Olive Garden takes triumphant stance against Wall Street
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:54:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Olive Garden takes triumphant stance against Wall Street
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Olive Garden takes triumphant stance against Wall Street  (Read 2570 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/olive-garden-defends-breadstick-policy-153421358--finance.html

Hedge fund managers demand Olive Garden stop giving free breadsticks and overfilled salad bowls to the proletariat, OG says "hell no, mamma mia, we won't go!"
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 12:07:34 PM »

The worst part of this Olive Garden report is that they apparently don't salt their pasta water. Obama needs to do something about this.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 12:08:20 PM »

Good.  Olive Garden is a wonderful place.  May the breadsticks never cease!
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 12:25:19 PM »

Olive Garden Breadstick Policy:

From the ovens according to their ability, to each table according to its need.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »

Olive Garden is actually pretty good if you put it out of your mind that it's meant to be an Italian restaurant. This just cements that.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 12:36:11 PM »

rebuttal from the Wall Street fatcats who want to limit the breadstick supply:

you see apparently three breadsticks per customer on average is somehow an egregious waste and it's all the fault of the servers for not following draconian breadstick allotment guidelines
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 01:56:55 PM »

Olive Garden is actually pretty good if you put it out of your mind that it's meant to be an Italian restaurant. This just cements that.

Tell my parents that. The only way I was able to get my dad to like any Italian restaurant better was to take him to a local cheap college trattoria, after several attempts at several different Italian restaurants. (And Olive Garden is still his second-favourite "Italian" restaurant)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 02:04:47 PM »

What ever would we do if they didn't give us more breadsticks than we want to eat?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 02:23:08 PM »

What kind of a person eats three breadsticks? I've heard terrible things about Olive Garden, but is it really so bad that patrons must gorge themselves well before the main course even arrives?

And apparently, just based on this thread, there are people that go to a certain restaurant because of their breadsticks.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 03:51:32 PM »

Olive Garden breadsticks = delicious
Everything else at Olive Garden = literal garbage

I hope that explains the situation.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 04:17:32 PM »

Olive Garden breadsticks = delicious
Everything else at Olive Garden = literal garbage

I hope that explains the situation.

^^^^^

If you're going to slum it up by eating at Olive Garden, it's pretty much obligatory to go whole-hog and gorge yourself on the infinite supply of delicious breadsticks
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 07:25:12 PM »

The best part of this affair is the first sentence of the news story linked above:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 07:50:21 PM »

The best part of this affair is the first sentence of the news story linked above:

At least they are doing SOMETHING authentically Italian. 
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 08:36:11 PM »

Maybe it's because I haven't been there in a while, but I don't understand why the place is so hated. It's not lowest common denominator food like McDonalds and it is a sit-down rather than fast food even though people treat it like it is one.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 08:53:12 PM »

Maybe it's because I haven't been there in a while, but I don't understand why the place is so hated. It's not lowest common denominator food like McDonalds and it is a sit-down rather than fast food even though people treat it like it is one.

Personally, I don't understand these chain restaurants.  Olive Garden is more expensive than my local authentic Italian place that uses locally sourced ingredients.  My understand is that Olive Garden is pretty mediocre, bland food.  If you like really like bread, just buy some bread.  Why do you want to buy $22 entree so have the privilege of wolfing down 40 cents worth of bread?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 09:51:37 PM »

Personally, I don't understand these chain restaurants.  Olive Garden is more expensive than my local authentic Italian place that uses locally sourced ingredients.  My understand is that Olive Garden is pretty mediocre, bland food.  If you like really like bread, just buy some bread.  Why do you want to buy $22 entree so have the privilege of wolfing down 40 cents worth of bread?

Most Americans don't live in hip places that have locally-sourced authentic Italian restaurants. Olive Garden is usually the only choice.

There's an Olive Garden in Jackson, but it's impossible to eat there, because there's already a line out the door every evening before 5 PM. If you get there at 6, it will be more than an hour wait.
KCDem

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »

Most Americans don't live in hip places that have locally-sourced authentic Italian restaurants. Olive Garden is usually the only choice.

There's an Olive Garden in Jackson, but it's impossible to eat there, because there's already a line out the door every evening before 5 PM. If you get there at 6, it will be more than an hour wait.

Most Americans should move.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 11:27:42 AM »

Speaking of moving, why is this in Off Topic now?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 11:51:29 AM »

I take issue with this. If a town is big enough to have an Olive Garden I guarantee that it has at least four or five Italian restaurants that are more authentic and serve better food at lower prices than Olive Garden. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever been to a small town that had an Olive Garden, I can only recall them being in larger towns (50 - 60k +). In my town (80k or so) we have 7 or 8 great Italian places actually run by Italians, and I'm in the South...

I think that Olive Garden, like Applebee's/Red Lobster/Chili's/PF Changs etc serves mainly travelers and large groups. The food is bland and consistent enough that nearly everyone can eat there. It's safe and serves a purpose. I definitely wouldn't go to the one in my town with friends or wife however, it would be a waste when I know there are better places.

I'd probably steer clear of a restaurant that advertised its ingredients as "locally-sourced", because I feel like I'd be more likely to see wheat-grass ravioli and tofu parmesan on the menu than something I'd want to eat (let alone pay for).
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »

I take issue with this. If a town is big enough to have an Olive Garden I guarantee that it has at least four or five Italian restaurants that are more authentic and serve better food at lower prices than Olive Garden. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever been to a small town that had an Olive Garden, I can only recall them being in larger towns (50 - 60k +). In my town (80k or so) we have 7 or 8 great Italian places actually run by Italians, and I'm in the South...

I think that Olive Garden, like Applebee's/Red Lobster/Chili's/PF Changs etc serves mainly travelers and large groups. The food is bland and consistent enough that nearly everyone can eat there. It's safe and serves a purpose. I definitely wouldn't go to the one in my town with friends or wife however, it would be a waste when I know there are better places.

I'd probably steer clear of a restaurant that advertised its ingredients as "locally-sourced", because I feel like I'd be more likely to see wheat-grass ravioli and tofu parmesan on the menu than something I'd want to eat (let alone pay for).

I don't think you know what locally sourced means. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 12:24:46 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2014, 12:26:40 PM by King »

Why shouldn't we consider Olive Garden an Italian restaurant? It's Americanized favorites, for sure, but it's not like you won't see Spaghetti and Meatballs at every mom and pop local Italian joint either. In fact, local places with more trained chefs tend to bastardize the food more adding twists (green chile chicken lasagna is a weird one you see a lot out here).

It's got pasta, it's got garlic, it's got tomatoes, it's got basil. It's Eye-tally-an
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 01:52:46 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2014, 01:58:14 PM by useful idiot »

Personally, I don't understand these chain restaurants.  Olive Garden is more expensive than my local authentic Italian place that uses locally sourced ingredients.  My understand is that Olive Garden is pretty mediocre, bland food.  If you like really like bread, just buy some bread.  Why do you want to buy $22 entree so have the privilege of wolfing down 40 cents worth of bread?

I'm aware of what it means and I'm aware of the sort of restaurants that use that specific phrase in their branding. Places who advertise as such are almost always some sort of fusion cuisine, rarely authentic.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 02:48:01 PM »

Personally, I don't understand these chain restaurants.  Olive Garden is more expensive than my local authentic Italian place that uses locally sourced ingredients.  My understand is that Olive Garden is pretty mediocre, bland food.  If you like really like bread, just buy some bread.  Why do you want to buy $22 entree so have the privilege of wolfing down 40 cents worth of bread?

I'm aware of what it means and I'm aware of the sort of restaurants that use that specific phrase in their branding. Places who advertise as such are almost always some sort of fusion cuisine, rarely authentic.

I've found it to mean that a restaurant cares about their ingredients and creates relationships with local farmers and ranchers so they can get awesome tasting products.  It makes a difference to have  fresh ingredients versus whatever junk you can buy at Costco.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 03:48:12 AM »

I've found it to mean that a restaurant cares about their ingredients and creates relationships with local farmers and ranchers so they can get awesome tasting products.  It makes a difference to have  fresh ingredients versus whatever junk you can buy at Costco.

Even in the Bay Area, the foodiest of foodies still go to Costco for groceries. Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 04:19:12 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies