I don't understand the Jim Webb potential candidacy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:48:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  I don't understand the Jim Webb potential candidacy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I don't understand the Jim Webb potential candidacy  (Read 1034 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2014, 09:23:59 PM »

As reported in the tea leaves thread, Webb was in Iowa last month and gave a non-denial on the question of a presidential run.  Now he's talking about it again:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=164982.msg4311493#msg4311493

Webb seems like an unlikely prospect to be a presidential candidate.  I got the impression that he only ran for Senate because he was ticked off about the Iraq War, but otherwise wasn't really all that interested in elective office.  That's why he quit after one term.  Now he wants to run for president?

In any case, if he did run, what would his niche be?  I'm struggling to imagine what a Webb campaign would look like.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 09:35:47 PM »

If he wanted to be President, he should have made more of an effort to be Obama's veep.

Demographically, an elderly white guy who served in the Reagan administration is probably not who Democratic primary voters are looking for.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »

Where does Webb fit ideologically, relative to Clinton?  I know he was against the Iraq War, but do we have any other clues as to how he would compare to her on foreign policy?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:49:28 PM »

Jim Webb would be my first choice after Hillary Clinton.  I think he would be a very strong candidate. 

Jim Webb was actually not a one issue candidate or a one issue Senator.  He was a major voice on the prison industrial complex problem, he led the fight to pass a new GI bill and he actually talked a ton about wealth inequality.  I think he has way more progressive chops than most of the Democratic field if Hillary opts out. 
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 10:16:21 PM »

Where does Webb fit ideologically, relative to Clinton?  I know he was against the Iraq War, but do we have any other clues as to how he would compare to her on foreign policy?

This is the question. If he runs to her right, there could be an opening for him. If he runs to her left, he'll have to compete with potential candidates like Sanders and O'Malley.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 10:38:17 PM »

Jim Webb's appeal is to the disaffecteds - those who are concerned about economic inequality and lack of mobility but also skeptical of big government and may be turned off by liberal identity politics.
pendragon
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:48:11 PM »

Jim Webb would be an ideal candidate in the Democratic party of 1976.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 12:58:13 AM »

Of note:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jim-webb-mulls-2016-run-pose-clinton-challenge/story?id=25708072

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Webb will turn 70 in 2016.  Biden, Sanders, and Webb could all run against Clinton and she'd still be the youngest candidate in the field(!).
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 07:53:56 AM »

I just read a piece on whether there could be a strong third party candidate in this cycle, and another about how Huntsman was interested in that. A third party bid is something that would keep Webb slightly longer than a doomed primary challenge.

Jim Webb's appeal is to the disaffecteds - those who are concerned about economic inequality and lack of mobility but also skeptical of big government and may be turned off by liberal identity politics.
There is also a type of primary voter who won't support someone who has been a national figure for 25 years. They're the people who went for McCain in 2000, Obama in 2008 and Ron Paul in 2012.

Webb could have a stronger appeal for that group.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 09:41:07 PM »

I don't understand it either.  He quit after one term and reportedly hated/was terrible at retail politics.  Has he somehow picked up a taste for retail politics since he retired?  Otherwise Iowa and New Hampshire will go badly. 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 09:57:29 PM »

Maybe he's just bored.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 10:43:06 PM »

Man, do you guys remember that moment when he overtook George Allen on election night in '06 though? That was the best.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 02:59:14 AM »

Skepticism about Webb 2016:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119557/jim-webb-president-why-hes-unlikely-run-2016

You must be logged in to read this quote.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 11:17:15 AM »

Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if he campaigned for a few months, suggesting alternatives to the airstrikes, before withdrawing.
AelroseB

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 08:18:04 PM »

I suppose you could say that he's, moderately, socially conservative and economically progressive.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 07:53:16 PM »

If I had to pick one older conservative Democrat over another, I guess I'd pick Webb.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 08:37:24 PM »

Talk about someone who has no personality.  There is absolutely no charisma in the man.  That alone would doom his chances.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies