Scottish independence referendum results thread (Sept 18, 2014)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:05:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish independence referendum results thread (Sept 18, 2014)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25
Author Topic: Scottish independence referendum results thread (Sept 18, 2014)  (Read 69838 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: September 19, 2014, 01:54:42 AM »

Well, that was to be expected. There was no reason to believe the polls were wrong (and if they were, they would most likely be skewed toward Yes). That's a pity, but at least I'm glad it didn't end in an extremely close No win: that would have been depressing.

The Scots unambiguously made their choice, so good for them.
njwes
United States

« Reply #476 on: September 19, 2014, 01:56:41 AM »

Firstly, why do you think it has that name? Second, they had a problem with getting some of the boxes to the counting centre: there was a crash on the road they were being brought on, delaying things by a couple of hours.

The Guardian website lists it as "Highland," in fairness.

I think the point is that it's hardly surprising that it's difficult and takes a long time to transport ballots around an area called highlands, due to, you know, the hills.

oooooooh haha whoopsie, embarrassing -_____-
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #477 on: September 19, 2014, 01:59:41 AM »

Firstly, why do you think it has that name? Second, they had a problem with getting some of the boxes to the counting centre: there was a crash on the road they were being brought on, delaying things by a couple of hours.

The Guardian website lists it as "Highland," in fairness.

I think the point is that it's hardly surprising that it's difficult and takes a long time to transport ballots around an area called highlands, due to, you know, the hills.

oooooooh haha whoopsie, embarrassing -_____-

Yeah, the problem is they had to transport them all to one central place to count. We're waiting on the slowest truck of ballots from some hilly precinct in the Scottish Highlands.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #478 on: September 19, 2014, 02:15:13 AM »

Highland @53-47 no.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #479 on: September 19, 2014, 02:16:07 AM »

A bit disappointed that the results were not closer (I predicted a 50.4% win for NO) and the fact that turnout was lower than in Sweden (84.5% as a percentage of registered voters, 82.1% as a percentage of all eligible voters 16+).

But yeah, the Scottish people made their choice and it's probably the best this way (even though Independence would have been fun to watch).

It looks like my earlier speculation, that old reliable voters (concerned about their pensions and their NHS-services) came out in droves and voted NO, was right.
KCDem

« Reply #480 on: September 19, 2014, 02:19:04 AM »

This is how freedom dies.
Donnie

« Reply #481 on: September 19, 2014, 02:23:13 AM »

FINAL RESULTS:

NO        2,001,926       55.30%
YES           1,617,989       44.70%

Turnout
 84.59%
Knives
solopop
« Reply #482 on: September 19, 2014, 02:32:59 AM »

This is a prime example of freedom, you absolute dumb .
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #483 on: September 19, 2014, 02:43:13 AM »

Never thought I'd underestimate the No victory by 1.2% in the predictions...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #484 on: September 19, 2014, 02:59:25 AM »

Turnout is really disappointing though. WTF, people? How in the world can you not get your asses to the polling station when the stakes are so high? I really though we were getting a figure around 90%.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #485 on: September 19, 2014, 03:22:45 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2014, 04:35:39 AM by Lowly Griff »

So here's a make-shift map with the final results using afleitch's template, with all the wards for each district colored to reflect the district's results.

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #486 on: September 19, 2014, 04:18:13 AM »

Dundee looks off.

Short version of my view on the results: No has not only won, but won by enough to avoid too much dispute. It's a clean with for no, and while it's remarkable that 44.7% of Scots were prepared to leave the Union, it puts the issue to bed for a while in a way that a 52% win would not have.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #487 on: September 19, 2014, 04:35:15 AM »

Dundee looks off.

Short version of my view on the results: No has not only won, but won by enough to avoid too much dispute. It's a clean with for no, and while it's remarkable that 44.7% of Scots were prepared to leave the Union, it puts the issue to bed for a while in a way that a 52% win would not have.

Oh, wow. I had actually fixed that in the image right after I posted, but apparently I just copied and pasted the URL to the old map again instead of the updated one. It's now fixed.
swl
France

« Reply #488 on: September 19, 2014, 04:40:41 AM »

With a 10 points victory, do you think Westminster leaders are going to regret their promises about further devolution now?

Good luck to Scotland and the UK.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #489 on: September 19, 2014, 04:46:09 AM »

With a 10 points victory, do you think Westminster leaders are going to regret their promises about further devolution now?

Good luck to Scotland and the UK.

No, since it would have been smaller if not.

It's in fact a big victory for the Yes. They never planned or wished winning, the whole purpose was to put pressure on London to get Devo-Max. They reached that goal.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #490 on: September 19, 2014, 05:11:09 AM »

84,59% is a very disappointing turnout given that 97% of eligible voters registered and the high level of commitment to vote expressed in the polls, some Yes supporters likely got scared in the end and stayed home.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #491 on: September 19, 2014, 05:13:39 AM »

It's in fact a big victory for the Yes. They never planned or wished winning, the whole purpose was to put pressure on London to get Devo-Max. They reached that goal.

That's quite some spin.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #492 on: September 19, 2014, 05:16:12 AM »

84,59% is a very disappointing turnout given that 97% of eligible voters registered and the high level of commitment to vote expressed in the polls, some Yes supporters likely got scared in the end and stayed home.

Indeed, that's really depressing. I was really thinking that whatever the result, we'd get an amazing turnout level.  It seems that the No didn't really overperform, but the Yes underperformed massively.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #493 on: September 19, 2014, 05:23:43 AM »

That's quite some spin.

That's not spin, I had no opinion on the referendum. But, look back at the beginning of the campaign. Nobody thought Yes could win. No didn't took the campaign seriously until two weeks ago (it was led by some Brown-era Labour minister).

Nobody thought it was serious, because it wasn't. It was a plot.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #494 on: September 19, 2014, 05:26:18 AM »

That's quite some spin.

Salmond initially wanted Devo Max on the ballot. Westminster said no, thinking that a vote on independence would be a walk in the park. Then they had to hurriedly promise all sorts of powers to Holyrood, essentially snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. If the SNP continues to govern, it'll do so with more powers while still being in a position to blame Westminster for any and all ills.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #495 on: September 19, 2014, 05:26:55 AM »

For what its worth the unofficial leaks from those counting says its 53-47 No. Just in case anybody wants to go to bed...

Spot on. It turned out to be 53,08% No and 46,92 Yes. Glad I didn't wait up!
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #496 on: September 19, 2014, 05:29:31 AM »

Indeed, that's really depressing. I was really thinking that whatever the result, we'd get an amazing turnout level.  It seems that the No didn't really overperform, but the Yes underperformed massively.

An 85% turnout is one not to be sniffed at (in my opinion), given that turnout for elections to the Scottish Parliament hovers at only 50% or so. Indeed, as I recall, no election to the Westminster Parliament has ever had a turnout of more than about 83%. So its actually pretty impressive that the turnout has been this high.
swl
France

« Reply #497 on: September 19, 2014, 05:39:07 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2014, 05:45:11 AM by swl »

A lot of foreigners were allowed to vote (EU and Commonwealth citizens), and even for recent immigrants who have British citizenship, I find it quite normal to be neutral on this identity question.

If I were living in Scotland I wouldn't have voted even if I had an opinion.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #498 on: September 19, 2014, 06:49:45 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2014, 06:51:53 AM by Phony Moderate »

YouGov has probably now sealed its place as the UK's premier pollster. Its exit poll-type thing pretty darn accurate and the now-famous 51-49 Yes lead poll of theirs may have guaranteed vast and much-needed constitutional changes all by itself.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #499 on: September 19, 2014, 06:50:43 AM »

pounding headache this morning.  A little hair o' the dog should fix it.  Ah, Monkey Shoulder, the breakfast of champions.  Maybe a little coenzyme Q-10 as well.

I see it was fifty-something percent yes to forty-something percent no.  Any surprise there?  Probably to the close-watchers, but as I recall this was basically the mainstream prediction.

Not sure how I'd have voted since I don't live there, but I imagine I'd have voted yes no matter the cause or issue, just because it's always satisfying to stick a finger in the eye of authority.  According to WaPo this morning, all the UK and Scotish politicians are kissing and hugging.  Even the biggest supporters of independence are making calls for peace and love and harmony, so I don't think that the stock market will crash after all, and planes won't fall out of the sky, and we can go back to arguing about important things like whether Miley Cyrus is a virgin or whether David Cameron is hot or not.

It was fun, though, waiting to see if there'd be a new country.  You scots should do this again soon.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies