Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:14:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014)  (Read 30842 times)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« on: September 14, 2014, 06:00:03 PM »

I wonder how Lund voted?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 03:07:50 AM »

svt.se also has them all, just put the name of the municipality in here: http://valresultat.svt.se/

As you can see from the numbers I posted above  Lund has many of the typical university town features: Strong Greens and strong feminists and weak SAP due to lack of traditional working class voters. Given its demographics 9,3% for SD is a lot, but it is Scania where the party is strong (region with high immigration).

First, cheers for the links.

I was surprised by Lund last election because it was a uni city and the moderate party still crushed the SAP. Obviously that tendency has been reversed but in other countries students tend to still vote tactically for your bang avarage centre-left party in national elections but go crazy in

Our youth is becoming more and more right-wing though. Gone are the days when they would join a random xyz Marxist parties. Nowadays anybody on social media who bashes benefit thieves gets thumbs up and high fives, etc.

We will see a massive swing to the right in Europe in the next generation : a good chunk working class voters will side with anti-globalist, far right parties with left-wing economic platforms that they cannot deliver. Middle class will side with those who talk about less government, less taxes, less benefits. Centre-left parties will disintegrate because they won't be fashionable anymore unless they are catch-all alliances like the PD in Italy. The elite will laugh and go for dinner on election day.

We'll slowly see a transformation of the European far-right into an EU Republican Party and the centre neo-liberal right into the EU Democrats. The Americanisation of our society will be complete.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:43:17 AM »

We'll slowly see a transformation of the European far-right into an EU Republican Party and the centre neo-liberal right into the EU Democrats. The Americanisation of our society will be complete.

I disagree, I think the far right (which are better called nationalist populists) will adopt more leftist economic policies since that's the niche that's left open by the decline of Social Democrats and their supporters are relatively poor. In some countries they will probably also cooperate with Social Democrats to block the neoliberal agenda.
Europeans will continue to expect more from the state than Americans, so a Republican style party will not succeed..

Also at some point we will see a new left wing generation - assuming that their own generation is the last and the end of history is a common fallacy of youngs.

Michel Onfray (french philosopher) said the only thing stopping the Communist Party of France from getting the 25%-35% ''it deserves'' is its inability to distance itself with what Onfray calls 'La Gauche Culturelle'. While I think he's exaggerating that score, he's right in saying the cultural act of being a ''leftist'' is unfashionable and totally out of touch with working class people. They do not give a flying  about Maoist China or Fidel Castro's beard.

But seriously have you seen the youth of today? Any radicals are alienated or tend to be far right intellectuals of the Soral type (make some complicated argument in order to obscure the fact that you don't like gays because it's against the status quo). The internet is just one big popularity contest where you go on your own forum and spout the slogans some fat dude with a shotgun over the Atlantic wants to hear.

We are screwed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies