538 on Alaska polling
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:34:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  538 on Alaska polling
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 538 on Alaska polling  (Read 687 times)
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2014, 06:49:07 PM »

http://53eig.ht/1sSSR3s

Interesting point here about the history of Alaska polling being inaccurate. Begich shouldn't be feeling too comfortable.
JRP1994

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:39:44 PM »

tl:dr version: Alaska polls since 1998 have averaged a 7.2% Democrat bias.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:41:55 PM »

This is why I think Sullivan will win in the end.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 08:15:28 PM »

This is why I think Sullivan will win in the end.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 08:18:39 PM »

Of course, the big question is: could it possibly just be an incumbency bias? Most of these races seem to have underestimated Republican incumbents. Hawaii definitely has incumbency bias, so it's possible Alaska could as well. I guess we'll see in November.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 08:31:02 PM »

Of course, the big question is: could it possibly just be an incumbency bias? Most of these races seem to have underestimated Republican incumbents. Hawaii definitely has incumbency bias, so it's possible Alaska could as well. I guess we'll see in November.

No.  George W. Bush wasn't an incumbent in 2000.  The 2000 Presidential race was included in the analysis, as was the 2008 Presidential race, which also had no Republican incumbent.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »

No.  George W. Bush wasn't an incumbent in 2000.  The 2000 Presidential race was included in the analysis, as was the 2008 Presidential race, which also had no Republican incumbent.

I think he's talking about the within Alaska races where, say, a Republican incumbent was running.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 08:34:06 PM »

I think he's talking about the within Alaska races where, say, a Republican incumbent was running.

The Presidential races also show a real polling bias toward the Democratic candidate.  It's not just incumbency.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 08:38:07 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2014, 08:44:58 PM by IceSpear »

No.  George W. Bush wasn't an incumbent in 2000.  The 2000 Presidential race was included in the analysis, as was the 2008 Presidential race, which also had no Republican incumbent.

The Presidential races also show a real polling bias toward the Democratic candidate.  It's not just incumbency.

True, but 2008 had Palin. This article also doesn't include 2010 Senate, where the polls massively underestimated incumbent Murkowski who was running as a write-in.

Too bad there weren't any Alaska polls in 2012 (that I could find). I do remember Obama doing a lot better there than expected though, similar to Bush in Hawaii in 2004.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 06:56:03 PM »

Alaska natives traditionally been swingy. Perhaps related?
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 08:50:43 AM »

Where do the polled Alaskans live? Only in Achorage? I mean it must be horrifying for the pollsters to poll such a huge state with an extremely low population density.
How many Alaskans have phones and Internet at all?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 12:41:42 PM »

Where do the polled Alaskans live? Only in Achorage? I mean it must be horrifying for the pollsters to poll such a huge state with an extremely low population density.
How many Alaskans have phones and Internet at all?

I would assume rural Alaskans living outside of the Anchorage metro would be more likely to have a phone as it's their only means of communicating with the outside world (including the dudes who deliver their food supply)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies