vote map looks like
njwes
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 12:33:25 PM »

The only sort of shocker is that the Sweden Democrats opened up for the idea of hypothetically supporting the "least bad" budget in a upcoming budget vote. Something that could end up bringing down the incoming government. This naturally caused a hysteric frenzy among the assembled journalists who seemed to be willing to declare early elections then and there, despite Jimmie Åkesson himself calling the scenario very unlikely.

Why would that potentially bring down the incoming government?
njwes
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 12:55:15 PM »

The only sort of shocker is that the Sweden Democrats opened up for the idea of hypothetically supporting the "least bad" budget in a upcoming budget vote. Something that could end up bringing down the incoming government. This naturally caused a hysteric frenzy among the assembled journalists who seemed to be willing to declare early elections then and there, despite Jimmie Åkesson himself calling the scenario very unlikely.

Why would that potentially bring down the incoming government?

A failure to pass a budget in Sweden does not result in a government shut down, as it would in America. Instead the government is forced to resign and early elections are held. In other words, if SD would for some reason choose to vote for the Alliance's shadow budget instead of abstaining, that would mean the government's budget would have less votes than another budget and thus wouldn't pass, which means they'd be forced to resign.

Hope that is a clear answer to the question. Smiley 

Yes, thank you! I didn't realize that triggered a new election. Though, I was under the impression that they were more to the left on government/economic issues, is it certain that the right bloc's budget would be the "least bad" to them?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies