Current laws against SSM are not unequal? Sure... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:59:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Current laws against SSM are not unequal? Sure... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Current laws against SSM are not unequal? Sure...  (Read 3017 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: September 16, 2014, 09:41:48 AM »

I thought I'd seen some rather convoluted arguments in the SSM debate, but this one from the letters to the editor of the local newspaper Monday has to take the cake.
http://www.thestate.com/2014/09/15/3677195/monday-letters-gay-marriage-a.html
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Let the laughter commence, and rightly so.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »

It's literally the exact same "logic" people used against legalizing inter-racial marriage. "You still have equal rights: The right to marry anyone from your race!"

Actually, it's worse than that.  It would be as if one argued back then that restricting interracial marriage is all right is acceptable if all races are affected, but that for instance a law that only banned whites from marrying non-whites while allowing people from different non-white races to marry would be wrong.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 09:54:35 PM »

That's up there with "gay men have the same right as straight men to marry the woman of their choice."

I do not miss the arguments of the 90s and early 2000s.

I was going to say that the argument made by Mr. Gosnell of Spartanburg was way better than that one.

No it's not.  I fail to see how Mr. Gosnell's argument has any logical foundation.  The "gay men have the same right as straight men to marry the woman of their choice" is logical but depends upon a view of marriage based on complementary gender roles and a view of gender as being purely anatomically determined.  Yet even with opposite sex marriage, marriage under the law has long since abandoned the first viewpoint and kept the second more out of inertia than any other reason.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies