How would a Free Scotland be politically different from the UK? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:34:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How would a Free Scotland be politically different from the UK? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would a Free Scotland be politically different from the UK?  (Read 3794 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« on: September 19, 2014, 09:33:10 PM »

So, Scotland would be the fiscal conservatives, and Britain would be the social conservatives right??? amirite???

Twenty years ago it would actually be the other way round. Now Scotland is mostly Liberal in the US sense.

(or: "lame joke is lame", to quote Kitteh)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »

So, Scotland would be the fiscal conservatives, and Britain would be the social conservatives right??? amirite???

Twenty years ago it would actually be the other way round. Now Scotland is mostly Liberal in the US sense.

It's a reference to a now-infamous post from outofbox6, who claimed that "Western Ukraine is more fiscally conservative while Eastern Ukraine is more socially conservative"

Exactly, and it is a lame joke.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 04:24:02 AM »

It's a reference to a now-infamous post from outofbox6, who claimed that "Western Ukraine is more fiscally conservative while Eastern Ukraine is more socially conservative"

Exactly, and it is a lame joke.

What? It's some of the funniest nonsense ever posted here.

It was very funny in the Ukraine context, I just think the whole Atlas meme-culture is a bit annoying.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2014, 09:03:34 PM by politicus »

I am tempted to suggest you should just delete it and start a new one, but I'll try if I can help you get it back on track.

Generally Scotland would be more Social Democratic, since Labour would be stronger and SNP would pursue mainly SD policies. In general the Scottish centre-right would be much more moderate than the British Tories are today. A lot would obviously depend on the country's economy, since SD policies are costly.

Immigration: Much more positive towards labour immigration because of shrinking and ageing population. More humanitarian refugee policy.

Defence: Nuclear free and with a small military.

Education: Lower tuition fees, would try to make tertiary education free if it could afford so. Higher focus on vocational training.

Environment: Would generally be greener and try to make renewable energy a priority, but with some notable exceptions, such as fish farms and the oil sector.  

Business: Would try actively to use public funds (oil money) to re-industrialize the country.

EU: Much more positive attitude - might even join the Euro if it gets back on track.

Foreign policy: Would try to develop a partnership with the Nordic countries. Lower profile in international military operations than Britain.

Welfare: Would try to develop a better social safety network, to the extent it could afford so.

There would be more differences, but that's what I can think of top of my head.

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 07:36:30 AM »

Can we stop with the incredibly tired "zomg America is so right-wing compared to Europe!" meme?

That's very much off topic and we were trying to get this thread back on track.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 08:03:38 AM »

Can we stop with the incredibly tired "zomg America is so right-wing compared to Europe!" meme?

1. There are more posts on that topic in this thread than on any other topic, so I would say that it is, by definition, "on topic."
2. Nobody is preventing you from posting whatever you want that you feel is "on topic."

The topic of a thread is the one in the OP ie. the one that the thread creator wanted to discuss. It is not a subjective matter.

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 08:17:19 AM »

1. There are more posts on that topic in this thread than on any other topic, so I would say that it is, by definition, "on topic."
2. Nobody is preventing you from posting whatever you want that you feel is "on topic."

The topic of a thread is the one in the OP ie. the one that the thread creator wanted to discuss. It is not a subjective matter.

No, the topic of the thread is whatever people are talking about. If the rule were otherwise, Dave would have set the forum software to lock all threads after 5 pages or so, because nobody's still talking about what the OP said at that point.

Threads can evolve naturally towards other aspects, or they can be derailed. Derailing threads is not good forum etiquette. In this one Starwatcher specifically asked us to get back on topic, ignoring that and going on in a completely different direction is rude.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 09:25:46 AM »

David I don't think you will ever get this back on topic, so I suggest you lock it.

I have created a new one on Political Debate with the few posts that are actually on topic - editing Eric's a little so the US comparison he got mocked for is removed.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=199259.msg4311858#new

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies