Scottish independence referendum results thread (Sept 18, 2014) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:41:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish independence referendum results thread (Sept 18, 2014) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish independence referendum results thread (Sept 18, 2014)  (Read 71177 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »

Yeah, an American criticizing a country for its election administration is quite rich.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:51:43 PM »

I'm actually kinda glad I will be sleeping when all this mess unfolds. At least I won't have any false hopes, and will know the definitive results right at the beginning. It's not fun, but at least it's not stressful...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 02:15:27 PM »

Interesting note that IPSOS-MORI have tweeted that if turnout actually breaches 80% then their polls probably won't be valid.

Wasn't the assumption that it almost certainly would do so?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 04:02:19 PM »

So why don't they do exit polls anyway?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »

All right guys, see you tomorrow, hopefully (but probably not) to comment on the bright future of this brand new country. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 01:54:42 AM »

Well, that was to be expected. There was no reason to believe the polls were wrong (and if they were, they would most likely be skewed toward Yes). That's a pity, but at least I'm glad it didn't end in an extremely close No win: that would have been depressing.

The Scots unambiguously made their choice, so good for them.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 02:59:25 AM »

Turnout is really disappointing though. WTF, people? How in the world can you not get your asses to the polling station when the stakes are so high? I really though we were getting a figure around 90%.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 05:16:12 AM »

84,59% is a very disappointing turnout given that 97% of eligible voters registered and the high level of commitment to vote expressed in the polls, some Yes supporters likely got scared in the end and stayed home.

Indeed, that's really depressing. I was really thinking that whatever the result, we'd get an amazing turnout level.  It seems that the No didn't really overperform, but the Yes underperformed massively.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 10:16:40 AM »

I posted this to fb, but it works here too.

-----------

I'm feeling vaguely heartbroken, and I had nothing to gain or lose.

A dark part of me says that I did have something to gain - English pain - which is a drug I can't get enough of. But realistically, I was approaching this from a reasonably unaffected place.

But, stupidly, I allowed myself some hope. I really did hope that Scotland would be independent, not out of hatred for the Poms, or love for the Scots, but out of a desire to see something radical happen. Something that wasn't just 'economically sensible', or realist, or establishment sanctioned. Something that proved democracy was still alive, and that the average man or woman on the street had a voice, and that it mattered. A voice with the future in mind, a voice free of fear, a voice for equity, for community, and for freedom.

Not freedom for the Scots, but freedom for the people who want to be able to have their future in their own hands.

I know this was idealistic, and I know the Scotland is still part of one of the strongest democracies in the world - although Britain does have real issues with civil liberties, and there is, at least for now, a significant list of concerns with how democracy truly works in the UK - but the status quo is not particularly satisfactory.

Maybe independence in Scotland would change absolutely nothing for the world at large, and I was unreasonable, maybe presumptuous, maybe offensive, when I put more on this referendum than simply yes or no to a question about where Scotland's future would lie.

I wish the people of Scotland well, and can't argue with their decision, it was a decisive result. But I can still be disappointed with it, not because there won't be a new flag for the UK (and perhaps Australia), not because there won't be another country in the world, but because for once there was a chance for change to the current world order that didn't involve terror, that wasn't based on market capitalism, that wasn't about the delicate balance of global diplomacy, but was simply about one small country on the other side of the world choosing a new road without guns or bombs, fiscal bullying or lesser evil decision making.

Yeah, I have similar feelings - although not nearly as passionate as yours. I think it's a hell of a wasted opportunity, but I already knew that was going to end up like that, and there are so many things that suck in the world that I need to spare my energies.

Also, there's the silver lining that we might still have a chance to send Cameron packing, which would be sweet.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 12:41:55 PM »

I assume all the jokes about a PM called Salmond whose second-in-command is called Sturgeon have already been made long before I became aware of this fact, but regarldess...

ROFLMAO!!!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 02:03:36 PM »

Forgive my utter ignorance, but wasn't Scotland (at least in the centuries that followed reformation) predominately Calvinist?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 03:48:18 AM »

"Once in a generation" should mean around 20 years, no? This seems like a reasonable time span. It would be a huge mistake for the independence camp to rush into a new referendum too soon (unless some dramatic event significantly and durably alters public opinion, but it's hard to imagine), it would probably backfire.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 03:44:54 AM »

The SNP will of course start arguing for another referendun very soon. Salmond even hinted towards another one in his concession speech.

I don't see any reason why London should grant them one before 20 years though (at the earliest). In the campaign the SNP were pretty clear about this being a "once in a generation" opportunity.

Having a referendum within the next 10 years would be a freaking stupid idea anyway (unless Westminster reneges on its promises or decides to leave the EU). Voters don't like to be asked the same question after they've provided a clear answer.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 12:48:43 PM »

Can someone make up a cool map once every council has released their data? Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies