Gun control loons getting loonier
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:13:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gun control loons getting loonier
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Gun control loons getting loonier  (Read 5644 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:10:48 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
They want to ban a gun that costs more than the average car, that's never been used in a crime.....le sigh.

And they aren't above flat out lying, but we already knew that....link
Except it's actually the exact opposite, they've halved.  FBI pdf link for 1996 (page 18 if you don't believe me) (546 rifle deaths, 673 shotgun=1219) and FBI link 2012 (322 rifle, 303 shotgun=625....and 678 people were murdered with no weapon other than fists and feet).
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 11:37:29 AM »

Why is this so crazy?

If we're talking about essentially military weapons, what is the point of owning them?  You don't go deer hunting with an M-16.  There is no legitimate purpose for consumers owning these guns.

And, you're correct that the risk in terms of volume of incidents is low.  Any gun that you can't conceal in your clothing is going to be fairly useless for most street crime.  I think the concern is something like the Port Arthur massacre.  If you have a maniac with a gun, you don't want them to have a fast-firing, long-range rifle.  The same goes for a terrorist incident.  You don't want Al Qaeda to legally purchase crazy weapons of war in this country. 

So, there it is, the risk is low, but it's not negligible either.  But, the benefit to allowing people to have these guns is practically nothing.  There's no reason to risk any incident so that some upscale redneck can pretend he's Rambo.  Or, what about this compromise, you can buy your crazy weapons, but they can't leave a secure, licensed shooting range? 

As far as your point about gun control people being loony, I think that's unfair.  I think people talk about these big, scary rifles because it's concrete and salacious.  It's easy to say, "ban these rifles," versus, more police foot patrols, more gun buybacks, more money for ATF agents.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:49:08 AM »

Why is this so crazy?

If we're talking about essentially military weapons, what is the point of owning them?  You don't go deer hunting with an M-16.
The civilian equivalent is an excellent hunting rifle, many many thousands of Americans use them every year.
Except that there is.
The gun in the article is NOT fast firing and isn't pick up and magically kill anything aimed at.  It takes training.
Rambo preferred automatics.
You can buy a Mustang, but they can't leave a secure, licensed race track.  You can buy a swimming pool, but you must provide a life guard for every 202 ft of pool, 24/7/365.  How's that sound?
No, it's loony.  Banning these rifles will do nothing but make gun nuts (of which I'm not) say, "told you Obama was going to take our guns".  It won't reduce crime and it won't stop a lone nut hell bent on destruction.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 12:19:19 PM »

You can play that game with any particular gun.  Sure, one boutique model of gun is probably not significant.  It's an issue of where you draw the line between legal and illegal. 

My argument is that you should evaluate any particular gun as a cost-benefit analysis.  Ultimately, consumers ought to be able to buy guns for hunting, target shooting and killing people.  But, if we're talking about some potentially dangerous gun, I don't see the harm in just buying a different gun for your purpose whether it's pheasant hunting or killing crips.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:28:38 PM »

Also, for the aforementioned gun nuts, everything is a piece of evidence that Obama is going to take their guns. Literally everything.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 04:04:02 PM »

The gun nuts are the crazy ones. Senator Pryor voted against the extremely popular background checks, and yet the NRA is still attacking him.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 04:33:02 PM »

I don't understand pointing out the weapon's cost. The fact that it is pricey means that it should be available to all who can afford it?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 05:05:28 PM »

The loons are the ones that think military-grade deadly weapons should be legally owned by civilians.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 05:07:55 PM »

If we're talking about essentially military weapons, what is the point of owning them?  You don't go deer hunting with an M-16.  There is no legitimate purpose for consumers owning these guns.

First off, this rifle is akin to an M21 not a M16. As dead0man already pointed out, sniper rifles are a completely different beast than automatic rifles.  And you know what, while I don't see the appeal personally, especially at the price, I can easily see some hunting enthusiast wanting one so as to be able to brag about bringing down a trophy deer with a single shot at 1000 yards.  So the no legitimate purpose argument can be quickly be discarded.  So can the anti-terrorist argument since actual terrorist groups such as ISIL and DPM already have access to military sniper rifles that serve the same purpose and are cheaper.

You can play that game with any particular gun.  Sure, one boutique model of gun is probably not significant.  It's an issue of where you draw the line between legal and illegal.

True, but there is no bright line separating this gun from a "legitimate" hunting rifle, so trying to ban it will arouse a whole lot of heat from the pro-gun nuts, and even if the anti-gun nuts were to win such a battle, it's doubtful the win would end up having saved any lives as even if a genuine nut were to make use of it, that nut would likely have killed and wounded more people with a different gun.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 05:22:22 PM »

Roll Eyes
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 06:49:28 PM »

So the CEO of some organization nobody's ever heard of and nobody cares about makes some statement that no one will listen to advocating a law that no one will pass ... and this deserves a thread?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »

So the CEO of some organization nobody's ever heard of and nobody cares about makes some statement that no one will listen to advocating a law that no one will pass ... and this deserves a thread?

We need something to do while waiting for the Scottish referendum results.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »

I don't understand pointing out the weapon's cost. The fact that it is pricey means that it should be available to all who can afford it?
The price of the gun sh**ts on the theory that it's going to be gun used only by "insurrectionists, terrorists and hate groups".  Why would those groups drop nearly 30 large on something when they can get the exact same effect for $100?  Make no bones, this is a gun for rich folk (or otherwise people willing to drop a butt ton of money on a singe firearm), but that doesn't mean it should be illegal either.
So the CEO of some organization nobody's ever heard of and nobody cares about
They got Starbucks to reverse their gun policy (in the wrong direction).
I heard about it, as did you.
This is true, thank Og.
Sure, why not?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 10:42:13 PM »

So the CEO of some organization nobody's ever heard of and nobody cares about
They got Starbucks to reverse their gun policy (in the wrong direction).

Why does Starbucks have a gun policy?  Are they standing in they way of sovereign citizens defending themselves against over-roasted coffee and Norah Jones CDs with lethal force?   
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 11:21:54 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2014, 07:33:19 PM by AggregateDemand »

The definition of insanity: people who've never owned a gun or fired a gun, telling Americans the proper way to buy, own and use firearms.

If people believe you can just point a laser at a target and then shoot it, I've got a bridge to sell them. The variables are vast, and the programming work is intense. Everything is custom in precision shooting, except for the most expensive mil-spec equipment, which costs as much as the PGF system and isn't necessarily available to civilians. PGF sells weapons systems, and the specify that the gun can only shoot certain types of cartridges.

The PGF is good for helping novice marksmen hit the broad side of a barn. If any of you have seen the Motherboard documentary, the long PGF kill was 1099 yards about 1 year ago. Youtube has videos of 12 year old kids making kills at that distance without PGF.

This is a tempest in a tea cup.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 02:44:09 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2014, 02:46:16 PM by DemPGH, President »

Oh, I was prepared for something that was actually restrictive. That's a high tech, cutting edge sniper rifle. Yeah, needs to be banned. And if no one can afford it, so what?
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »

My thoughts summed up:

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 07:51:32 PM »

Of course I believe only the government should have guns.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 08:49:54 PM »

Why?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »

In some places, such as Great Britain, the police usually do not have guns.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 11:08:50 PM »

Except that there is.

What is a private citizen going to use a $27,500 sniper rifle for?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 01:10:34 AM »

Since we have a government of the people, doesn't that mean that the people should have guns?  In a democracy, all the citizens are the government.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 01:12:42 AM »

Because that totally hasn't caused any problems in other countries before, Ms. Feinstein
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 01:59:28 AM »

And you know what, while I don't see the appeal personally, especially at the price, I can easily see some hunting enthusiast wanting one so as to be able to brag about bringing down a trophy deer with a single shot at 1000 yards.  So the no legitimate purpose argument can be quickly be discarded.

It's nothing really to brag about if the gun is doing all the work.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 06:49:22 AM »

The same reason only the government should have fighter jets and armoured tanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies