PA2: Amendment to the Revised Rules of Order (Voting on extending debate)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:00:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  PA2: Amendment to the Revised Rules of Order (Voting on extending debate)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA2: Amendment to the Revised Rules of Order (Voting on extending debate)  (Read 439 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:57:50 PM »
« edited: September 30, 2014, 08:17:30 PM by Governor Varavour »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

SECTION 4. AMENDMENTS REGARDING THE INTRODUCTION OF LEGISLATION

1. Section 4, Clause 3 of the Rules of Order is amended by the striking of the phrase ", with the exception of ....", and the insertion of a full stop at the end of the clause.

2. Section 4 of the Rules of Order is amended by the appendage of an additional clause, between Clause 3 and the present Clause 4, reading as follows:

3. The clauses shall be re-numbered in consideration of the insertion of an additional clause as the fourth clause.

SECTION 5. AMENDMENT REGARDING FORMAT OF LEGISLATION

1. An amendment is made to the Rules of Order by the appendage of an additional section, reading as follows:

SECTION 6. AMENDMENT ON RULES SUPERSEDED

1. An amendment is made to the Rules of Order by the appendage of the additional section, reading as follows:

[/quote]
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 11:58:59 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2014, 12:52:11 AM by Governor Varavour »

[/quote]

Sponsor: Governor Varavour
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:18:02 AM »

Alright Governor, can you explain this for us please?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 01:01:56 AM »

A couple corrections, and the inclusion of an anti-clogging rule, formatting guidelines, and a clear provision specifying that the new Rules of Order supercede the old ones.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »

Since there is no debate, a final vote is open. AYE
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 01:13:04 PM »

Mr Speaker, your closure of debate is in contravention to the Rules of Order as they currently stand, as stated in Section 5, Clause 1 in particular:

This is worth debating, perhaps?
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 12:13:41 AM »

Gee making an *inks* of myself seems to be my specialty this week. Ignore the vote, and continue debate please.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 12:45:44 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2014, 01:13:57 AM by Governor Varavour »

I am interested in making a few further changes at the moment. One would be an additional clause in the new Section 6 that establishes a citation format for legislation (i.e. HR 3842, Bill C-12, etc). I am thinking something along the lines of... before I go on I see there are several Clause 2s in Section 6, which is obviously wrong. But I was imagining a Clause 5 that would read.

i.e., the Be Safe When You Drive Act, which was the 3rd piece of legislation passed by the 10th Council, would be cited as "Leg. C10-3".

Also, I would simplify the procedure for ending debate after it has been extended indefinitely. I would change Section 5, Clause 4 so it would read:

I would also want to go back and define the two types of legislation the Legislative Council deliberates upon are resolutions (internally binding) and bills (externally binding, that is, Acts when passed). Constitutional amendments would be adopted via acts and thus would not need a separate distinction. A bit of editing here and there... which would be a pain in terms of writing it out.

I mean the rest of you ought to have some thoughts on all this. Are there parts that do not make sense from what you've seen? The Rules of Order must be comprehensive yet at the same time comprehensible.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 05:50:27 AM »

Just to pop in here shortly.
You refer to the legislative body always as "Legislative Council". However, the Constitution always refers to our legislative body as "Pacific Council". Surely, the difference is practically non-existent, but legally speaking I guess you would refer always to another legislative body, not created in the constitution. Maybe add a sentence that changes the name from "Pacific Council" to "Legislative Council"?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »

Just to pop in here shortly.
You refer to the legislative body always as "Legislative Council". However, the Constitution always refers to our legislative body as "Pacific Council". Surely, the difference is practically non-existent, but legally speaking I guess you would refer always to another legislative body, not created in the constitution. Maybe add a sentence that changes the name from "Pacific Council" to "Legislative Council"?

Sec. 2, Cl. 2 of the Revised Rules of Order (as they presently stand) do just that.

Standard debate time has now ended.

I would like to make some further changes to the Revised Rules of Order through this bill, therefore , I move to extend debate until otherwise motioned. If no objections to this motion are made within 12 hours, it will be considered carried.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies