Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:15:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sweden election results thread (Sept 14, 2014)  (Read 30604 times)
Lurker
Norway
« on: September 14, 2014, 01:06:05 PM »

Big difference between the exit polls. Novus has it almost tied at 44-43 and SVT gives the Red-Greens a five point lead at 45-40. FI just makes the treshold in both. If the former is true, then the pollster will have really screwed up here.

Though sadly for the Red-Greens, even the addition of FI does not seem to give them a majority.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 01:13:06 PM »

Here you go: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/valaret2014/riksdag/Valresultat/

Lurker
Norway
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 02:58:16 PM »

FI will not make treshold according to SVT's current prognosis. Sweden Democrats estimated to get 13%.

Red-Greens clearly bigger than Alliance.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 03:47:30 PM »

I guess this result will mean a center-left minority government with a significant chance of a mid-term election.

I don't think Sweden has ever had a "mid-term election"...the centre left will find some way to stay in power until 2018 - there is no alternative

Sweden had elections in 1958, 1960 and 1970 after 2 years.   

I think he means "early election". Only 1958 counts as one. 1960 was at the regular date, and 1970 was due to Swedish constitutional reforms.  In other words, they have not had an early election in 56 years.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2014, 04:01:27 PM by Lurker »

I wonder whether the Alliance will try to hang on to power after all. The statements of a government minister indicates that they might do so.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 03:55:44 PM »

Sweden had elections in 1958, 1960 and 1970 after 2 years.   

The 1958 election is the only one that counts. in 1970 they had an early election because they changed the entire constitution and eliminated the upper house. It wasn't because of a government falling.

I know, but its still a mid-term. Why wouldn't 1960 count? 1921 with the SAP/Communist split counts as well.

Of course today they have fixed terms, so its only of historical interest.

I don't think 1960 could have been held at a later date. In the event of an early election, the next election would still have to take place four years after the last "regular" election (i.e., not like in the UK, Denmark, etc. - Swedens early election rules are/were more restricted).
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 03:57:18 PM »

If it is true that the elections have fixed dates then I agree it is likely that the S-MP-V will survive since it is almost impossible for the center-right parties to have a position coalition.  It is easy to get them to agree on a negative coalition, like vote down the budget.

You don't trust us?

They do have fixed dates, but an early election is a constitutional possibility. It's not like in Norway, where early elections are not allowed at all.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 04:17:32 PM »

Reinfeldt has announced his resignation.

Both as PM and party leader.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 04:26:51 PM »

Reinfeldt has announced his resignation.

Both as PM and party leader.

Bastard. Wink

Ursäkta mig! I couldn't let a Swede break this news. Wink
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 05:56:17 PM »

At least you can take comfort in the fact that FI not only got the support of most Swedish artists, but also by 100% of American rappers who participated in the election. Wink

(Sorry for that, it's getting late...)
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 06:01:07 PM »

The Red-Greens have only added on 2 seats net...

Terrible.

No, 'terrible' would be losing the election. It's a shame that 3% of left votes were effectively wasted, but we all knew that might happen.

Indeed, this was pretty much what we all expected. The only surprise being that SD got a higher share of the vote than most predicted, but that makes little difference. While this was obviously not one of the great Social Democratic victories, the centre-left will still be in a much better position than in the past eight years.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 02:07:46 AM »

Any possibility of the Social Democrats forming a government with the Left, Greens, and some of the smaller (and somewhat more moderate) Alliance parties-ie KD or C?

Also how accurate is Swedish Cheese's portrayal of F! as some sort of Rush Limbaugh caricature of feminists?

No. The Alliance parties have already ruled it out. The chance of it was always very remote, even though many in the media (and the Social Democrats themselves) would have wished for it. There will be a minority government, in which the Social Democrats and Greens will take part (and maybe V, though I doubt it).
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 02:49:57 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2014, 02:51:28 AM by Lurker »

Ah, the old discussion of why Stockholm is right-wing (it wasn't last night, actually...). No offense, but I feel like DL is the one who asks that question every single time, with the same people replying and the same counter-arguments from DL. Tongue

(It is an interesting topic, but not sure why Stockholm gets all this attention - centre-right cities aren't that unusual)
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 03:06:21 AM »

Ah, the old discussion of why Stockholm is right-wing (it wasn't last night, actually...). No offense, but I feel like DL is the one who asks that question every single time, with the same people replying and the same counter-arguments from DL. Tongue

(It is an interesting topic, but not sure why Stockholm gets all this attention - centre-right cities aren't that unusual)

I cant remember discussing this with DL before.

I was talking about in general, as in the last few discussions on this subject, not really talking about you or this discussion in particular. Though I might have misremembered on that point either way (not with regards to Dl though).
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 01:19:43 PM »

No one would really benefit from early elections.

The only chance of an early election happening is if the Sweden Democrats decides to troll the Red-Greens, and vote for the centre-right's budget proposal. That would of course trigger one.  

Now, there wouldn't be a chance in hell of a serious political party doing that, but unfortunately we're talking about the Sweden Democrats...
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 10:55:06 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2014, 10:58:48 AM by Lurker »

I'm not entirely sure if I see the logic there.

Sweden has a system of negative parliamentarism (as you probably know). As such Vänsterpartiet's support is not needed in the vote for the formation of the government.

They could have voted "yes", of course, but that would signal active support for a government they weren't allowed to be part of. Therefore, abstaining seems like the best option for them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies