College Students at Forefront of Labor Organizing (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:55:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  College Students at Forefront of Labor Organizing (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College Students at Forefront of Labor Organizing  (Read 2793 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: April 09, 2005, 05:38:47 PM »

...college students are unlikely to become members of a labor union later in life, it is likely that they will change their views in time.

Hah, they should be so lucky.  The main reason for this is not that people with undergraduate degrees make decent money, it is simply that union jobs are a rare and declining portion of the economy.  There is no reason why 'white collar' jobs should not be unionized.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 06:09:23 PM »

...college students are unlikely to become members of a labor union later in life, it is likely that they will change their views in time.

Hah, they should be so lucky.  The main reason for this is not that people with undergraduate degrees make decent money, it is simply that union jobs are a rare and declining portion of the economy.  There is no reason why 'white collar' jobs should not be unionized.

THANK YOU!  I got offered a job at Deloitte in the low $40s and they wanted me to leave my government job at 40 hrs. per week at $38,000 to work 50-60 for them for little more money.  I declined!  By past standards, students coming out of college are getting shafted and can't start their adult lives until they're 30-35.  Dazzleman, if you don't think this is a problem, you're naive.

A salary of from $38,000 to the low fourties would be quite tolerable in St. Louis to start, but I know you're in Philadelphia.  But to expect more than 40 hours is quite unreasonable and should certainly be covered by overtime legislation (time and a half).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies